Budget Deba Recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
yummycrackers

Budget Deba Recommendation

Post by yummycrackers »

Hello everyone,

Having received some excellent advice here, I thought I'd ask for some more. I'm looking for a single-bevel deba for fish butchery, which I'll be using once-twice a week for snapper, bass, bream, mackerel etc. up to about 1.5kgs in weight. Having only ever used western filleting knives before, my idea was to start out on a budget (< $150) to see how I get on with this knife style, though from what I understand it can be difficult to find a quality single-bevel knife at this price point. With all of that in mind, I have three main questions:
1) For fish of this size, would it be best to go for a 165mm or a 180mm deba?
2) Does it make sense to try out a "budget" option such as the Tojiro Shirogami line or would it be best to wait and buy a higher quality one further on down the line?
3) Which debas would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Max
Qapla'

Re: Budget Deba Recommendation

Post by Qapla' »

Unfortunately, the Korin 20% off sale is over; you could've had a Korin righty white-3 165mm deba within your budget. I can't recommend any specifics as I am not a deba-user, but you can still get that one for $180.

Are you righty?
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

Qapla', thanks for the info. I am indeed a righty, which does make things easier. What is White #3 like as a steel? Would it be a significant compromise with respect to W#2 for a knife of this type? Incidentally, it seems to be out of stock for 4+ months according to them.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

For the size fish you want, a 165 is a great size. Being left handed, I can’t speak about many of the knives, but I’d love to have had a Tojiro available for my first knife. It will sharpen well since it’s white 2, but if you keep using it a lot, you will want a better handle
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

stevem627 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:47 pm For the size fish you want, a 165 is a great size. Being left handed, I can’t speak about many of the knives, but I’d love to have had a Tojiro available for my first knife. It will sharpen well since it’s white 2, but if you keep using it a lot, you will want a better handle
Thanks, stevem627. Any idea as to how difficult it would be to find a decent replacement handle in case I ended up needing one?
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

Hi yummycrackers;

There is a knife and handle makers sub forum under the main board index:

viewforum.php?f=10
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:09 am Hi yummycrackers;

There is a knife and handle makers sub forum under the main board index:

viewforum.php?f=10
Thanks, yes, that's what I was thinking. Or even a DIY project, given that it's not a particularly expensive blade.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

I'm afraid I am of no help there....I still use Nerf tools ;)
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I see several somewhat inexpensive WA handles available on ETSY, but there are plenty of options here that will yield better quality handles I’d imagine.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

For the inexpensive debas, sometimes they can be a bit wonky in terms of the blade roads not being perfect (has highs and lows), but to dip your feet in the water, an inexpensive one is fine. I picked up an inexpensive 210mm Mioroshi Deba a while back and it worked fine.
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

taz575 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:43 am For the inexpensive debas, sometimes they can be a bit wonky in terms of the blade roads not being perfect (has highs and lows), but to dip your feet in the water, an inexpensive one is fine. I picked up an inexpensive 210mm Mioroshi Deba a while back and it worked fine.
That's the main thing I was concerned about, though I guess as you suggest it might not matter all that much for a deba (or at least less so than for a yanagiba). I guess the issues might arise when sharpening, if I'm not mistaken?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, mostly sharpening issues. For a trial knife, they work fine. You can practice refining the bevels and stuff on them too, so if you want to get a nice one later on, you have a cheaper one to practice on.
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

taz575 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:07 am Yeah, mostly sharpening issues. For a trial knife, they work fine. You can practice refining the bevels and stuff on them too, so if you want to get a nice one later on, you have a cheaper one to practice on.
It'll be my first single bevel (and hence my first time sharpening one), so that may very well be a good idea.