Heirloom quality?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
FeelTheBurr

Heirloom quality?

Post by FeelTheBurr »

I have a question to ponder. I'm curious which knives sijihiki's or others, which least expensive knives that you would conscider heirloom quality? Now this is completely subjective, but I would like to see what others have to say. Conscidering many here use them professionally.
taz575

Re: Heirloom quality?

Post by taz575 »

Most of them would last long enough to be heirloom quality. The handles on most are rather pedestrian, so I would get a sujihiki you like and then get a custom/upgraded handle for it so it's more personal when it is passed down.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Taz575 is right on point. Go through the site and you'll see the same knife at 2 very different prices and the difference is only the handle, which could cost you an additional $100. or more. Here is an example. I bought this:https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miskbu16cu.html. With a plain white ho handle it cost me $75. I sent it back for this one:https://www.chefknivestogo.com/misuzu3.html.I got it for $159.95. Now if you look in general discussions under show me your new knife and show me your new handle you will find the creme de la creme of both.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

For me, it is not the knife quality or type of knife that makes it heirloom quality, it is how/who uses it and the story behind it. I have my grandfather's Forgecraft chef knife that is not worth more than 50 bucks, made of very basic carbon steel and had at one time a simple hickory handle. I still consider it heirloom quality.

If you are strictly looking at which ones are going to increase in value in 20 years, who knows....
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 am For me, it is not the knife quality or type of knife that makes it heirloom quality, it is how/who uses it and the story behind it. I have my grandfather's Forgecraft chef knife that is not worth more than 50 bucks, made of very basic carbon steel and had at one time a simple hickory handle. I still consider it heirloom quality.

If you are strictly looking at which ones are going to increase in value in 20 years, who knows....
Very well said, M. Kalaeb. An heirloom is something valued, that is passed on to someone, who also values it. Either because of its association with the previous owner, or for the same reason that owner valued it.

Maybe the OP is asking which knives are considered under priced for their fit&finish, and preformance by the most people here. Of course, that is still subjective.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.