Suggestions request.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
FeelTheBurr

Suggestions request.

Post by FeelTheBurr »

Hello everyone, I have a few questions on a new gyuto and I would appreciate some input.

First the data.

I'm looking currently for a 210 mm gyuto, but eventually will also purchase a 240 gyuto for the home.

My budget is below 200 dollars but flexible.

Stainless for a gyuto is probably best but I will consider reactive steels as well.

I only have experience with western handles, but would like to try a Japanese version. It isn't too important to me at this time.

Knife skills are so so.

I generally push, pull, and chop more than rock cut.

I have sharpened my own knives for years.

Currently I have a 7.25 in. Kumidori. Guuto/slicer, and it has served me well for years. I also have some Wüstoff, and Henkels which perform as they should.

I have been looking at the Takamura 210, and was comparing it to a Makoto Sakura SG2 210 gyuto, and Makoto white #2.

Those are along the lines of a laser. I have long been looking at the Anryu blue 2, or AS series.  I also like the masakage yuki, and shimo series. These a bit more pricey though.

If anyone here have thoughts or suggestions, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks much, Rob
XexoX

Re: Suggestions request.

Post by XexoX »

Well, you have looked at the Takamura Chromax Gyuto 210mm, which I was going to recommend.

For a 240, the Kohetsu Blue #2 Tall Gyuto 240mm is $170, but will go to $200 real soon now. It is a taller knife. Read about it here. it is a carbon cald with SS.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Two knives that used to be "regulars" in the recommendation page were:
- Anryu B#2 - as you have already mentioned. You may want to check out the "Anryu Updates" page under General discussions to get a hint of when they will next stock.
- Kanahide PS60 - available in both western and Japanese handles. Good grinds, and all-around profile.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapskn.html

The Takamura R2 will be a tad more laserish (i.e., it'll ghost foods so much that you might forget you're actually cutting something), but might feel gentle at the edge, whereas the Kanahide PS60 should feel a bit more confident.

Makoto Sakura may have improved since it was first launched, but back at the time many of us found it to be a stickler, err, I mean a stickage machine... or in other words, it wasn't high on food-release ;)

The Kurosaki Shimo is fully reactive, and may not be what you're looking for at this point.

Hope this helps
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent performance at its's price point and a great bang for the buck. Very good carbon steel core with stainless cladding for easier care. Not a knife that you will just out grow and want something else in a year or two.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas21gy.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I own both the Masakage Shimo and Yuki gyutos, both in 240 mm length. They are very nice knives.

The Yuki is a bit less laserish, but still decently thin, and it has the advantage of only having reactive core steel; the cladding is stainless. A very attractive, comfortable knife (even with the oval handle, of which I'm usually not a fan.)

The Shimo is reactive steel throughout, although once a patina forms, is is not nearly as fussy as I expected. It was my first carbon steel knife, so I was prepared for all manner of calamity, but I have been pleasantly surprised that it's not hard to care for. (I forced a patina with mustard and have not had any problems with rust; I am pretty good about wiping the knife after use, though.) The Shimo is pretty thin and light, and it is the 240 I reach for the most (it is the 240 that resides on my magnetic knife strip for daily use).

Both blades have White#2 as core steel, so they can hold a wickedly sharp edge. Unfortunately, the Yuki is currently out of stock and the Shimo is available only in 240, but I really believe that it's a better knife than many others at that price point.
Miles

Post by Miles »

Plenty of great recs in this thread. Comments on stuff I’ve bought/used

Anryu b2 is a great mid weight (IMO over hyped but great). Thickish coming out of the handle w taper, thin behind the edge (not crazy thin), good weight, assertive cutter.

Yuki is also great- similar as the anryu b2 but in shiro2 and thinner behind the edge. It’s subjective but I like grind on the yuki and the looks of the Anryu hammered.

Kanehide PS60- these are thin lasers, low maintenance (stainless!) knives and not terrible to sharpen. They feel really nice in hand and do punch above their price point. Under appreciated but known by forum regulars. It’s kind of an all-business kind of knife.

I haven’t owned or experienced the Takamura chromax but I’ve wanted one for a while. A great value laser with an awesome semi stainless steel. I believe CKTG has them for the best price.
FeelTheBurr

Post by FeelTheBurr »

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for the info. There are really good suggestions here. A couple more questions. What do you think of a Shiro Kamo White #2 Gyuto 240mm, or Tsunehisa AS Sakura Gyuto 240mm?

Also I am not familiar with vg7 steel. It is supposed to be similar to b2 steel. What do people here think about it? This is why for my question: Makoto VG7 Ryusei Gyuto 240mm. He replaced AS steel with vg7 steel in this line.

This looks like a beautiful knife but it's out of my price range. Shiro Kamo SG2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm. I have nothing against Damascus Steel I just don't usually gravitate towards it. I find that one really interesting. I like the masakage shimo as well.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions for a 240 I should consider?

Thanks for your help.