Food release, grind vs. cladding

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ValeryD

Re: Food release, grind vs. cladding

Post by ValeryD »

d_rap wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:46 am
ValeryD wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:05 am At least at the back (left) side of a blade for righthanded users.
You sound like you're referring to the slight concave (hollow) left (ura) side of a right-handed single bevel knife.

I think it's fair to say most of the enthusiasts here use double bevel Japanese knives most, and some of those still have some concave or hollow geometry that aids in food release. That can be slight, subtle like on many of the Echizen knives. Takeda gyutos, famously, have quite a pronounced, frequently somewhat uneven hollow that transitions into a good size convex at the edge, thus the "S grind."

Interesting Nakiri in the video. It has very high concave grind on both sides (like cheeks) that clearly makes it quite good at food release. All that removed material is going to diminish a certain kind of power and I mean there are pros and cons to everything but that knife works well. Nice video.
Yes, I have referred to single bevel knives in Japan. However that Nakiri (I accidentally saw on Youtube) really impress me and I take a closer look to this video and it looks like this knife has double bevel and both sides are equal in geometry. May be this Nakiri is not very tough like a chef, but IMO useable for most veges. I then researched some another videos from the author of this knife and found two more very interesting knifes which incoporates a similar princip, but much less pronounced. They look impressive too. All these knives are not really available. Rare bespoke works.

I believe Takeda uses principially the same approach but with another, more flat, shape instead of a spherical convex shape in this Nakiri. FYI, Moritaka does the same as Takeda, just less pronounced and their Nakiri 180mm looks very similar to Takeda in blade shape and has excellent food release.

Valery
billk1002

Re: Food release, grind vs. cladding

Post by billk1002 »

ValeryD wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:05 am Hi all,

In this video you can see what is a knife geometry which works best for a food release. Professional japanese knives I saw so far have about the same style of a blade geometry. At least at the back (left) side of a blade for righthanded users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PVhhxcsgI

Valery
Cool video, thank you, I would like to have that handle.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill