House warming gift

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
braindoc

House warming gift

Post by braindoc »

Hi everyone.

Friends of ours recently designed and built a new, very elegant home. They’ve admired our Japanese knives (my list is below). We’d like to get them one. I cannot complete the questionnaire because we do not know enough about their cutting styles, etc. They are both very stylish so whatever we get has to look nice. Definitely stainless. Probably a gyuto but I’ll consider others. Has to be a 50-50 grind because one is a lefty. Our budget is about $200, but I guess we could go a little higher.

Our collection: Shiro Kamo SG2 Kasumi Santoku 150mm, Yoshikane Nashiji SKD Nakiri 165mm, Akifusa PM Gyuto 210mm, Kohetsu Blue #2 Nashiji Honesuki 150mm, Masakage Kiri VG-10 Ko Bunka, 135mm, Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Gyuto 210mm, Kanehide PS60 Bunka 185mmm, Tojiro bread knife, 270mm sujihiki
JASinIL2006

Re: House warming gift

Post by JASinIL2006 »

This is a bit over your budget (well, more than a bit actually…), but it’s a gorgeous blade:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kurosaki4.html

This is also a nice knife, less dramatic than the Kurosaki, but still attractive:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tsunehisa7.html

This one is western handled, but has a dramatic look and is a very good value:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze2.html

Just a few ideas...
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

If you want a good looking, great valued, WA (Japanese) handle look at this.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/oevggy21.html
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

Masutani VG10 Damascus Santoku 165mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavgdasa16.html
The pictures don't really do justice for how good this looks in person.

Misuzu AUS10 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miaugy21.html
jknife

Post by jknife »

Stylish can mean many things to many people. It can be flashy, clean, classic etc. For something with a more clean aesthetic maybe try this.
BTW an awesome cutter too.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

One of the top bang for the buck knives on the site made from probably the toughest of stainless steels on the market. Outstanding performance with above average edge holding, just hard to go wrong or do better for the money. A better knife than others costing two to three times it's cost.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hag3gy21.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:32 am One of the top bang for the buck knives on the site made from probably the toughest of stainless steels on the market. Outstanding performance with above average edge holding, just hard to go wrong or do better for the money. A better knife than others costing two to three times it's cost.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hag3gy21.html
Totally agree. I have the 240 and it is a surprisingly good knife. Easy to sharpen, cuts really well and with the hammered & Nashiji finish plus hand engraved kanji, what's not to like.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
gladius

Post by gladius »

I like the Takamura Migaki SG2 Santoku 170mm <<. The smaller knives appeal more to the women. The Migaki line is good looking, good performing and easy care.
braindoc

Post by braindoc »

Thanks everyone. After intense discussion we decided to exceed our budget and go with a Yu Kurosaki 210mm Fujin gyuto with a beautiful custom handle. I’d post a photo but cannot seem to cut and paste one into this reply.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Good choice! Good looking knife with a custom handle. The "bling" of a gift is often as or more important than the performance.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Very nice choice, great looking and excellent performance, it's the total package!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Somehow I think you went over your 200 budget.

Can I be your friend? 😆
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

braindoc wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:42 pm Thanks everyone. After intense discussion we decided to exceed our budget and go with a Yu Kurosaki 210mm Fujin gyuto with a beautiful custom handle. I’d post a photo but cannot seem to cut and paste one into this reply.
Great choice (even though it was over your initial budget)! This is what we bought as a housewarming gift for some friends a couple of weeks back and they've been thrilled with it so far.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

braindoc wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:42 pm Thanks everyone. After intense discussion we decided to exceed our budget and go with a Yu Kurosaki 210mm Fujin gyuto with a beautiful custom handle. I’d post a photo but cannot seem to cut and paste one into this reply.
You have some fortunate friends! What a lovely gift. A great knife and quite beautiful.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm
Great choice (even though it was over your initial budget)! This is what we bought as a housewarming gift for some friends a couple of weeks back and they've been thrilled with it so far.
Where were you guys when I bought my house! :)
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Maybe hard to find in many places, but every store in N Ca has lots, and many even have marinated versions for sale. It goes from 6-10$ a lb. I never had or heard of it til I moved to Ca though.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:21 am Maybe hard to find in many places, but every store in N Ca has lots, and many even have marinated versions for sale. It goes from 6-10$ a lb. I never had or heard of it til I moved to Ca though.
You completely lost me with this post. Japanese knives sold by the pound? Pre-marinated? :?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Sounds like a piece of the tri-tip discussion.
David
braindoc

Post by braindoc »

Sorry for disappearing. Quick update: they loved the knife.
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

anything konosuke tbh. HD for sure