240 wa gyuto recos please

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Rororomain

240 wa gyuto recos please

Post by Rororomain »

Hi chefs. Just joined after lurking around all these recos and deciding to get a new knife.
For some context: I am a passionate cook rencently turned pro (8 months ago). My current knives set will probably sound very weak compared to what most of you got, but it was good enough to carry my passion through very enjoyed diners and to bringing me in a professional kitchen. But I am now seing the limits of these cute popular home cook knives.
I'm mostly focusing on a great blade. I've never had to think too much about handles. Maybe because I have relatively big hands or enough strength to not have problems with the knives i've encountered in the past few years (and i used some terrible designed ones).
I mostly cut veggies and such as i work at vegetarian restaurant.
So here we are:

1)Pro or home cook?
Hme rencently turned pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want? 240

4)How much do you want to spend?
<250€ so <270$ i guess. Around 200-230$ would be ideal

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
I have honestly no idea but i'm willing to learn.
I mostly think about whatever helps me getting things down the best when it comes to tools in general. I am looking for banging sharpness & sustainability though.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Global g1 and some shun pro santoku (lol)

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
I'd say good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Push / Pull mainly, rocker for needed tasks

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
I'd say yes. Got a stone and have access to profesionnal sharpener if needed

I hope this is enough infos, of course can provide more if needed.
Thanks!
jknife

Re: 240 wa gyuto recos please

Post by jknife »

I'm assuming a 240? Are you in a hurry or would you be willing to wait for something to come back in stock?
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

I think this knife fits you bill. I really like everything Harakaze makes. It’s a great bang for your buck. It’s stainless clad over Blue Super carbon steel. It will get very sharp and stay very sharp.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hamoasgy24.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Two thoughts. First, in case you don't know, a non-stainless steel knife requires a bit more care to prevent rust. Second, again, I'm sure you know this better than I do, but based on your price range being in Euros, VAT, shipping, etc. will up the price. You may want to find a vendor in Europe. I have no clue how any of that impacts your buying decisions. I just know it is a PITA to buy seeds or plants from Europe.

Best of luck.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Rororomain

Post by Rororomain »

jknife wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:25 am I'm assuming a 240? Are you in a hurry or would you be willing to wait for something to come back in stock?
Kinda decided i wanted it soon so I'd like to get it as soon as I can ahah.
But of course I can wait if you have an Idea of something that is a no match :)
Santas_101 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am I think this knife fits you bill. I really like everything Harakaze makes. It’s a great bang for your buck. It’s stainless clad over Blue Super carbon steel. It will get very sharp and stay very sharp.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hamoasgy24.html
Thank you v much! I'm bookmarking it. I'd like to compare a few before acting on which one to buy.
XexoX wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 am Two thoughts. First, in case you don't know, a non-stainless steel knife requires a bit more care to prevent rust. Second, again, I'm sure you know this better than I do, but based on your price range being in Euros, VAT, shipping, etc. will up the price. You may want to find a vendor in Europe. I have no clue how any of that impacts your buying decisions. I just know it is a PITA to buy seeds or plants from Europe.

Best of luck.
You're right! I thought about it. In the end i'm still looking for recommandations as they'll be useful to chose even if I buy something from a Europe vendor I guess
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

This is in stock and would be a good knife for all around daily use.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kuasku24gy.html
Rororomain

Post by Rororomain »

Thank you Steve, this looks awesome.
I'm slowly bookmarking some knives and most of those that seem interesting are either AS / blue or VG10. I understand some nuances but can't really figure out what are the big differences between the 2 from a usability pov.
Would appreciate any guiding answer
Cheers
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

Aogami super is a carbon steel while VG-10 is a stainless steel. The main differences between the two is stainless is easier maintenance (carbon can rust if left wet/unclean), while carbon is easier to sharpen.

Most would suggest stainless in a professional environment. If you just want something that stays sharp as long as possible, check out HAP40 steel.

Kohetsu HAP40 Western Gyuto 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohagy24.html
Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy24.html

If you're willing to go down to 210mm, check out the Takamura. It's one of the best performing knives you can find at any price point.

Takamura Migaki SG2 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html
jknife

Post by jknife »

If you haven't purchased a gyuto yet there is an Anru 240 in the classifieds. Very nice knife.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest a blade made of PM steel such as R2/SG2, HAP40, SLD, etc.: hard, tough and strong against wearing.
Of those in-stock, the Kohetsu HAP40 << would be my pick.

If you favor a western handle (low key, won't draw attention), the Tsunehisa SRS << is a great option.

Another would be the Kaeru Kasumi Stainless << from an EU source which may save you some money.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I’ll second the top two picks of Gladius. Hard to beat.

I’m a big fan of the Kamo R2, but it’s a lot pricier and will draw some, ahem, attention.
Jeffry B
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

The Shiro Kamo has been reviewed here <viewtopic.php?f=13&p=123317#p123317>
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

go for a konosuke HD if you can find one.