Looking for 1st Nakiri

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
rickadkins

Looking for 1st Nakiri

Post by rickadkins »

My first post, and I have to say the forum is great. I love how helpful everyone is.

I'm looking for a very nice wa handled nakiri. I would like to stay under $200.00. I'm a home cook, a vegetarian, and my knife skills are average.

I'm more of a chopper as far as my cutting style, and I really like the all reactive carbon knives I've looked at on the website. It's just me at home, so maintenance on the knife won't be an issue. However, if someone recommends stainless over reactive I would certainly consider that.

I really want a well made, traditional Japanese nakiri, probably the 165mm version, although I saw a couple 150mm knives that were interesting.

Any advice you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
Infrared

Re: Looking for 1st Nakiri

Post by Infrared »

Japanese stainless is very high quality, so it will perform as good, if not better than carbon. The main difference is that carbon is easier to sharpen while stainless is easier maintenance.

Gihei Blue #2 Nakiri 165mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gibl2na16.html
Stainless clad with a carbon core (cutting edge) so you get the best of both worlds.

The Gihei is a bit shorter than your average nakiri. If you want something more "average" in height, check this out.

Yahiko Sanjo White #2 Nashiji Nakiri 165mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yasaw2na16.html

Both are very well made and excel in performance, so you can't go wrong with either.
rickadkins

Post by rickadkins »

Thanks so much. I’ll take a look.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

For my first nakiri, my sister bought this for me (from CKTG, of course): https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hag3na16.html

It's got a nice edge on it, it's stainless, and it's very fun to use on veggies. I think my next nakiri might be something a bit thinner, but this is a great entry nakiri to see if you like using this style of knife. Price is right, too....
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

The Harukaze above is a great choice for a thinner laser, and it would probably be my choice for you.

This is another choice if you want a more workhorse style nakiri. It's not hardly reactive, has a nice handle, and sharpens easily. I have the 130mm petty and its very nice but not at all laser like either.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kosldna16.html

In the end, pick something you look at and enjoy because it always seems to inspire using your knives.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

stevem627 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:39 am The Harukaze above is a great choice for a thinner laser, and it would probably be my choice for you.

This is another choice if you want a more workhorse style nakiri. It's not hardly reactive, has a nice handle, and sharpens easily. I have the 130mm petty and its very nice but not at all laser like either.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kosldna16.html

In the end, pick something you look at and enjoy because it always seems to inspire using your knives.
I'm far from a nakiri expert, but I've never considered my Harukaze a laser... it feels pretty substantial to me. It doesn't wedge carrots or potatoes, but it's not a super thin blade, either.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

The Tsunehisa G3 nakiri as an excellent knife!

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tsunehisa4.html

Steel is wonderful, knife is well made with a really nice grind.
rickadkins

Post by rickadkins »

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I’ll take a look at all of them. I really appreciate your advice.

Rick
gladius

Post by gladius »

Welcome to the forum!

Of those Nakiris in stock, I'd pick the Yahiko Sanjo White #2 Nashiji Nakiri 165mm - this is a fully carbon blade.

If easy care is preferred, the Kanehiro Ginsan Nakiri 165mm is an excellent pick in all stainless: $9 bucks over budget....but worth the nine.
rickadkins

Post by rickadkins »

What would you recommend in something that isn’t in stock right now? I’m willing to wait if need be.
gladius

Post by gladius »

rickadkins wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 am What would you recommend in something that isn’t in stock right now? I’m willing to wait if need be.
---
The Masakage Yuki Nakiri 165mm (same blacksmith as the Kanehiro) and the Moritaka AS Tall Nakiri are two of my favorites. Read the comments and you'll see also for many enthusiasts here.
rickadkins

Post by rickadkins »

Thanks! The Moritaka knives are some I had looked at and liked. Appreciate your help.

Just ordered the Moritaka AS Nakiri 165mm. I got an email that it was back in stock, so I jumped on it. That's the one I had looked at initially.
Last edited by rickadkins on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

My Morita 165mm gets regular use and has been a great knife. The Moritaka line gets restocked regularly at CKTG. I'll be adding the Moritaka tall Nakiri when it's available again.
Ricardo
rickadkins

Post by rickadkins »

Just ordered the Moritaka AS Nakiri 165mm. Popped up in my email, so I jumped on it!
gladius

Post by gladius »

rickadkins wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:52 pm Just ordered the Moritaka AS Nakiri 165mm. Popped up in my email, so I jumped on it!
—-
Good choice, come back and let us know how you like it.
rickadkins

Post by rickadkins »

I will do that! Thanks again for your advice.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

rickadkins wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:52 pm Just ordered the Moritaka AS Nakiri 165mm. Popped up in my email, so I jumped on it!
Congratulations on an excellent choice, and enjoy your new knife.
Ricardo
Thallman

Post by Thallman »

Following... I was just about to ask the same question, i.e. looking to buy my first Japanese knife and a Nakiri will be it.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Lots of nakiri threads on this forum, look thru them Im sure several will give you some targets to investigate. Moritaka? well its a real flat blade but its also non stainless clad,so you are going to be dealing with patina issues etc. For some like me with real hard water its a pita. Fill out the questionnaire if you want to get more specific. Welcome aboard. A nakiri was the first knife I bought here too.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

That is a really nice looking knife, congrats!
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill