Classified Updated Rules.

This is a free service where you can buy and sell knives and sharpening equipment and kitchen tools. There is no fee for posting items but we require that you've made at least 30 posts on our forum before you post something for sale.
Forum rules
As stated in the description, we want to get to know you better before allowing new forum members to post items for sale. You will not be able to create topics until you reach a 30 post minimum. Please take your time and contribute to the forum discussions in a substantive way. SPAM posting to reach 30 posts is considered very bad form and could get you booted off these forums.

NOTE: If you have an item for sale and you are located outside the Continental U.S. please state your location so the buyer knows what to expect in a purchase transaction.
mauichef

Re: Classified Updated Rules.

Post by mauichef »

Dawgfish wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:55 pm I have just sold my first knife and am struggling to find out how to change the title to include sold, or otherwise let the mods know. I posted that it sold but want to make sure I have it right. Thanks!
Just make a post that says its sold. The mods will close it out.
Dawgfish

Post by Dawgfish »

Great, thanks! Looks like it is taken care of.
ddddodc

Post by ddddodc »

Read the whole rules , help a lot to understand the forum , will follow the rules as always . Thanks
Emalsky

Post by Emalsky »

I was an active member on here 3-4 years ago,
Took a hiatus but it seems like my member status has gone away. Can any moderators give insight on how to get that back?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have someone wanting to buy a knife i pictured in a cooking post, advised them to create a want to buy in forum but they need to have 30 posts? While this sounds good for selling stuff to protect us, for those wanting to buy seems excessive as there is doesn't appear to be as much risk as an unknown seller.
I believe this should be changed.
bob z
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:39 pm I have someone wanting to buy a knife i pictured in a cooking post, advised them to create a want to buy in forum but they need to have 30 posts? While this sounds good for selling stuff to protect us, for those wanting to buy seems excessive as there is doesn't appear to be as much risk as an unknown seller.
I believe this should be changed.
bob z
Mark's rule says 30 posts needed to "create a topic" which is pretty specific. I will address the idea of waving it for WTB topics since we do let people without 30 posts express interest to buy in other threads. In the end the decision will be Mark's.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I understand the desire for WTB having less than 30 posts, but I can imagine people will take advantage of it and try to sell using it. There are always people willing to take advantage of any loophole they find.

Like Sir Jeff said, up to Mark.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Well said Mr XexoX.
It protects everyone from flippers and others who have tried to sell stuff here that is of dubious origin.
I see no reason to change it.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Can someone please explain how the Paypal part of this works? Can I just use Zelle or have someone buy me gift cards to CKTG? I have about 5 stones to sell but want to make sure I get everything right. Thanks!
Sam
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ex1580 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:01 pm Can someone please explain how the Paypal part of this works? Can I just use Zelle or have someone buy me gift cards to CKTG? I have about 5 stones to sell but want to make sure I get everything right. Thanks!
As far as I know, it is up to you and the buyer to arrange payment. I don't do PayPal, but two sellers have let me send them the payment. Cash for one, a check for the other. Just don't send the stone till you know the payment has cleared.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Lots of potential for scams, regardless of what you use. PayPal is likely the best protected, but certainly between the buyer and seller. I don't use anything but PayPal for those on the forum who I don't know.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:22 pm Lots of potential for scams, regardless of what you use. PayPal is likely the best protected, but certainly between the buyer and seller. I don't use anything but PayPal for those on the forum who I don't know.
Well said. Venmo (a subsidiary of PayPal) now offers “purchase protection “. For what it’s worth. As a Venmo business account owner, purchase protection is turned on by default.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

When it comes to your listing the only rule you have to abide by is not asking the buyer to pay any PayPal fees or to cover fees for other payment services. This is generally against their terms of service so not allowed. You can use any payment option/service you like but the asking price has to include any fees. Shipping can be included or not and you should specify this to avoid any confusion.
Any arrangements made behind the scenes are not our concern or responsibility.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:31 pm When it comes to your listing the only rule you have to abide by is not asking the buyer to pay any PayPal fees or to cover fees for other payment services. This is generally against their terms of service so not allowed. You can use any payment option/service you like but the asking price has to include any fees. Shipping can be included or not and you should specify this to avoid any confusion.
Any arrangements made behind the scenes are not our concern or responsibility.
Well said Sir Jeff! A seller should also mention what country they are in and if the offer extends to shipping to a different country.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Just remember than anytime someone gets money via goods and services via PayPal (possibly what venmo is doing now too) and the annual total amount is over $600, they will receive a 1099 form to declare that money as income for taxes. I don't know how to fight it or prove it isn't income as profit for those who aren't businesses? So there are now the fee costs as well as extra taxes on items you sell. People selling a few used knives or stones will quickly hit the $600 mark?
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

taz575 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:29 am Just remember than anytime someone gets money via goods and services via PayPal (possibly what venmo is doing now too) and the annual total amount is over $600, they will receive a 1099 form to declare that money as income for taxes. I don't know how to fight it or prove it isn't income as profit for those who aren't businesses? So there are now the fee costs as well as extra taxes on items you sell. People selling a few used knives or stones will quickly hit the $600 mark?
Tax would only be due on the gain, if there is one. The 1099 in and of itself isn't the whole story. It only indicates the amount paid to you by an entity during a calendar year. Whether that money is taxable (entirely or partially) is another matter. I'm not a tax professional but I'd say that anyone selling on anything (online) would be well served to save their receipts, document their time, etc., so they could accurately document how much of the "income" was offset by expenses. No doubt, it complicates things but a 1099 does not necessarily or automatically trigger a tax due. It does however, probably trigger the need for the additional expense of an accountant.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, I sold firearms I had bought privately a few years ago, so there was no receipt, just transfer authorization paperwork. It's hard to tell how much taxes would be levied to take that into account for selling items to pay the tax since it is income, not sales tax!
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:22 pm Lots of potential for scams, regardless of what you use. PayPal is likely the best protected, but certainly between the buyer and seller. I don't use anything but PayPal for those on the forum who I don't know.
I looked into this payment protection and doesn't look too bad. A couple of decades ago, back when Paypal first integrated with eBay, there was some sort of insurance you could buy for transactions and basically whoever didn't have the insurance got screwed by default. Hopefully things have improved since then. As a seller I do have Square and could always use that to send an invoice. As the buyer, if you pay by credit card you get the protections afforded by your credit card company. For people I know I use Zelle and it works very well and just like handing them cash, but without the cash or any account numbers (you can choose to have people find you by phone number or email address).

I think Mark needs to setup a used marketplace on CKTG, haha.
Sam
Tran123abc

Post by Tran123abc »

This what exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for creating this feature.
Tran123abc

Post by Tran123abc »

datster wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 am The classifieds are great! They help me decide where the little bit of money I didn't spend at CKTG can go to! LOL!
:D :lol:
haha this is so true