Konosuke Fujiyama b2 240 Newtype

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
appleton

Konosuke Fujiyama b2 240 Newtype

Post by appleton »

This is my first time doing a pass around, but I figured that I'd have a go. After consulting with Mark, I am offering my 240 B2 Fujiyama in a pass around, in an effort to have people try-before-they-buy (or try to buy).

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofubl2gy24.html

Rules:
The pass around will begin at the end of next week (or after, if that's when we get the people).
My first time, so it will be 6-10 people.
Ask me before sharpening, stropping is OK.
Must be CONUS.
Ship, insured for 450 USD and tracking number must be provided.
100 post count minimum.
I don't know many forums members, so if that's you, I'll ask around about you.
I am not paying for shipping expenses, so the first guy will pay for my shipping expenses.

Also, I'll need to decide on how long each member will keep it, I'm open to suggestions.

Lastly, I am toying with the idea of a paypal chain (ie: first guy pays me X, second guy pays the first guy X,..., I pay the last guy X) but do not know if it runs counter to the etiquette of the forums. I'll probably abandon that idea, but I'm open to opinions/suggestions.

If I am missing any useful terms, please let me know.
CacahuateSommelier

Re: Konosuke Fujiyama b2 240 Newtype

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Im in... if you need help covering shipping or cost I think everyone contributing a $ amount is fair...just let me know how much $, I’m happy putting in whatever... I have yet to try a Konosuke Fuji and would love to be in on it

FYI.... I find it easiest for each person to pay their own shipping as they go
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Nice! Between this and the other MM one, there are some good passarounds going on now. Nice of you to do this
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Appleton is a solid guy, I wouldn’t hesitate to participate if your curious about the new Fugiyamas.

Count me in too please.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm hosting the MM but would love to try the Fuji too for comparison reasons. Might just buy the MM and forget about the Fuji for now.
Things were delayed and I won't receive the MM until Tuesday.

Keeping the knife for one week and members paying their own shipping cost when finished with their
week is pretty much the norm, but nothing wrong with changing things up as you see fit.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Dan_Crubenew

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

Hi there,

May I please join in your pass around? I haven't been the most active forum member lately, so if you would like me to sit out, it is no problem for me to withdraw.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:47 am I'm hosting the MM but would love to try the Fuji too for comparison reasons. Might just buy the MM and forget about the Fuji for now.
Things were delayed and I won't receive the MM until Tuesday.

Keeping the knife for one week and members paying their own shipping cost when finished with their
week is pretty much the norm, but nothing wrong with changing things up as you see fit.
I have reconsidered. I have had my share of opportunities to own and use many sought after knives. I would like some of the newer blood to have a shot at trying this one so I'm backing away.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Is there still room?
I'm signed up for the Kono MM passaround, but this is the first (perhaps only chance) I'll get at handling the Kono Fuji people keep going on about.
Please sign me up :)
Dan
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
appleton

Post by appleton »

So, I'm going to do 5 days per person. That should allow for 7-8 days per person, including shipping. The current guy pays for shipping (insured 450 USD) to the next guy.

Also, a new rule. Please PM/email the next guy in the chain, a DAY before you send the knife onward.

We will do 6 people this time. If it goes well, I'll do a second go-around.

2 members have been vetted, with a possible third.

I am uncertain about the below term. If you have an opinion/suggestion about it, please post or send a PM regarding it. I will make a decision on it tomorrow night.
appleton wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm Lastly, I am toying with the idea of a paypal chain (ie: first guy pays me X, second guy pays the first guy X,..., I pay the last guy X) but do not know if it runs counter to the etiquette of the forums. I'll probably abandon that idea, but I'm open to opinions/suggestions.

If I am missing any useful terms, please let me know.
I'll drop in late tomorrow night, to finalize the rules, and give an update on the list.
J david

Post by J david »

I've not been keeping up with the changes in the fuji line. How is this one different? Is it different enough to try it if I didn't care for the previous version?
datster

Post by datster »

If you still have a spot I would like to join in, questions about me, you can ask Mark and Sue, I'm about 90 minutes from them.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

J david wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:13 pm I've not been keeping up with the changes in the fuji line. How is this one different? Is it different enough to try it if I didn't care for the previous version?
It should be different enough jdavid imo.
J david

Post by J david »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 pm
J david wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:13 pm I've not been keeping up with the changes in the fuji line. How is this one different? Is it different enough to try it if I didn't care for the previous version?
It should be different enough jdavid imo.
O.k. then. I'll join if there is room and you'll have me.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

I just wanted to drop by and say it’s really cool what you’re doing , Appleton!

To answer questions about “is it different”, yes it is much different, and yet performance wise , only slightly . While the grind still starts pretty high , is say the FM are a tad thicker on the spine , and generally Not quite as thin behind the edge . Not by much though ! They feel a little less... fragile than some of the Fujiyama of old could feel. Very confident in hand .

The legendary fit and finish of the series remains . Spine chamfering, the choil , the finish , the grind , and the profile are top notch .

Try to keep the out of the box edge going on strops. It’s phenomenal. Prob 9/10 on Steve scale .
appleton

Post by appleton »

The FM's are less reactive as well. I've found that the cutting power is about the same, with the trade off being: (old Fuji) better food release, (Fuji FM) less reactive and a bit tougher. I like the profile of the FM's more as well, but that's down to preference.
appleton

Post by appleton »

Right, so three people are in, and all others are being vetted. I'll update on Wednesday with a final list of participants, where upon we will do the contact and mailing info swaps.
appleton

Post by appleton »

Rules:
The pass around will begin at the end of next week
It will be 6-8 people.
Ask me before sharpening, stropping is OK.
Must be CONUS.
100 post count minimum.
If I don't know you, I'll vet you.
I will also need contact info for those who are in.

I am not paying for shipping expenses, so the first guy will pay for my shipping fees and his.
The Shipper will handle shipping fees, insured for 450 USD and tracking number must be provided, and PM/email the next guy a DAY before you send the knife.
Don't change out the provided Kono Box and pop the cork on when shipping.
Participants will keep it for 5 days

If this pass around goes well, I will probably send the knife for another round, to accommodate those not chosen.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’m excited, I’ve been wanting to try one and now I get to. Thanks again Appleton.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
appleton

Post by appleton »

So the first pass around participants have been chosen. For all those who did not get a PM from me, I will probably do another pass around of this knife, after the first one is over.

Thank you for your consideration, and all the best.