Carter Hopkins W2 Gyuto pass-around

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Ut_ron

Carter Hopkins W2 Gyuto pass-around

Post by Ut_ron »

First impressions wow a great looking knife. I have never used one of his knives before but based upon other comments I expected great fit and finished. Well it is all of that and more then I expected.

Home cook so didn’t really put this through a heavy work out. I did use it for several dinners and one for 16.

I found the profile to work very well for how I use a knife. Nice tip that was easy to do small cuts given its size.

Weight: 197g 6.9oz
Height: 45mm at the heel
Length 246mm, choil to tip
Length 410mm, total

Balance point is right at the neck. Makes the knife feel lighter than the actual weight. I was surprised when I put it on the scale.

Interesting patina getting started.

Hamon is nice but not very pronounced. For cosmetic reasons I would of liked it to show more.

Handle is gorgeous.

Choil shot

Carrots was a breeze. Did not have any large but don’t expect to have anything but smooth cuts on them.

Potatoes did ride up the blade but shook off easily.

I believe anybody would be happy with this knife.

Thanks Carter for the opportunity to play with one of your knives 👍👏.

Off to Jon in Cupertina in sunny California 😀.

And I am off to Sedona to celebrate our 50th wedding 💒.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Insnekamkze86

Re: Carter Hopkins W2 Gyuto pass-around

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

I've heard great things about Carter knives looks awesome to try. It sounds like you really enjoyed the knife