Kurosaki Fujin

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
Altadan

Re: Kurosaki Fujin

Post by Altadan »

Sounds pretty sweet to me ;)

Over these past couple months I've had the pleasure of an inordinate number of "loan" knives from some very generous forum members.
Among them were also a Tanaka 210 and 240 R2, as well as my own recently purchased Kono MM G3. Suffice it to say that my 2-year relationship with my own sekiso, and my enamor with carbon, patina, colors, and so forth, has now given more room for a "re-discovery" of the convenience of stainless :)
Still, when it comes to sharpening or (especially) touching up, carbon is just as smooth as can be.

I love having both a curvy Tanaka and a flattish MM. They complement (not compliment!) one another very well.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I kind of think of my stainless clad carbon knives as basically stainless, but yeah, sometimes I just dont want to fuss. Hence my love of ginsan.

That said, my Sekiso troubles me not. Rarely is its reactivity an issue. One thing I do is give a 1-second rinse at my prep sink 2 feet from my cutting board when I cut acidic ingredients. The quick rinse sort of resets the knife and I don't have to wipe.

Nice to have a golf cart full of knives, though. Flat ones, push cutters, ones with belly. Carbon, stainless, clad. Light, medium, heavy. Laser, convex. 210s, 240s, nakiris, santokus, bunkas.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

After using the Tanaka VG10 for a few weeks, I am even more impressed. It sharpens easily, holds a pretty good edge and the thin tip is terrific at detailed work.

It’s as sharp as any 240 gyuto I’ve used that was stainless. Only the Kamo R2 might, might have been a hair sharper.

For comparison’s sake, I sharpened my new Kurosaki Fujin 210 using the same stone sequence as the Tanaka.

The new edge on the Fujin was definitely sharper than the out-of-the-box edge. It seemed just as sharp as the Tanaka, too.

Yet I seemed to face a touch more resistance on a few ingredients, though it might have been the Fujin finish or the fact that it’s just a 210. In my experience the weight and length of 240s often seem to convey the impression that they cut sharper than a 210 even though it’s not actually the case.

The Damascus finish on the Tanaka, on the other hand, is causing less stickage than when it was brand new.

What don’t I like?

Well, the profile is rounded and has some back curve that can lead to accordion cuts when chopping on delicate ingredients such as scallions. The VG10 chops decently, but not quite as well as my Tanaka Sekiso or Tanaka Nashiji.

I’d give the Tanaka Nashiji the slightest of edges on peak sharpness relative to the VG10 and Sekiso, but that’s splitting hairs. On a 0-100 scale, I’d put the Nashiji at 96 and the other two at 94 or 95.

The tips on the Sekiso and VG10, on the other hand, might be a touch better. The Sekiso has the thickest tip of the three, but damn does it cut real fine. Just as well as the VG10 - the thinnest and most laser like of the trio.

Still trying to decide whether to keep the VG10 as my lone stainless 240 or stick with My Kanehiro ginsan. The VG10 is sharper, but I do like the overall profile of the Kanehiro somewhat better, not to mention the nicer handle.
Jeffry B
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

Finally scored this one in 240. Been hunting it for a while but it's always OOS. I'll prolly pick up the AS santoku when it comes back in stock.
Xuanfusion

Post by Xuanfusion »

Got a Fujin sujihiki , work very well !!
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

JustinP wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:22 pm I have the Fujin AS 150 petty. Super pretty knife.
is this sold on here or got it off another site?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We have them on order. It shouldn’t be too long.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:38 pm We have them on order. It shouldn’t be too long.
I hope you have some AS 210 gyutos coming too. I missed it the last couple times because of lack of funds but I've been a good boy and have been saving my pennies and want to finally grab one of these! :geek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Yeah I have a bunch on order with him.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Like that Gray/Black pakkawood handle on that VG10! https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kufuvggy24cu.html.

Really like the Fujins I bought, some real cutting machines and fun to use.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
turko

Post by turko »

How long is it usually between shipments?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

turko wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:28 am How long is it usually between shipments?
The times vary of course. Put your email in the notification box on the product page and you'll get email when they come back in stock. You probably won't have to wait more than couple weeks. Act fast when they come back though, the AS usually don't last long.
turko

Post by turko »

Thanks Jeff. That's exactly what I was looking for. Wasn't sure if the wait could be weeks or months.
CharlieHustle

Post by CharlieHustle »

Love my Kurosaki Fujin and would highly highly recommend.
Fedan

Post by Fedan »

Beautiful knife, hoping to get one soon
silylanjie

Post by silylanjie »

Finally scored a Fujin AS Gyuto 210mm today, I been waiting for this to come back instock for awhile.
Wilson - Just an retired sushi chef
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

silylanjie wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 pm Finally scored a Fujin AS Gyuto 210mm today, I been waiting for this to come back instock for awhile.
It's a great knife, I think you'll love it! :ugeek:
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

silylanjie wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:27 pm Finally scored a Fujin AS Gyuto 210mm today, I been waiting for this to come back instock for awhile.
So it was you that got it. Post a picture and let us know how you like it. I was on the e-mail notification list for a long time and eventually found a Raijin and bought that instead.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
silylanjie

Post by silylanjie »

playingfetch wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:50 am
So it was you that got it. Post a picture and let us know how you like it. I was on the e-mail notification list for a long time and eventually found a Raijin and bought that instead.
Yea, I was waiting for Fujin AS for a long time and happy that it finally came back in stock. There were 4 in stock last week and I think Mark will be getting 6 more Gyuto 210mm in about a week.

I haven't use the knife yet but it's very well made. The F&F is very nice with the spine & choil rounded and polished. Here are some quick pic out of the box.
IMG_20210812_131509.jpg
IMG_20210812_131621.jpg
IMG_20210812_131621.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
Wilson - Just an retired sushi chef