Kitayama 8000

lsboogy

Re: Kitayama 8000

Post by lsboogy »

I learned a very similar technique years ago in Japan. Korin was my favorite until I ran into this place, and they are the New York spot for knives and sharpening. Never pooh pooh them, longest history in the business for Japanese chef knives in this country and have a customer base longer than any other knife shop for a reason. The method works, and works well
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

And that's fine for who it works for, just not me. :) (This week...who knows what will change with the wind.)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:04 pm
nakneker wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 am Anytime I see one of your Stone reviews I perk up, you do a great job describing sharpening stones in whole and this review is no exception. Nice job Kit. Now go find another stone and do it again please....👍
Yeah, this Kit! ;)
old onion wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:27 am Sign me up for another stone review too.
Suggestions?
Organized

Post by Organized »

Did you already review rika?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Organized wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm Did you already review rika?
Nope but that is a good idea. I was thinking that or an Arashiyama. I have not used an Arashiyama in so long it might be nice to get a refresher! My brother has my rika but I've been meaning to pick up another anyway! (I love suehiro stones.)
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I've had 30 years with my kitayama 8K stone. Still the hallmark for finishing stones in my book. But I have had my eyes opened with natural stones - whole different things - they start out at one grit and end up with a much finer grit if you get the right ones. Ken123 is almost a must for those of us in this rabbit hole.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 am I've had 30 years with my kitayama 8K stone. Still the hallmark for finishing stones in my book. But I have had my eyes opened with natural stones - whole different things - they start out at one grit and end up with a much finer grit if you get the right ones. Ken123 is almost a must for those of us in this rabbit hole.
I'm so far in the natural rabbit hole I have almost found the other side. :lol:
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 am
lsboogy wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 am I've had 30 years with my kitayama 8K stone. Still the hallmark for finishing stones in my book. But I have had my eyes opened with natural stones - whole different things - they start out at one grit and end up with a much finer grit if you get the right ones. Ken123 is almost a must for those of us in this rabbit hole.
I'm so far in the natural rabbit hole I have almost found the other side. :lol:
Trust me - been down here for too many years, there is no other side, just new rooms, each with promise of Nirvana
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

I have to agree with this review!

After owning the kitayama for close to a year I finally decided to get rid of it because I did not like it compared to my 8000 grit shapton Glass stone.

That is not to say that I did not like the kitayama at all, but there seemed to be some intricacies with using this compared to a regular whetstone.

I'd actually compare it to the AOTO natural whetstone that I have, in terms of performance and ease of use. Definitely takes getting used to, but once you are used to it, I can see why it becomes some people's favorite stone. Personally, while I wouldn't call this stone a half measure by any means, it almost feels like it's halfway between a natural whetstone and a synthetic stone, And being that I have a high grit natural stone, I felt that I would rather have the natural stone along with my harder shapton Glass 8000 for when I need it instead.

That being said, it is still a fun process to sharpen on! I found I had better results soaking the stone ahead of use, which made kicking up a slurry super easy (one or two passes and you're already grooving)

If you have never messed with natural stones, or have never used a high grit polishing stone, for the price, it's hard to recommend anything over this stone. I think there's more of a chance that the user won't like it compared to more basic stones, but simultaneously I think there's a higher chance this becomes a new user's favorite stone compared to more basic stones as well. It's certainly earned it's reputation hahaha

If you have some experience with sharpening already, and are considering this stone, I wouldn't neccesarily turn you away, but I would suggest before picking it up that you take a look at natural whetstones in the 100-200 dollar range and see if they might not be more up your alley.

The other nice thing, though, is due to it's massive popularity, you can try it out basically risk free because if you end up not liking it, someone will gladly take the used one off of your hands haha