Knives-n'-Cabbages

Jeff B

Re: Knives-n'-Cabbages

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:15 pm Busy weekend 😅
Also, not quite a cabbage, but I just remember that this thread has already had some exceptions, so why not?!

Also, also... I never thought my bread knife would get photographed, but here it is. A Victorinox rosewood handle. Man, that thing has distal taper, flex, and is dangerously sharp!
The flex turned to be ideal for this application 🙃😗🤗😋
LRM_20200617_154947 (1).jpgLRM_20200617_154642 (1).jpg
Now Dan, Raymon has said to keep these kind of pictures in "Knives at Work" thread. :D Pretty cool though.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Nascent coleslaw . . .

Savoy Cabbage and Masamoto KS, 240mm

I don't use this knife very often because I'm a lefty and the D handle is really uncomfortable no matter how I grip it. Hoping to remedy that soon, though.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ah the ol' Masamoto. So, didn't know you was one of those wrong handed people Ronnie. :P

Weird thread but we've had some fun with it! 8-)

My Kurosaki R2 Hammered picture from earlier in the thread that is defunct because of Tiny Pic.

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 pm Ah the ol' Masamoto. So, didn't know you was one of those wrong handed people Ronnie. :P

Weird thread but we've had some fun with it! 8-)

My Kurosaki R2 Hammered picture from earlier in the thread that is defunct because of Tiny Pic.

20190520_144722.jpg
Yeah, I'm a 10%'er. Your cabbage is so neat and orderly. Wth am I doing wrong?! :lol:

Btw, sounds like Tiny Pic is analogous to Geocities, who also pulled the plug on photo hosting with very little warning some years ago.
=R=
Kaisake

Post by Kaisake »

Blazed through a cabbage for okonomiyaki. Fun times.

Shibata Kotetsu R-2 Gyuto 240mm
Attachments
6AE74F41-C48D-47B7-A18B-3BCE49EC95C5.jpeg
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kaisake wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:54 am Blazed through a cabbage for okonomiyaki. Fun times.

Welcome to the forum Kaisake!
Those Shibata blades have long since gained a Cabbage-Slayer rep here :D Nice!
Is that a hi-soft board?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kaisake

Post by Kaisake »

Altadan wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:56 am
Kaisake wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:54 am Blazed through a cabbage for okonomiyaki. Fun times.

Welcome to the forum Kaisake!
Those Shibata blades have long since gained a Cabbage-Slayer rep here :D Nice!
Is that a hi-soft board?
Thanks! Indeed, it’s a Yoshihiro Hi-Soft board. Practiced reducing pressure/softening knife stroke after years of using conventional (read: shitty) knives. Impossible to go back after using the Shibata. Only eat super thinly sliced fruit and veggies now if a laser is in close proximity (more filling than chunks, perfect for dieting) —great practice. Never owned a food processor; I am the food processor.

Ran into issues resurfacing the Hi-Soft with the Hasegawa scraper, probably take a belt sander to it. Upgrading to a custom hinoki endgrain board.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kaisake wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 am Never owned a food processor; I am the food processor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food processor.JPG
Kaisake wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 am Ran into issues resurfacing the Hi-Soft with the Hasegawa scraper, probably take a belt sander to it. Upgrading to a custom hinoki endgrain board.
Hinoki AND endgrain? Hmm... never heard they came in that form as well. I'd imagine Hinoki is too soft for being an endgrain :?:
Well, when you get that board shop up some more cabbage and show it off here :D
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:22 pm Nascent coleslaw . . .

Savoy Cabbage and Masamoto KS, 240mm

I don't use this knife very often because I'm a lefty and the D handle is really uncomfortable no matter how I grip it. Hoping to remedy that soon, though.
Just pop that sucker off and flip it around. Super easy.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nice! I like to chop cabbage pretty fine but I've never gone that fine, but I bet I give it a try next time! ;)
ronnie_suburban

This was a new one to me -- aptly named conehead cabbage . . .

Conehead Cabbage & Masakage Yuki, 210mm

Conehead Cabbage vs. Masakage Yuki, 210mm
Thin, accurate cuts were no problem at all. I eventually crosscut it as well, since I wanted bits, not strips.

Ready For Slawification
=R=
gladius

Post by gladius »

Preparing cabbage (round head variety :)) for next batch of Kraut with Heiji Iwasaki Special Swedish Carbon touched up on Hakka stone.

Ready for salt and a pounding...

In the jar to ferment for about ten days.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ooh, is that a new version of the vacuum seal jar? I never had much luck with the old ones but that looks pretty substantial! Is it plastic?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Somewhere between grind, heat-treat, edge, low-cost I paid and the super rustic finish in this Yoshimitsu, I find this knife to be just... Favored :mrgreen:
I think there's a direct and opposite relation between how little I baby it, and how much I enjoy using it
(and the more I'm surprised at how its edge keeps holding!)
IMG_20200818_113452804.jpg
gladius

Post by gladius »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:20 pm ooh, is that a new version of the vacuum seal jar? I never had much luck with the old ones but that looks pretty substantial! Is it plastic?
I bought wide mouth lids << with one-way valves three years ago and have had good success - not one spoiled batch. I previously used weighted glass discs but some small pieces (I like slicing thin) occasionally floated to the top and grew mold. That has not happened with these. The kit includes a pump to remove the air in the jar and the valve allows the ferment gas to escape. They fit on regular quart size mason jars which are perfect size batches that fit well on refrigerator shelves. Recommended.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Altadan wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:34 pm Somewhere between grind, heat-treat, edge, low-cost I paid and the super rustic finish in this Yoshimitsu, I find this knife to be just... Favored :mrgreen:
I think there's a direct and opposite relation between how little I baby it, and how much I enjoy using it
(and the more I'm surprised at how its edge keeps holding!)
Is that the AS from Yoshimitsu?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
cliff

Post by cliff »

270 Wat for some slaw
IMG-4570.jpg
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow it kinda makes the cabbage look small!
cliff

Post by cliff »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:30 pm Wow it kinda makes the cabbage look small!
That's not the biggest head of cabbage out there, but yes, the Wat is a big beast.
gladius

Post by gladius »

gladius wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:23 pm Preparing cabbage (round head variety :)) for next batch of Kraut with Heiji Iwasaki Special Swedish Carbon touched up on Hakka stone.
In the jar to ferment for about ten days.

—-
Day 13 and it tastes the way I like it. This is probably the best batch I’ve made...what I did different was smash a garlic clove (Kimchi style) rather than add a few whole cloves. I second guessed the decision when for 8 days the kitchen reeked of raw garlic. On day 9 the smell went away and today the taste was right, super savory.