Grill suggestions

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
STPepper9

Grill suggestions

Post by STPepper9 »

Hey everybody, I think I need to get a new grill.
I’m looking in the sub $1000 range, probably 3 to 4 burners. Don’t need anything extravagant.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Kerneldrop

Re: Grill suggestions

Post by Kerneldrop »

If I was buying again today I would get a pellet grill/smoker.
I live in brisket country where stick burning is king, but there sure are many benefits for those of us that are ok with compromise.
Push a button and chicken and burgers have smoke flavor. Hard to beat if that's what you're going for.

I've had a $300 home depot propane 4 burner grill that has sat outside uncovered for 10 years.
Still works.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Traeger is one of my contenders currently.
I don’t foresee doing much in the way of smoking, though my needs will probably be very basic. Chicken thighs, hamburgers, hotdogs, steaks.
Not to say that I wouldn’t try adding smoke if that was an option, but I don’t see it as a dealbreaker for whatever we get
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

i looked at the pellet grills. was unsure if they got to 500f i like for searing steaks. got a webber gas grill (2 burner) as a not i also have a gas smoker but have not used it in years (wind) need to make a proper smoke house and get back to smoking big cuts
taz575

Post by taz575 »

My wife and kid got me one of Home Depot's 5 burner grills last Spring to replace my old charcoal grill. They didn't like the smokiness from the charcoal and it was small. The new grill is much larger and I can do more food quicker. The extra width with the 5th burner is nice. It has the stand alone side burner, too, but I haven't really used that much yet.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

we have a 4 burner propane now that's close to dead. - Hoping to find something that is low maintenance and will fit in the same space in the garage when not in use. and/or over the winter.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I use my gas grill 4-5 times a week and will get about 5 years out of one of these.
Like you I keep mine in the garage and wheel it out to use it, so I do not want a large grill but like the 4 burners for indirect heat for my ribs and SS wood chip holder.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-4- ... /310654539
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Weber......... Accept no substitutes :D
trfrttf12

Post by trfrttf12 »

I absolutely love my Kamado Joe charcoal grill. Since it’s charcoal, it obviously does great with high heat and direct grilling. However, it also has deflection plates that allow for low and slow (with some practice) and I’ve successfully cooked brisket, pulled pork and ribs using this method. The first Kamado Joe model is under $1,000.

I also love my pellet grill that I use now for smoking. It’s hard to beat the convenience of plugging it in, selecting the temperature and it being ready in 15-20 minutes.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have a Weber Genesis with stainless grates and burners. It's 13 years old, still all original and going strong. And you can't beat Weber's warranty.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Thanks for the responses guys
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I own several Webers (these days, all charcoal). They're really crap compared to how they used to be. They're built way more cheaply these days and even with meticulous care, do not hold up as they once did. My 30-year-old Weber 22" kettle has held up better than the one I bought in 2017. And their customer service, which used to be great, blows. But I think that if you must have gas, they're probably still your best bet these days, especially for the price.

I know some folks sing the praises of Napoleon. Based on my experience with their charcoal grill, I'd steer clear but maybe their gas grills are better?
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I see some research coming my way.
I haven’t had time to do much as of yet, But I don’t think my wife wants to deal with charcoal for the days where she wants to grill and I’m at work. One of my thoughts has been if weber or Traeger would even be worth it considering cheaper options are like $300 should still last us like 6 to 10 years (basically, this is what we’re replacing), and if I got something more expensive, I would be worried about somebody stealing it, even though I don’t know how likely that would be.
gladius

Post by gladius »

STPepper9 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:04 pm I see some research coming my way.
I haven’t had time to do much as of yet, But I don’t think my wife wants to deal with charcoal for the days where she wants to grill and I’m at work. One of my thoughts has been if weber or Traeger would even be worth it considering cheaper options are like $300 should still last us like 6 to 10 years (basically, this is what we’re replacing), and if I got something more expensive, I would be worried about somebody stealing it, even though I don’t know how likely that would be.
--

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-grills
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Thanks
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

STPepper9 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:04 pm I see some research coming my way.
You're expected to provide a chart rating the features, pros, cons, of the various grills you research. Then a point by point explanation of why the one you picked was the best for you. Then a follow-up report after using the grill for a month. A live speech is not required though. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

XexoX wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:58 pm ...A live speech is not required though. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Says who? ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

He said food pics will do his talking
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

trfrttf12 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 am I absolutely love my Kamado Joe charcoal grill. Since it’s charcoal, it obviously does great with high heat and direct grilling. However, it also has deflection plates that allow for low and slow (with some practice) and I’ve successfully cooked brisket, pulled pork and ribs using this method. The first Kamado Joe model is under $1,000.

I also love my pellet grill that I use now for smoking. It’s hard to beat the convenience of plugging it in, selecting the temperature and it being ready in 15-20 minutes.
I'm with you there!

I have always been a Weber guy...starting with the ubiquitous kettle and ending up with a Q3100, Summit and Smokey Mountain..Sold em all when we left Hawaii and stumbled on a very well built Kamado that was on sale for a super low price of $499 with all the accessories! Its built as well as any I've seen. I wasn't sure if it would be right of us and or how versatile it would be! WOW!!!! It really is a joy to use and so simple. We do different style ribs every week and they are the best I have ever cooked...and as good as I've eaten in most places. Direct is fast and so controllable. I love it.
IMG_6508.jpeg
taz575

Post by taz575 »

20230512_173824.jpg
This is my 5 burner NexGrill. It got blown over by a heavy wind storm this winterand got a bit banged up, but the main burners all still work great! The side burner isn't working right, so I gotta see what is going on with it. The knobs got banged up, so I may get some replacement parts ordered soon. My boss at work had a Nexgrill for over 5 years and they grill a lot, multiple times a week. His suggestion was to get spare burners and stuff so if they discontinue that model and change parts, you can replace it and keep it going. It was $300 for the grill, so it's not a huge expense.

I have pegged the thermometer on it to around 700 degrees. I loved my small barrel charcoal grill, but with the wife and kid not liking the smokey foods like I did, and the PITA of getting the charcoal going (lump charcoal for me!), the propane grill is much easier. Fire it up, go inside, wait a few minutes and I am ready to cook! I can do a lot of burgers or chicken thighs, or slab out a bunch of zucchini, marinate them and grill a big batch at once instead of 3 or 4 batches on my smaller grill. Most of the time, it's 8 burger patties or a 3# pack of boneless/skinless chicken thighs, so it's bigger than what I normally need, but it's awesome for when we have friends over and I need to do a lot more food!