Honyaki knife

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Lk@marill0

Honyaki knife

Post by Lk@marill0 »

I’m considering buying a Honyaki knife but no sure if it will be a good knife to use on the line.

Wanna know peoples experience if I should consider one as a line knife or everyday use?
jmcnelly85

Re: Honyaki knife

Post by jmcnelly85 »

When I consider the values that make a line knife, I can’t help but to have durability and replace-ability as parameters. On paper, I would rather own a honyaki than a beater knife; however, on the line if I’m focused on juggling the 16 items I have running at once, I don’t want to add a 1000 dollar elephant into the equation. For reference, I own many nice knives; however, my favorite line knife is a western handled 210 kohetsu blue 2. If something happens to it, I’m not out 1000 dollars and on a waiting list to be one of the few people to buy one of a few things produced yearly. If you want a honyaki, keep it at home, if you want a line knife, get something you won’t feel bad beating the piss out of.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

No. I am not saying that because a honyaki knife is a bad knife, they are not. But when I am on the line there are a lot of bumps, nicks, and accidents that happen. I usually ended up slipping my knife between two stainless tables or tossing it on a mag rack that was always obscured by tickets, plates or other things....inevitably it get chipped and needs more sharpening. More sharpening means you should be thinning more which is more difficult with Honyaki.

IMO a line knife is utilitarian with no bells and whistles that you won't mind if it gets dropped. My line knife for 5 years was a CCK 1303 or an old-school stainless Fujiwara.
Lk@marill0

Post by Lk@marill0 »

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep that in mind
HopeDMorin

Post by HopeDMorin »

Honyaki knives are made using the traditional Japanese method of forging using a single piece of high carbon steel, and going through differential treatment by applying clay or similar materials on the knife spine, so that the spine is tougher while the edge is harder after quenching