Vacuum sealer needed

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Ut_ron

Vacuum sealer needed

Post by Ut_ron »

I have been using a foodsaver vacuum sealer. I really only use once a year to package green chilies for the freezer.

It works for awhile and then trey full light comes on and after cleaning doesn’t work properly again. This is the second unit that does this.

So in the market for a unit that’s more dependable.

What are you guys using or recommending?

Thanks Ron.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Chappychap

Re: Vacuum sealer needed

Post by Chappychap »

Ut_ron wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:09 pm I have been using a foodsaver vacuum sealer. I really only use once a year to package green chilies for the freezer.

It works for awhile and then trey full light comes on and after cleaning doesn’t work properly again. This is the second unit that does this.

So in the market for a unit that’s more dependable.

What are you guys using or recommending?

Thanks Ron.
I have a one two punch approach to this.

For day-to-day things like parmesan, chillies, etc., this is FANTASTIC. Surprisingly powerful and bags fairly heavy duty. One of my favourite tools in the kitchen.

Waring Commercial Pistol Vacuum Sealing System, 8.2 x 5 x 8.2 inches, Black

For sous vide and meat/fish this has been great value so far:

GERYON Vacuum Sealer, Automatic Food Sealer Machine for Food Savers w/Built-in Cutter|Starter Kit|Led Indicator Lights|Easy to Clean|Dry & Moist Food Modes| Compact Design (Black)

Hope that helps!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I've come to realize that foodsavers are garbage. They require upkeep and maintenance that's very hard to perform. So they fail. And before that, their bag scheme is irritating, wasteful, expensive and impractical.

I love the Waring gun unit that Chappy recommended above (and recommended to me several months ago). And I've even found some non-Waring bags that work very well with it (different sizes, lower cost, etc.). The only downside is that, perhaps because of the valves or closures themselves, sealed bags don't stay sealed forever. So, for longer term storage, it's good to go back every so often and check/re-seal them if needed. But the convenience of storing items, using a few at a time and resealing the bag without any cutting, bag size reduction, etc. cannot be beat.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Miles

Post by Miles »

Recently Bought a Nesco vs-02 after my vintage foodsaver died. I can’t remember my research source but it’s decent and cheap. Was surprised at how well it “sucked”. Has roll storage and foot print is reasonable. Im not using it more than a couple times a week FWIW.

NESCO VS-02, Food Vacuum Sealing...

The geryon looks promising plus coupon…
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

We’ve had this Nesco for two years and really like it.

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I have an Anova vacuum sealer and I really like it. It goes back in the box after use and takes up no counter space. I've had it a couple of years and use it often - never had a problem and for $65 it's hard to beat. I make bags from bulk rolls so no buying pre-sealed ones for twice the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-A ... 137&sr=8-3

ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

I have pretty extensive vacuum sealer experience with various brands of home and commercial grade units. I have vacuum sealed thousands of pounds of product. Getting to know what your particular unit needs in the way of maintenance and care is a big part of the equation. For home use, I have a Foodsaver V2250 that has been up to the task for more than a decade (knocks on wood). On occasion it has stopped working but removing the foam gasket and cleaning and hydrating it brings it right back to form. I'm sure I'll have to replace it at some point, and I'm not even sure what model replaced it, but this sucker has earned its keep.

I buy 8" and 11" rolls and cut bags to size. I've learned just how to prep a bag for vacuuming by manipulating it by hand and laying it on the surface and presenting it to the sealer. Sometimes for wet items I will double seal the non-factory edge.