Best Gyuto Value

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Best Gyuto Value

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Richmond Artifex II

I only recently got into higher-end cutlery. As I was looking for a good entry-level knife, someone recommended the Richmond Artifex II. I decided to give it a try since, at just $60, it would be a more palatable investment (compared to the countless gyutos that are beautiful and highly-rated but cost $150 or more!). Well, I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. For context, I’m coming from a 15-year-old set of department-store kitchen knives that were mid-range (at best) when originally purchased but haven’t been well cared for in the years since. I don’t even think they’d been sharpened. So admittedly, the bar was pretty low for me. On the other hand, I’ve had experience with some higher-end knives, such as my grandmother’s Wusthof set and my mom’s Cutco set. In other words, I felt confident in my ability to distinguish a good knife from a not-so-good knife.

The Richmond Artifex II impressed me from the moment I first laid eyes on it. It actually LOOKS well-made: The handle is smooth with tight rivets. The metal is creamy with not a single scar or blemish from production. Despite being a solid, well-built knife, it’s surprisingly light and balanced in the hand. The spine of the knife is nicely crowned and very smooth, making it super comfortable to hold. The Artifex II is definitely a knife I could see myself using for those extra-long chopping sessions. The knife had a really nice edge right out of the box. After a solid six or so weeks of use, I haven’t felt the need to resharpen or even touch up the blade. At this point, I’ve added a couple of Japanese gyutos, a Japanese bread knife, a petty, and a utility, but the Artifex II will definitely remain in my rotation. I couldn’t be happier with this knife, especially for the price. It makes a great starter knife for someone who’s new to the world of high-end cutlery, or it would be an outstanding “beater knife” for chefs who don’t want to have to worry about damaging their $300+ gyutos. Buy with confidence!
Dane
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
FisherMAn1298

Re: Best Gyuto Value

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Every time I go on the site I check that blade out! Sooner or later it'll be mine. Glad you made such a great purchase, there are so m any killer blades here! Welcome to the wonderful world of Jknives!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Radar53

Re: Best Gyuto Value

Post by Radar53 »

Very late to this one, but I have 2 or 3 of these @ 240mm, in solid AEB-L (not clad) and they are great workhorses. Sharpen easily and take a great edge, which lasts a long time. Didn't get the credit they were due back in the day IMO. Nice to see that they are still available even if it's with a different steel.

I surmise that it would certainly make a great line knife ~ not that I have any experience in a working kitchen environment. :o :? :roll:
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!