Who owns a Takeda mioroshi Deba?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
dAviD

Who owns a Takeda mioroshi Deba?

Post by dAviD »

Just like the title says I'd like to chat with someone who's owned or does owns one of these for thoughts and feelings.

Thx!
David.

dAviD

Re: Who owns a Takeda mioroshi Deba?

Post by dAviD »

In case it makes a little bit easier for someone to respond what I'm looking for is some relative dimensions to the length of the blade. The product sheet on the website gives you the basic dimensions obviously of course they change quite a bit with his knives but I'm wondering about the distal taper or if it holds that width for the entire length of the spine.
Also I can't tell from the pictures what the actual edge profile is.
And I'm curious to see what the dimensions are where the grind kicks in behind the blade road because normally his knives are zero ground but this would definitely seems to have a more definitive grind.

I'd like to know these things because I'm debating between getting the longer version or possibly picking up something around 180 mm and using it for breaking down proteins, harder items like butternut squash but I also would like the idea of being able to utilize it as a beefy utility knife in a pinch instead of having to reach for a couple different knives.

I love having some kind of utility knife always within reach because there's plenty of situations that you were in across in the commercial kitchen where you don't want to necessarily use your razor sharp full size shelf knife while taking the ends off of produce or starting protein fabrication.

My last utility knife was great but it also was just a little bit too thin for situations on the line or in a rush trying to get stuff out.
And I told myself when I was going to find something to replace it that I wanted to get something a little bit more substantial.
Not so much just weight wise but also with and heft on the actual blade.
Kind of hard to explain exactly what I mean but the closest thing I can think of to try to convey it would be the difference between pocket knife and a kabar.
I did have when it his petty knives and I also had one of his Kogatana and I liked both for different reasons but obviously the Kogatana was just not really 100% practical only because using it if my hands were even remotely wet they would slip all over the place and I really hadn't thought at the time about finding a way to mount handle scales on it to give a little more grip.
But it's definitely something I'm thinking about down the road because I think it would be a fun little project or I think it would be easy to find somebody who could do that relatively easily without screwing it up or modifying the blade too much.

I've been jumping between a couple different choices for my next purchase and while they're supposed to be some 270mm konosuke Fujiyama gyutos in the works I've definitely been missing owning a Takeda especially after owning like 10 of them over the years. there was definitely something cool about unrolling my knife roll and having a full set of his knives at one point.... Especially for my knife nerd standpoint.

I love his gyutos but they are just a little bit too thin for my taste if they had a slightly thicker spine and then tapered down to the edge it would definitely feel more comfortable.
The first one I picked up from Mark definitely was a little bit beefier along the spine compared to the the next couple I owned after that and it almost makes me think about reaching out to him directly and seeing if it is impossible to find or have him make something like that first one I had at some point.

The first I absolutely need to replace my utility knife situation!