Knife for slicing sushi rolls

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
thetoe

Knife for slicing sushi rolls

Post by thetoe »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home
2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Suji/Long petty
3) What size knife do you want?
210-240
4)How much do you want to spend?
Less than 450
5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
No preference
6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Wa
7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Kono Fuji 240, Takeda Nakiri, Anryu b2 240.
8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good
9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Slicer
10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes

Need some advice guys. Been making a lot of sushi lately and am really enjoying it. I'm also looking for an excuse to buy another knife! Been reading about how suji's or long pettys would work well. So naturally I hit up CKTG. I am fond of Konosuke and have been using my trusty Fuji 240 w1 for sushi so far. It's been doing the job, but wondering what will going to a suji/long petty get me in performance. Been looking at the Kono suji's and long petty but a couple of things are holding me up. I really like the idea of the 210 petty hd2 but I don't like the western handle. Does CKTG ever get wa handle kono hd2 long petty's? I notice that there are a couple of custom handle 210 hd2 suji's but I really want a wa handle and the only one is a 270mm. I'd ideally like a something a little smaller as real estate in my kitchen is a premium(small kitchen). So I guess I'm looking for :

-Thin laser like suji or long petty
-less than 270mm
-Budget less than 450.00

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
atang

Re: Knife for slicing sushi rolls

Post by atang »

You’re on the right track! I love my 210 for rolls. If you have enough room and board space, a 240mm is great too.

Thin is in. Lasers are the way to go imo. A 210 is small enough they can be made thin without being to flimsy. There’s a some good 240s out there too that do a great job. Mono-steels are great to consider due to the shape and thinness.

Most options that fit your criteria are out of stock at CKTG, so I didn’t include any links in this post. Sounds like you know what you want. Keep looking, also something good may come up in the classifieds. If you need something ASAP, there’s a couple good options around the inter webs I can pm you.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Ignorant non-sushi-making-person here: Would a 240mm takohiki or yanagiba not be suited for this sort of task in this sort of space?
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

You are correct CKTG seems to be OOS of most contenders

CarbonKnifeCo has 210 Ashi Ginga Stainless Pettys in stock. These are almost identical to the Konosuke HD line apart from steel.

Aside from pettys, the 210 Gyutos with a shorter heel height ~42mm, serve as basically “line knives” like a combination Petty Gyuto.

Mowgs
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I like my Konosuke HD2 for it's laser cutting and there are a few in stock; one a 210 petty - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd2pe21.html

and a 240Gyuto - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html

I have the 240 Gyuto myself and I picked up a 210 Konosuke Fujiyama Petty that I love. My favorite Konosuke right now (but it's out of stock) is the Konosuke FT Blue#2 Fujiyama it is an exceptional laser cutter.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Hard to beat a Ginga 210 petty, given your stated preferences.

Given your budget, though, Shi Han is knocking out some killer 210 petties right now. They're not lasers, but Shi Han's grinds are flawless.
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

Thanks for all the feedback. Never heard of Shi Han, knives look pretty good but i dunno.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

thetoe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:56 am Thanks for all the feedback. Never heard of Shi Han, knives look pretty good but i dunno.
He's a maker in Santa Fe, NM. He trained under Ashi in Japan. He does everything (laminating, forging, heat treating, grinding, sharpening, handle making, etc...) in his impressive work shop (I've visited a few times). His craftmenship gets an A+. (Whether his knives jive with you or not, that's up to the user). He's very accessable via email. If you have any questions, he'll answer them.