Getting started with Sushi

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
JustinP

Re: Getting started with Sushi

Post by JustinP »

mauichef wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 pm Actually Justin it is surprising how hard I have to work to get a good selection for a party.
The basics are here most days but I still get fresh items flown in from the mainland and Japan if i want to really do it up!
Some stores stock basic stuff from Japan frozen that is still very good. (Hamachi, Unagi, Tobiko and other rows, Saba etc)
I can give you some contacts that will ship to you and it is quite affordable.
Aloha!
Heck, I can't even get tobiko here. Had to go to three stores just to find eel sauce :).

And yeah, would love some contact info for reasonably priced fresh stuff.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Justin, when you get down to Denver try "Tony's" for fresh seafood - my nephew recommends them - young, but he bounces from Denver to New Zeland and the Phillipines (Manila) and has a pretty good idea about seafood from the docks.
JustinP

Post by JustinP »

lsboogy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:03 pm Justin, when you get down to Denver try "Tony's" for fresh seafood - my nephew recommends them - young, but he bounces from Denver to New Zeland and the Phillipines (Manila) and has a pretty good idea about seafood from the docks.
I used to live right around the corner from Tony's when I was in the Denver area. Great market for sure!
JustinP

Post by JustinP »

Round two, getting a little better.

One spicy tuna, one spicy crab with yellowfin on top. Both were super delicious.

sushi2.jpg

sushi1.jpg