Naniwa vs Shapton

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
MountainMan23

Naniwa vs Shapton

Post by MountainMan23 »

Hello all!
I've not used this forum for around a year, but I'm back to ask more questions as always! I'm considering selling my Edge Pro to buy some freehand stones, and I'll be sharpening chisels and plane blades with them, as well as knives (obviously). Honestly, I've forgotten a bit of what I knew about Naniwa vs Shapton, but I'm gravitating towards Shapton due to price. Can anyone give any more arguments between the two?
Thanks!!
ken123

Re: Naniwa vs Shapton

Post by ken123 »

You should select stones that are quite hard. There are several Japanese naturals I would recommend for this.

Ken
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’ve been using this method on some planes, Shapton glass stone and a diamond plate. He also uses a 6k SG stone at times. It’s easy for planes, effective and it doesn’t break the bank. Those glass stones last a along time.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLobikOSftY
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
MountainMan23

Post by MountainMan23 »

nakneker wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pm I’ve been using this method on some planes, Shapton glass stone and a diamond plate. He also uses a 6k SG stone at times. It’s easy for planes, effective and it doesn’t break the bank. Those glass stones last a along time.....

What is the life on those compared to the Shapton Pro stones?
MountainMan23

Post by MountainMan23 »

ken123 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:35 pm You should select stones that are quite hard. There are several Japanese naturals I would recommend for this.

Ken
I'm trying to keep this as economical as possible while still getting a high quality, fast cutting stone. What are the naturals/what are their prices?
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

MountainMan23 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:44 pm
nakneker wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:18 pm I’ve been using this method on some planes, Shapton glass stone and a diamond plate. He also uses a 6k SG stone at times. It’s easy for planes, effective and it doesn’t break the bank. Those glass stones last a along time.....

I have both the shapton pros and the shapton glass stones but I couldn’t really answer which one lasts longer.nif you wear either one of those stones out hats off to you, you’ll be logging some serious stone/plane/chisel time. These stones will last the average Joe a life time.
MountainMan23

Post by MountainMan23 »

nakneker wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:19 pm
MountainMan23 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:44 pm

I have both the shapton pros and the shapton glass stones but I couldn’t really answer which one lasts longer.nif you wear either one of those stones out hats off to you, you’ll be logging some serious stone/plane/chisel time. These stones will last the average Joe a life time.
Could you offer any comparison between the Shapton and the Naniwa? For whatever reason I can't shake my preference for Naniwa, and I have no real reason why I prefer Naniwa. This wouldn't be an issue, but with the grit progression I'm looking for, it'd be $175 for Shapton Pro, $235 for Shapton Glass, and a whopping $314 for Naniwa (2 pros and a Snow White).
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Naniwas are great Stones, I have a set. I also a have a few SG and a few SP stones. As far as knives go I think it’s hard to beat Shapton glass stones for multiple steels convenience though. They maybe be thin but they last a long time and are true splash and gos. They are compact and travel easy, better than most any other stone for that matter. I see them used by many a professional sharpener too, which says something. My SP 2000 is one of my favorite synthetics and my chosera 3000 is one too. Both of those stones have a great feel and don’t load up. They dish easier than SG stones but do a great job.

As far as planes go I only have a diamond plate, SG 6000 and SG 16,000. I follow that video, it works well everytime I’ve tried it.
-toa-

Post by -toa- »

Hard stones like (shapton pro) are often recommended for chisels/plane blades.

For info on the natural stones - these subjects are sometimes best discussed directly (perhaps call Ken ?).

When it comes to sharpening freehand your subjective preferences comes further into play and would depend on what you need/like (fast/slow, hard/soft, soak/spash and go, portability etc..). This might mean that you´ll ultimately choose different stones for chisels-blades vs japanese knives (at least in the long run) .
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

I like my Shapton Glass for wood working tools over all other stones. The Naniwa stones get too muddy IMO and tend to float the tool making sharpening difficult.

The Glass stones are also fast and consistent making sharpening easier and less time consuming.
Ncknifespecial

Post by Ncknifespecial »

I'm a huge fan of shapton stones. Yes you done have alot of feedback because they are so hard but they cut great and if your fundamentals are good they will do a great job.