Takeda Coin

Jeff B

Takeda Coin

Post by Jeff B »

Mark was kind enough to send me the prototype coin for testing. I thought it only appropriate to write a review of my findings to repay Mark for his kindness. ;)

To begin with the coin came in a clear plastic pouch to keep your coin clean and safe. Will this be a feature of every coin going forward, only time will tell. It has a kurouchi finish so it doesn't clash with your Takeda knife, assuming you can afford one. I may take some fine sandpaper to it to highlight the high spots and make it look more rustic like the knives.

The coin is slightly larger, thicker and heavier than a quarter. The Takeda coin at the spine(there was no heel so I just chose a random place to measure) is 2.69mm, the quarter came in at 1.72mm. Distal taper was non existent but that was also true of the quarter.
The diameter of Takeda coin is 26.59mm with the quarter coming in at 24.23mm. This tells me that there is a good chance that it could get stuck in the average vending machine should you accidently grab it by mistake instead of your quarter.
The weight of the Takeda coin came in at a hearty 12g twice that of the quarter which was a slim 6g. I weighed a $.5 I have and it bested the Takeda by only 1g coming in at 13g. A silver dollar I weighed was a hefty 23g. I actually found the $.5 and silver dollar in the return air vent I cleaned out in a house I was working in. There was a total of $1.73 I found in that vent, finders keepers! True story, now where were we... :?
All these measurements don't take in account the production differences of various coins or the wear on a the quarter and other coins that has occurred since their production. These measurements only apply to the examples in my possession.

The balance point is where it gets interesting. I flipped the Takeda coin ten times and it came up tails 6/10 flips. Testing it again to be thorough I flipped it 10 more times and it came up tails 6/10 times again. It appears that the Takeda coin is slightly head heavy with tails being on top 12/20 flips. So if you use this coin to decide who's turn it is to wash the dog or take out the trash it would be to your advantage to call tails.
The quarter on the other hand came up tails 6/10 on the first round and then heads 6/10 on the second so it appears to be very evenly balanced making all odds more even.

My overall conclusions of the Takeda coin:

It is a pretty cool collectors piece of swag that you don't want to use in a vending machine but could come in very handy if you need to sway some odds in your favor! I give it a cool thumbs up! 👍

Damn I need another beer! :geek:

And thanks Mark, imagine my surprise! :o :D
Attachments
20190727_184336 (2).jpg
20190727_184412 (2).jpg
Last edited by Jeff B on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jmcnelly85

Re: Takeda Coin

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Well played, sir. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

How was the heat treat and edge retention? :D
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I'd expect stellar heat treat on that coin... Wow, nice to know about the odds, though I wonder if there isn't any variation in these, being hand made and all.
Great review, Jeff!

What did wife say? Do coins buy you a stink-eye as well??
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:10 pm ...What did wife say? Do coins buy you a stink-eye as well??
:lol: She actually thought the coin was pretty cool.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:29 pm
The coin is slightly larger, thicker and heavier than a quarter. The Takeda coin at the spine(there was no heel so I just chose a random place to measure) is 2.69mm, the quarter came in at 1.72mm. Distal taper was non existent but that was also true of the quarter.
The diameter of Takeda coin is 26.59mm with the quarter coming in at 24.23mm. This tells me that there is a good chance that it could get stuck in the average vending machine should you accidently grab it by mistake instead of your quarter.
... Wedging in dense ingredients. Thanks for the great write up!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Can I get a choil shot Jeff?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Great read Jeff, but I was just wondering how sharp it came out on the Steve Gamache scale please so I know whether to get Mark to sharpen it before shipping :lol: 8-) :lol:
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!