Kitayama 8000

gladius

Re: Kitayama 8000

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm A pass to me is about 10 scrubbing motions from working my way from tip to heel and then back. I think I am spending significantly more time on the stone.
——
Maybe not?? 4 strokes per section and 5 sections on that 230mm Heiji is 20 strokes per side - about the same per pass, per side you are doing. The difference maybe the amount of water used.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:31 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm A pass to me is about 10 scrubbing motions from working my way from tip to heel and then back. I think I am spending significantly more time on the stone.
——
Maybe not?? 4 strokes per section and 5 sections on that 230mm Heiji is 20 strokes per side - about the same per pass, per side you are doing. The difference maybe the amount of water used.
So math isn't my strong point... :lol: Yes, I more or less add little to no water when I sharpen on this stone. Literally a drop here and there. But I do find it fascinating how differently synthetic stones can act for different people! I love it. And I think that is why different input is a great thing for people to have when reading reviews. So thank you both for taking the time to contribute.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm So math isn't my strong point... :lol: Yes, I more or less add little to no water when I sharpen on this stone. Literally a drop here and there. But I do find it fascinating how differently synthetic stones can act for different people! I love it. And I think that is why different input is a great thing for people to have when reading reviews. So thank you both for taking the time to contribute.
——
Notice how in the Korin videos they rinse often (stone & knife) when sharpening, even when using synthetic finishing stones and generating nagura slurry, note the surface of the stone...

Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Yeah, not my style. If you wash the stone there is no mud. That seems like a given...I like mud.

Edit: I have tried this in the past and it simply does not work out the way I like, washing the stone that is. Keeping the knife rinsed is fine. Some stones work better when I let them load as well. It really depends on what I want. For a kasumi finish I never rinse away mud! For a polish, probably. Obviously this method works for others though. Whatever works. :)
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm Yeah, not my style. If you wash the stone there is no mud. That seems like a given...I like mud.

Edit: I have tried this in the past and it simply does not work out the way I like, washing the stone that is. Keeping the knife rinsed is fine. Some stones work better when I let them load as well. It really depends on what I want. For a kasumi finish I never rinse away mud! For a polish, probably. Obviously this method works for others though. Whatever works. :)
—-
Perhaps we can learn from others...
For a kasumi finish on a wide blade road, of course, minimal water and a thick mud is required, but general finishing on a high grit stone not required. In the high grit range, natural stones are mostly used to produce a kasumi finish.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 pm
—-
Perhaps we can learn from others...
For a kasumi finish on a wide blade road, of course, minimal water and a thick mud is required, but general finishing on a high grit stone not required. In the high grit range, natural stones are mostly used to produce a kasumi finish.
I learn from others all of the time but in this case I just don't prefer the method you linked too and have used it in the past. I am not sure why that is an issue...More than one way to skin a cat and all of that.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 am I learn from others all of the time but in this case I just don't prefer the method you linked too and have used it in the past. I am not sure why that is an issue...More than one way to skin a cat and all of that.
—-
Not an issue, we each have our own styles. :)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

That we do.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I guess this is closer to guys are seeing. However, I will note that this is not from a sharpening and polishing session but from a touch up on a knife that only needed refreshed, which is not what I do when I review stones. The opposite in fact, when I review a stone I take the edge off and start at 1k and work my way through a progression so that I can relate how that stone reacts after a specific stone, make comparisons to other stones and then post how it worked for me. Example: SP1k-K8k or SP1k-2k-K8k.

Anyway, this photo shows what you will see after about 40 stokes per side with almost no pressure. (Strokes per side starting at 10 and going down and the alternating strokes 1 for 1.) I do often use a stone like this but to me that is akin to a touch up, just like dry stropping. Hopefully that has caused no confusion!

HD2 needed a touch up after a few hundred pounds of veg so I thought I would see how it went.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

That looks about identical to what I see. I spend very little time on the Kitayama, but the results are great. It is interesting that you don't end up adding much water. Even after the super long soak, my stone would dry out quickly.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

cwillett wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 pm That looks about identical to what I see. I spend very little time on the Kitayama, but the results are great. It is interesting that you don't end up adding much water. Even after the super long soak, my stone would dry out quickly.
See, if I am jumping from a 1k-2k I need to spend more time on the stone to get the scratches out. Not loads more time though. As I said above, what I did there I would consider a touch up. :) However, it does show that stone react differently depending on a lot of factors. Water management, pressure, etc.

As for drying out, mine will but like I said, I like to run my stones muddy. That means little water and no cleaning other than scrubbing with my fingers to make sure the stone does not load and that ever ounce of that swarf mixes with the slurry and water to make mud! With mud stones in general seem to dry out slower or at lease differently as the mud seems to suspend the water atop the stone better. Or at least that has been my experience.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm
Bensbites wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 pm Great write up.
Thank you, Ben.
This was indeed a great read, Kit! I'm surprised you didn't mention it on the other thread!
You really do manage to weave the love-hate aspects very well together that I might have to read through it again and see what I find myself more attracted to, haha :)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Altadan wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm
Bensbites wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:15 pm Great write up.
Thank you, Ben.
This was indeed a great read, Kit! I'm surprised you didn't mention it on the other thread!
You really do manage to weave the love-hate aspects very well together that I might have to read through it again and see what I find myself more attracted to, haha :)
Thank you and my bad, I am not really good about linking to reviews. :lol:
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

I just received mine... It came with a "cheap" wood base glued to it.

It will be a while before I take cutlery to it, as I am new to the world of Steel to Stone.
snapshot2020

Post by snapshot2020 »

A Great review and thanks for posting it with the fine pictures
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

No problem, glad it was useful.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Anytime I see one of your Stone reviews I perk up, you do a great job describing sharpening stones in whole and this review is no exception. Nice job Kit. Now go find another stone and do it again please....👍
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

nakneker wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 am Anytime I see one of your Stone reviews I perk up, you do a great job describing sharpening stones in whole and this review is no exception. Nice job Kit. Now go find another stone and do it again please....👍
Thank you.

Lol--that would require re-buying stones that I let go a long time ago.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

nakneker wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 am Anytime I see one of your Stone reviews I perk up, you do a great job describing sharpening stones in whole and this review is no exception. Nice job Kit. Now go find another stone and do it again please....👍
Yeah, this Kit! ;)
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Sign me up for another stone review too.