Vacation home knife set

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
playingfetch

Vacation home knife set

Post by playingfetch »

I'm in the process of buying a vacation home (closes next month) and have been thinking about furnishing the kitchen. I know what types of knives I like (see my signature for current collection), but this will be used also by family and friends, so I am looking for something that will appeal to a larger group of users.

I think the Tojiro DP gift set plus a bread knife may be the best choice. But in case I missed something, please fill me in.

1)Pro or home cook?
-Home cook and will also be used by guests

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
-I'd like a matching set. Ideally a 210 Gyuto, 180 mm Santoku, a 135 mm petty, and a serrated bread knife.

3) What size knife do you want?
-See above, but can be anywhere in the general ballpark.

4)How much do you want to spend?
-Would prefer less than $400 for everything, but really doesn't matter.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
-Stainless because I don't trust my kids or their friends to wash and dry right away if I am not around. If you have teenagers then you understand.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
-Western in this case

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
-Below are my knives, but I don't let guests or my kids use them.
-Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm (I don't really like this knife)
-Anryu AS petty 150 mm (love it)
-Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle (love it)
-Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm (love it)
-Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm (love it)

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
-Fair to good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
-I usually push/pull but I think I'd prefer more of a rocker for the gyotu.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
-Yes, I use water stones and finish with a strop that has diamond compound on it.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Bensbites

Re: Vacation home knife set

Post by Bensbites »

Personally... friends and family abuse knives. They don't get the nice ones. They would get a cheap set from TJMax. Keep your nice ones under lock and key.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:08 pm Personally... friends and family abuse knives. They don't get the nice ones. They would get a cheap set from TJMax. Keep your nice ones under lock and key.
Wise words from Mr. Bites. Maybe knives from Goodwill.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

While I agree with @Bensbites, I have actually had really good luck in introducing my friends and family to nicer knives. They are definitely harder on the edges, so i wouldnt get them super thin knives, but i like sharpening ;) . All of my friends/family that have been gifted Japanese knives, now all say that they would go out and buy a new one if something happened to their current blades.

Hard to find "matching" breadknives outside of Mac, Tojiro, , Sakai Takayuki but maybe MAC is something that would work.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/allmacknives.html

Similar pricing to Tojiro and though I have never had any trouble with Tojiro VG10, the AUS8 on paper should be "less chippy."

My Personal favorite in this category are the Suisin Inox Westerns, but I would definitely get a Tojiro or Mac Breadknife.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

There are a lot of great "value" knives on the site. You could be classy and go with some Takayuki Grand Chef or Inox. But, when I walk out the door it's the MACs that come with me. The rest stay home. They are good, easily replaceable, and have a 25 year warranty.
Sam
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I’d get the knives out of the Tojiro DP line and call it done. They make great knives, and Western handles will feel familiar.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Can we be friends? I’ll take great care of your knives

I really think everyone should experience crappy knives and cutting boards while on vacation. Half the fun is using a dull cheap serrated knife with a broken tip.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Tojiro DP. Some years ago I bought the 270mm sujihiki to use when I cook a large roast for guests and let people slice their own meat. I have no issues with letting any guest use or clean it.
Ricardo
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Victorinox or German might be my first vote followed by Mac, tojiro, Miyabi, or shun. I think the only wrong answer is going really high end or hard to replace.
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the Tojiro DP is probably going to be the best for me, but will take a bit more time to decide.
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

You know what? Tojiro basic VG10 is less expensive and great knives. I bought a set for a wedding present and they love them!

You can get a 135 petty and santoku set and add a 200 mm gyuto for $117,or the petty/gyuto and add the santoku (they only have one left of the petty/santoku right now) for $119
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Costco has a sale right now on Skandia™ Constract 10-piece Knife Block Set for the low, low price of $48.99 through April 28th, if you are a member. I realize this isn't at CKTG, but what a deal! They are carbon steel knives, no idea on what steel or HRC.

Includes:

8" Chef Knife
8" Bread Knife
8" Slicer Knife
7" Santoku Knife
5" Utility Knife
4" Citrus Knife
3.5" Paring Knife
3" Birds Beak Knife
Shears
Wood Block
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

Unless you know everyone will care for them properly, I'd be looking into Victorinox knives and then maybe hide a nice gyuto for my own use. Or take a knife roll when you go on vacation.

It's always sad to see a nice knife that's been mistreated.
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The vacation home is primarily for use by me and my girlfriend, and we're planning to move there full-time in a few years after the kids are grown and out of the house (I'll bring my good Japanese knives at that point). We are buying now because an opportunity presented itself to get something at about half the normal market price. We both have family and friends that will use the vacation home too, just far less than us. I want something that is not so cheap that it is annoying to use but also won't make me cringe if someone else grabs them. I don't want to worry about flying with my good knives and having them stolen by TSA. So basically, a lower end set of decent Japanese knives will best fit.
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Based on what you just mentioned I think your first suggestion is a good one.

You could also consider these. They cut above their price point. Does a pretty good job getting and keeping a good edge.
Artifex II BD1N Gyuto 210mm $55
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/riariigy21.html

Artifex BD1N Paring Knife 80mm $40
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/arbdpakn80.html
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Tom_V

Post by Tom_V »

I have some cheapy Kiwi knives from Thailand that I keep out for anyone to easily grab to slice up veg or open packages or even cut the stems off flowers from the farmer's market...

They hold up pretty well and I won't go off if they get thrown in the dishwasher.