WTS - Carter Hopkins W2 KS profile 275mm gyuto + saya

This is a free service where you can buy and sell knives and sharpening equipment and kitchen tools. There is no fee for posting items but we require that you've made at least 30 posts on our forum before you post something for sale.
Forum rules
As stated in the description, we want to get to know you better before allowing new forum members to post items for sale. You will not be able to create topics until you reach a 30 post minimum. Please take your time and contribute to the forum discussions in a substantive way. SPAM posting to reach 30 posts is considered very bad form and could get you booted off these forums.

NOTE: If you have an item for sale and you are located outside the Continental U.S. please state your location so the buyer knows what to expect in a purchase transaction.
delmar

WTS - Carter Hopkins W2 KS profile 275mm gyuto + saya

Post by delmar »

Hello all, it's been a minute. Not on the forums as much these days, but always enjoy coming back around.

I ordered some customs recently and a Kono from Mark at CKTG, and made the foolish mistake of counting the number of 210-240mm gyutos I had. The number was a bit obscene. I've got a number of knives that I have barely used and I think it is time to pass them along. On the block over the next couple of days:
- 275mm x 54mm W2 Carter Hopkins with custom handle and saya
- Hunter Valley Blades 233mm x 54mm B2 forged finish, ironwood handle
- 243mm x 53mm Steeleworks (Britton Steele) diondamascus clad CuMai with Nitro-V core, tschumi kuruochi top, stunning mammoth tooth handle
- 241mm x 49mm AS Moritaka gyuto, stock handle.

Pondering my Ikeda KS AS suminagashi gyuto with Pham custom koa handle...if you have interest, reach out.

Up first.

Maker: Carter Hopkins II

Blade: W2 honyaki

Dimensions: Carter said 270mm x 54mm, I get a bit longer, closer to 275mm.

Weight: 7.6 oz, 215g. Yep, it is pretty damn close to laser.

Taper: 2.2mm above heel, 1.9mm midway, 0.9 about 2cm from tip.

Profile: I asked Carter to stretch out a KS/french/Sab profile to 270mm-ish.

Grind: Depends on what your definition of laser is...but it's darn close if not one.

Handle: Curly koa, buffalo horn, brass spacers. As with everything Carter has done for me, fit and finish are exquisite.

Saya: Gorgeous African Blackwood, hand knurled pin. **note: saya is a bit tight...I don't want to force it. I know how much the saya was and am pricing the saya at 50% of cost as it may, or may not, end up fitting knife. Purchased in 2018, it did fit just fine then. I think it is just a bit swollen, may just need to dry out a bit**

Condition: I've used this knife, maybe, 30 min. I got it because I was starting to do a lot of large stock/soups/gumbos, and wanted a large and agile prep knife - and this knife fit the bill to a T. Soon after getting, things changed for me, and this has been sitting safely tucked away in one of my knife drawers in my shop. I don't foresee a need now as I get older and my kids are starting to leave the nest, so I'm cooking for fewer. I'll probably regret the sale, but oh well.

I apologize for the photos - a photographer, I am not. If you need more, PM me your text # and I'll send them.

$725.00/obo

Venmo or PayPal accepted. Insured for purchase price. CONUS please. Canadians, PM me. I've had good and not so good experiences. We'd need to talk and workout logistics so it's easier.

ronnie_suburban

Re: WTS - Carter Hopkins W2 KS profile 275mm gyuto + saya

Post by ronnie_suburban »

A beautiful piece. GLWS!
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Carter's knives, handles, and sayas are things of beauty. I always love seeing examples of his work. GLWS!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

btbyrd wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:17 pm Carter's knives, handles, and sayas are things of beauty. I always love seeing examples of his work. GLWS!
Agreed, I have two and they are often reached for.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:44 am
btbyrd wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:17 pm Carter's knives, handles, and sayas are things of beauty. I always love seeing examples of his work. GLWS!
Agreed, I have two and they are often reached for.
How about a third! LOL
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Adding onto the pile that Carter is a master. I have a saya in African ebony wood for my KS. His craftsmanship is unmatched!

GLWS!
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Is this still for sale? I am also interested in the Ikeda KS too if still available.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Yes. PM me
delmar

Post by delmar »

UPDATE: I will split half sale with Maui relief efforts
BowenHopkins

Post by BowenHopkins »

Is this blade still for sale?