Spine hammer (tsuchime) defect or accident?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
RapaciousIX

Spine hammer (tsuchime) defect or accident?

Post by RapaciousIX »

Recently received a knife considered to be in mint condition that is discontinued. I’ve had it for a few weeks now and realized it has a flaw in the spine adjacent to the choil. I don’t know if this was something I did (see paragraphs below) or was something that potentially came as a black smith defect or from the transition of hands through time.

A few days ago I pulled the knife out of its box, I have NOT used this knife. I realized the San Mai construction of the AS steel and stainless cladding on the spine had begun to rust. My dumb self had not oiled the knife like I should have and have done with so many others and was left in the box aside from a photo op and gazing prowess’s.

I quickly grabbed my fine (red) rust eraser and removed the rust and oiled the knife. Later I realized that there was a small dent that maybe I had originally overlooked originally that looks like it could have come from an original hammer stroke during the tsuchime hammering or I was wondering if my dumb self had really taken off that much material accidentally while removing the rust; enough to defect the knife accidentally. Is it that possible to take off that much material so quickly off the spine of a stainless cladded KU knife with a fine red marked rust eraser?

Thoughts, opinions? Fixes if needed? Sand paper progression if needed?

https://imgur.com/a/p4vlXOf

Been kicking myself for a few days now as it is cause I don’t have original pictures of the exact spot from when I received it or originally shown.
Last edited by RapaciousIX on Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff B

Re: Spine hammer (tsuchime) defect or accident?

Post by Jeff B »

You definitely did not do that with a rust eraser. That is just a hammer mark from the tsuchime finish and I wouldn't even consider it a flaw. It looks like there are several other marks along the spine from the finish, that one is just the most noticeable. We call that wabi-sabi, I wouldn't give it a second thought and just enjoy having a really nice knife!

What exactly is the knife and how about a few more pictures, we love pictures around here! :ugeek:

Welcome to the forum! :)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
RapaciousIX

Post by RapaciousIX »

It’s a Katsushige Anryu 240mm AS stainless cladded gyuto Kurouchi/tsuchime
Last edited by RapaciousIX on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RapaciousIX

Post by RapaciousIX »

d_rap

Post by d_rap »

I very much agree with Jeff. That's essentially a normal variation that won't affect the longevity or performance of the knife whatsoever. Certainly it's a slight deformation from a finishing hammer blow, not anything you could even remotely do with a rust eraser. I have the same knife from 2019, probably one of the last batches made by Anryu-san, and it is very similar in spots.

And since you mentioned it, l just noticed my spine could use a touch up as well.
David
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent knife and thanks for the extra pictures. A lot of people around here would love to own one of those. Nothing wrong with that knife that I see, be proud that you have a very sought after high performance knife!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
RapaciousIX

Post by RapaciousIX »

I appreciate it, it was one I had originally looked at 8 years ago (ish) as a broke line cook without any knife knowledge. A typical global/shun first knife set out of culinary school cook. And the name Anryu and AS, B2 any didn’t mean a thing but I loved this knife from cktg’s pictures and just the overal profile. And I finally had my chance and went for it after years of learning on my own. 🙏🏻 Thanks again for the welcome to the forums
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Agreed with all above. No issues, beautiful knife. I have a few dentys and they all have similar appearance.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there RapaciousIX and welcome to our forum. Firstly I apologise for being late to this party.

As others have said, no problems with your knife at all. This cosmetic effect ("interference" with the spine) is sometimes seen as a desirable, additional selling point. Check out the video on this knife for reassurance https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze240.html

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!