Tragedy hits Kurosaki Raijin!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bob Z

Tragedy hits Kurosaki Raijin!

Post by Bob Z »

Tragedy strikes! Putting this poor Kurosaki 210 Raijin back on the shelf and the tip got stuck on the edge of the shelf and the knife fell out of my hands (while I jumped away). I hoped for the best but the damage was done. The edge is bent a few mm past the break and i imagine will have to come off also. Ill prolly have a 200mm when its done
Is it too much for me to fix or should I send it off? My lowest grits are 500 shapton and a diamond stone plus the Mr imanishi basement stone. Help!
Attachments
raijin.jpg
cliff

Re: Tragedy hits Kurosaki Raijin!

Post by cliff »

Ouch, I feel your pain.

What's the grit on that basement stone? I think, at a minimum, you'd need something in between an Atoma 140 and your 500 Shapton, or else send it out.
enjay

Post by enjay »

If it's just that tip then I'd just use as-is and naturally sharpen toward a new tip.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:02 pm ...the knife fell out of my hands (while I jumped away)...
That was the smart reaction. Results of "not smart" reaction... :?

IMG_0554.JPG

Doctor said it was a nice clean cut, knife must have been very sharp. I felt so proud! :mrgreen:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

OUCH Jeff! that looked bad! I had something similar happen when i dropped my Shun gyuto and it hit my toe! omg took forever to heal. Luckily as time goes on you learn to avoid knife mistakes hopefully. Drinking can be attributed to some of mine ...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That one definitely taught me the "jump away" reaction is the better option!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Oh Bob--so sorry..... And yes, Jeff--ouch. There have been a few R-rated (for violence!) knives vs hands/toes posts around here...

I am frequently impressed with the images of tip repairs I have seen here though, and you might just give it a try. I agree that your current stone collection would likely need an addition to do this right.

Good luck. My condolences.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Its looking like I can send it to Cindy, or buy a stone or two which hopefully I would never use again and would cost more than the repair or send it out which is what im leaning towards. A 200mm Raijin isnt going to be that bad right?
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

So sorry to see that. My Raijin 240 was my first gyuto so it pains me especially to see that! But I'm glad you're ok. 200 isn't that bad... I'm still lusting after a Kono HD2 210 (which is basically a 200) to compliment my 240s.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

If you aren’t sure about whether you want to fix it yourself, just send it out. That will require a good deal of time even with the correct stones.

While painful to look at the damage, at least you were wise to protect yourself from injury.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Brutal. I hear you. I am starting 2021 in a similar fashion. Took the blue tape off my Hiromoto after working on the handle only to find 10mm of the edge gone. IMO, that tip needs a bit of profile rework as opposed to just sanding down from the spine a bit. While it is certainly doable, I would send it off.

ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

So sorry, Bob. That really sucks. And Jeff, ouch! I think many of us try that 'catch a falling knife' trick just once. I've learned to just get the heck out of the way when it happens. The emotional pain is more bearable than the physical pain.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:02 pm Its looking like I can send it to Cindy, or buy a stone or two which hopefully I would never use again and would cost more than the repair or send it out which is what im leaning towards. A 200mm Raijin isnt going to be that bad right?
Send it to anyone but me! Trust me, I am not that awesome lol.........
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:59 pm
Bob Z wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:02 pm ...the knife fell out of my hands (while I jumped away)...
That was the smart reaction. Results of "not smart" reaction... :?

IMG_0554.JPG

Doctor said it was a nice clean cut, knife must have been very sharp. I felt so proud! :mrgreen:
I got the same comment from my doctor.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Actually not too hard to fix with the right stones. Be glad to help.
---
Ken
hz_zzzzzz

Post by hz_zzzzzz »

I would fix it from the spine. It doesn't change the profile too much and it's also easier as the clad is softer.
Screenshot 2021-01-06 181129.jpg
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Great graphic hz, really helpful, positive reminder. Who won't end up there at some point?
David
salemj

Post by salemj »

Sorry for the tragedy! That is very frustrating.

Doing a repair from the spine is not that challenging. I think the key is to make sure you decide on the spine profile you want first and then commit yourself to it. It is a lot of metal to remove if you still want a proper point, but it will likely go quickly that you'd expect. Given that the edge will be shorter, you can also raise the tip a mm or two and it will be a positive benefit to the edge profile rather than a negative.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:49 am Brutal. I hear you. I am starting 2021 in a similar fashion. Took the blue tape off my Hiromoto after working on the handle only to find 10mm of the edge gone. IMO, that tip needs a bit of profile rework as opposed to just sanding down from the spine a bit. While it is certainly doable, I would send it off.
This is almost worse than the OP: a major chip while covered in tape doing handle work? Very sorry. A total bummer on a vintage blade.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

salemj wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:29 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:49 am Brutal. I hear you. I am starting 2021 in a similar fashion. Took the blue tape off my Hiromoto after working on the handle only to find 10mm of the edge gone. IMO, that tip needs a bit of profile rework as opposed to just sanding down from the spine a bit. While it is certainly doable, I would send it off.
This is almost worse than the OP: a major chip while covered in tape doing handle work? Very sorry. A total bummer on a vintage blade.
Its worse for sure! I feel bad for you Kalaeb.