New choil on the Kohetsu HAP40

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

New choil on the Kohetsu HAP40

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

A customer did this with a dramel. I love the way it looks. I'm considering updating the Kohetsu but thought I would run it by my focus group. :)

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Chappychap

Re: New choil on the Kohetsu HAP40

Post by Chappychap »

I think it's neat. It's an element that draws me to TF until I see the price tag. This feature would make Kohetsu more compelling to me at least.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have clients that like them, and others that hate them.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I love the way a finger notch feels and think it would be a nice addition.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Not a fan personally. But I can see the potential commercial benefits.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I like it.
My Denka feels very sure in hand with finger notched right in.
enjay

Post by enjay »

I found similar notches comfortable, but lots of people seem to get nipped by the back-sweep as well.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'm with Ray on this one, I'm not a fan but I can see the appeal to some. You do have to be more conscious of the heel when it comes to finger notches, it will bite you...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I think it’s appeal is more in the vg-10 Damascus quality home cook with some flash demographic... I’m all for more knives with more nuance; however, I’d keep the kohetsu line the going with the no nonsense, pure performance utilitarian aesthetic. How much would this affect pricing?
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Modifying a choil in this way (including its size and exact position) seems to be mostly an issue of personal preference. As others have said, you're likely to find some who like it and some who don't. If it's not a one-size-fits-all situation, that could muddy the issue.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Alwayzbakin

Post by Alwayzbakin »

I got a Wa Denka with the notch because I thought it looked cool, despite reading others opinions it makes more sense with the yo handles. After using my Denka For a bit I think for me the notch isn’t ideal with the wa-handle. I feel like I lose a bit of precision control with my index finger in the pinch grip with the notch putting the contact point a bit further away from the rest of my grip on the handle. I could see how this would be less of an issue on a yo handle. Also for someone with larger hands it may not be an issue.
Can’t deny it looks super cool though
taz575

Post by taz575 »

It's easy enough for the end customer to do themselves, so I would vote for leaving it as is. I find I need to pay a lot more attention to the heel with the finger notch on the knife.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I find it looks cool, yes, but after having experienced something similar on the 240 Dauvua, I'd say that
a) it significantly shortens the usable blade length
b) it's not as comfortable as it looks, and certainly didn't feel like I had an advantage with it.
That being said, I could imagine how a 270 could bear it well, or alternatively, a very tall nakiri/cleaver style would fly.
Also, the kohetsu line really is proudly no-nonsense lines, no?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Interesting perspectives here... sounds like there's a couple of customer groups that this would affect. For those that are attracted to the coolness, this could be a thing that attracts people, BUT when people receive it and use it they they may find it's less of a benefit than they had hoped (or get nipped). I guess this could lead to a higher return rate. For others that just want pure function, I can see the argument on how it reduces blade length too, so I could see how that might lessen demand within that group. Sends like this risks outweigh the benefits to me, based on what I'm reading here at least.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I think the knife in the image looks great. But I don't see work of that quality too frequently. TF notches, for example, seem to have no sense of fit.
By contrast, the knife in the image has a large, rounded area that seems designed to actually rest against a finger almost like a ring.

And that is exactly the problem. The TF is generic, not super functional, and iconic, so it works as visual feature. The one above is bespoke, fit perfectly for the user, by the user, which is why it works as a functional feature. You don't want to copy the first, and you can't easily copy the second in mass production.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Alwayzbakin

Post by Alwayzbakin »

[quote=Alwayzbakin post_id=117046 time=1607846867 user_id=6429]
I feel like I lose a bit of precision control with my index finger in the pinch grip with the notch putting the contact point a bit further away from the rest of my grip on the handle.

Sorry I just realised I meant I loose the fine control I get with my middle finger on the choil. Duh, my index finger goes on the side of the knife! :oops:
cliff

Post by cliff »

I like it
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I like it as long as the notch and choil were polished or sanded smooth. I have a T-F Nashiji where the spline and chiol were too rough and I had to sand them to take off the rough edge. I also won't pay the price for a T-F Denka.
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

I do not like it...it looks gimmicky to me; but I like the no frills aspect of the Kohetsu line.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I'm not a fan of it, either. Don't like the way it looks, and I can see the exaggerated backsweep on the blade causing problems, especially since none of my other knives have that. I'd pass.