Any point in 12k?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
chef7734

Any point in 12k?

Post by chef7734 »

I currently use shapton pro stones. I have the 1k,2k,5k,and 8k. Is there a need for the 12k?
Cigarguy

Re: Any point in 12k?

Post by Cigarguy »

I seldom go beyond 3-4K. have a few 8k stones but don't use them much. For practical everyday use this is all I need. Any higher grit is just for kicks and show.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I like a finer finish than most for some tasks, like working with fish, and some detail work. The cut surface of fish, fruits, and vegetables looks different and has a different texture with a polished edge than with a mid-grit finish. I have a 10K super-stone and a couple of fine natural stones that I like a lot. I wouldn't use a 12K for a workhorse Gyuto, but I think it's a nice option to have.

ETA: whether you get there with stones or strops and compounds is another issue.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have a 60 hour/week job and three kids....so no. Even when I get to the point in life where time is disposable, for me, the answer is still a no.
I enjoy keeping my tools performing well, but I am not obsessive about it and my food still tastes okay.
gladius

Post by gladius »

chef7734 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:14 am I currently use shapton pro stones. I have the 1k,2k,5k,and 8k. Is there a need for the 12k?
---
The SP8k produces a very nice finish but if you have knives that can support and benefit from a finer finish then it is entirely up to you. I have up to the SP15k but rarely use it. I DO have knives that benefit from high polish but past 8k I like using natural stones. I also use a strop which is less expensive and handy for touch ups. I use a $9 bar of green honing compound on balsa which produces a nice mirror edge. I also have and use 1 micron diamond and CBN spray and emulsion - the finishes produced by each is very close and all work fine. You may prefer these to expensive high grit stones.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Push cutting/chopping.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Nothing better for making those perfect glistening slices of a very ripe heirloom tomato – gotta have a very fine edge to do it – and my 15K Nubatama (Thanks Ken123) on a white steel knife is the ticket in my kitchen. Hmm – I guess Jen is going to the store – asked her to pick up a few heirloom tomatoes and a couple balls of fresh mozz – we have basil plants in the kitchen as well. Little balsamic and some good salt and we will have a perfect light dinner that makes my sweetie happy happy
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've been sharpening for many years now and have dozens of knives and I've never used a stone over 8k, and rarely us it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 pm I've been sharpening for many years now and have dozens of knives and I've never used a stone over 8k, and rarely us it.
---
Hi Jeff, do you strop?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gladius wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:02 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 pm I've been sharpening for many years now and have dozens of knives and I've never used a stone over 8k, and rarely us it.
---
Hi Jeff, do you strop?
Yes, I think stropping after stones gives you the cleanest edge. I strop for touch ups too.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:07 pm ---
Yes, I think stropping after stones gives you the cleanest edge. I strop for touch ups too.
---
What is the finest compound you use if you don't mind me asking?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gladius wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:07 pm ---
---
What is the finest compound you use if you don't mind me asking?
1 micron. I like to use 1 micron on felt and then bare leather. I like to use 3 micron on leather for touch ups.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:20 pm 1 micron. I like to use 1 micron on felt and then bare leather. I like to use 3 micron on leather for touch ups.
---
Thanks. That is as fine as I go as well ~16k.
branwell

Post by branwell »

The highest grit stone I have is a Shapton Glass 16k. I haven't used it in a few years now. On knives that can support a higher grit edge, I tend to stop at 4 or 6k, pretty much never any higher. I know some people appreciate higher, but its not something I enjoy.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I'm of the school that there is no reason to go that high unless you have a reason to go that high. In other words, I tend to strongly recommend people stick to middle grits for functional edges that work on nearly everything, but if they have a reason or prefer high grits, more power to them. In this case, if you have to ask, I'd say the answer is probably no.

That said, you already go to 8k, which is high. So, if you like everything about an 8k edge for everyday use, I'd guess a 12k edge would essentially give you exactly the same effect when cutting 95% of ingredients. You might as well give it a try.

In my very limited experience, the one exception is raw protein. I really do feel a significant difference in grit when working with raw protein, and I can see how a 12k might feel different and probably provide a different cut than 8k. I don't cut a lot of raw protein, and when I do, it is usually butchering, not careful slicing, so I still don't have much use for it, sadly.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

What kinds of knives are you sharpening? Razors? Sashimi-knives?
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

I had a 16k that was fun to play with, but the edge was completely impractical to maintain as a kitchen tool. A few see through slices of tomato, sure...dice up an onion, and then try the same tomato slices.

I stop at 3k for most gyutos. 2k for roast meat slicer, 5k for sashimi slicer. My 8k SG has sat untouched for over a year. I strop on paper, more so just to align everything and tactile feel of the edge.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

For me it's a recreational thing. There's nothing like doing tomatoes, peppers, onions with a perfectly honed 12 to 16K JNAT edge. I always keep one or two touched up. I'm a fan of R2, my edge retention is really good, and stropping on a .125µ base up to 1µ is working for me.

That said 80% of the time I'm using knives in the 5 to 6K range. Plus it isn't like I'm doing 50lbs of tomatoes every day...

It's an indulgence and I enjoy it.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have an s35vn gyuto and an R2 gyuto that both hold an 8k edge well. All my other knives are 3-5k.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:06 pm I have an s35vn gyuto and an R2 gyuto that both hold an 8k edge well. All my other knives are 3-5k.
You are the only other person I know with an S35vn kitchen knife. Mine's a petty and it seems like I almost never need to touch the darn thing up.