Could some Petty's double as a boning knife??

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
KevinWood44

Could some Petty's double as a boning knife??

Post by KevinWood44 »

If so which ones would be best??

It seems like many honesuki's (especially with 50/50 grinds) are fairly similar to some petty knives.

So could you use a petty for example to break down chickens? If so which ones would be best?? A kiritsuke style petty? A Ko Bocho?

What would be the negatives of using a petty knife?

Thanks for you advise!!
jmcnelly85

Re: Could some Petty's double as a boning knife??

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’ve probably seen more petty/utility knives fill the role of a dedicated boning knife in pro kitchens over the years. Western handled stainless knives with “good enough” steel that doesn’t need to be babied if you’re in a hurry. I personally use an aebl Richmond artifex 150 petty that’s no longer in production, and have probably seen more people use the Mac Pro utility than anything else. After that it’s mostly German stuff with the occasional something interesting. Looking through what’s in stock on the site I’d venture the Tojiro petty/boning knife could easily be an inexpensive, versatile tool to fill this role. What’s “best” just comes down to preference once something reaches the level of a professional quality tool.

https://www.chefknivestogo.xn--c%7C-bsa/topakn12.html
KevinWood44

Post by KevinWood44 »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:34 pm I’ve probably seen more petty/utility knives fill the role of a dedicated boning knife in pro kitchens over the years. Western handled stainless knives with “good enough” steel that doesn’t need to be babied if you’re in a hurry. I personally use an aebl Richmond artifex 150 petty that’s no longer in production, and have probably seen more people use the Mac Pro utility than anything else. After that it’s mostly German stuff with the occasional something interesting. Looking through what’s in stock on the site I’d venture the Tojiro petty/boning knife could easily be an inexpensive, versatile tool to fill this role. What’s “best” just comes down to preference once something reaches the level of a professional quality tool.

https://www.chefknivestogo.xn--c%7C-bsa/topakn12.html
OK very cool. I sort of assumed a petty could do the job. Appreciate the info
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I use a 150mm kohetsu AS honesuki with 50/50 as bith boning and utility knife.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

My main boning knife is a Konosuke Fujiyama 150mm petty. It's does a great job breaking down a chicken.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Fun question. Off I went to compare some statistics....

I have only one honesuki, and it is the only knife I use when taking apart raw chickens, or cutting up whole cooked birds. It even gets pulled out every Thanksgiving for some around-the-joints work.

If I grabbed a petty for these uses, I would probably look for a forgiving steel (mentioned above) and for something with a not-too-fragile grind. And with a hint more weight.

For the fun of it, I started comparing 150mm honesukis and 150mm pettys by the same makers. I only checked four so far, but there is a pretty predictable difference in spine width at the heel, and in overall weight. These differences, along with others, help contribute to an interesting difference in feel and function.

Some examples:

Anryu Blue #2 hammered 150 petty: 2.6mm spine width, 2.9 oz weight
Anryu Blue #2 hammered 150 honesuki: 3.5mm spine width, 4.4 oz weight

Goko White #1 150 petty: 2.2mm spine width, 2.6 oz weight
Goko White #1 150 honesuki: 2.9mm spine width, 3.8 oz weight

Moritaka AS 150 petty: 3.2mm spine width, 2.6 oz weight
Moritaka AS 150 honesuki: 3.9mm spine width, 4.4 oz weight

Masakage Yuki 150 petty: 2.7mm spine width, 2.4 oz weight
Masakage Yuki 150 honesuki (I own this one!): 4.2mm spine width, 4.0 oz weight

Not a comprehensive list, but I just wanted to toss out some numbers as I thought about some of the different characteristics in the two types of knives by the same makers, in the same lengths. They really feel like different animals... Tips are even another story!
Last edited by LaVieestBelle on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KevinWood44

Post by KevinWood44 »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:34 pm Fun question. Off I went to compare some statistics....

I have only one honesuki, and it is the only knife I use when taking apart raw chickens, or cutting up whole cooked birds. It even gets pulled out every Thanksgiving for some around-the-joints work.

If I used a petty, I would probably look for a forgiving steel (mentioned above) and for something with a not-too-fragile grind.

For the fun of it, I started comparing 150 honesukis and 150 pettys by the same makers. I only checked three so far, but there is a pretty predictable difference in spine width at the heel, and in overall weight. These differences, along with others, help contribute to an interesting difference in feel and function.

Some examples:

Anryu Blue #2 hammered 150 petty: 2.6mm spine width, 2.9 oz weight
Anryu Blue #2 hammered 150 honesuki: 3.5mm spine width, 4.4 oz weight

Goko White #1 150 petty: 2.2mm spine width, 2.6 oz weight
Goko White #1 150 honesuki: 2.9mm spine width, 3.8 oz weight

Moritaka AS 150 petty: 3.2mm spine width, 2.6 oz weight
Moritaka AS 150 honesuki: 3.9mm spine width, 4.4 oz weight

Not a comprehensive list, but I just wanted to toss out some numbers as I thought about some of the different characteristics in the two types of knives by the same makers, in the same lengths. Tips are even another story.....

Very cool. This post deserves a reply =)
If I were to get a petty and use it a boning knife I would def choose one with a thicker spine.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2nakode1.html (not technically a petty, it's a Deba but I think it could do both jobs)
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

I just edited my post and added on the data for the Masakage Yuki 150 petty and honesuki. I have owned this honesuki for years--for me it was a great choice.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 pm My main boning knife is a Konosuke Fujiyama 150mm petty. It's does a great job breaking down a chicken.
You need a honesuki Jeff. :-)
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 pm My main boning knife is a Konosuke Fujiyama 150mm petty. It's does a great job breaking down a chicken.
Should we take up a collection after the awesome truck? 8-)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

michael1778 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:19 pm
LaVieestBelle wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:00 pm
Should we take up a collection after the awesome truck? 8-)
Sounds like a plan... 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Anyway, it's personal and maybe a little subjective but pettys and honesukis feel like such different animals to me. I forgot to mention how rigid my honesuki feels, which I enjoy. Not trying to dissuade anyone at all from going the petty route, but I have really enjoyed the "specificity" of my lone honesuki.....
dothedr3w

Post by dothedr3w »

Consider an Okeya Ko-Deba 105mm 50/50. Sure it's a deba on paper, but it's essentially just a thicker, taller petty, with a more forgiving steel and heat treat. Neat little unit.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm Anyway, it's personal and maybe a little subjective but pettys and honesukis feel like such different animals to me. I forgot to mention how rigid my honesuki feels, which I enjoy. Not trying to dissuade anyone at all from going the petty route, but I have really enjoyed the "specificity" of my lone honesuki.....
So many knives cross over so well; many are really versatile. What an experienced user can do with a Chinese cleaver just for starters.

And of course there's the economy factor: cost as well as space and simplicity. What good petty, small deba or any number of other knives couldn't, say, cut up a chicken beautifully, as long as we're talking right through the knee joint, no bones, and just meat and ball joints otherwise.

But that said, I feel the same way Cindy does. I cut up chickens often, and I too have one honesuki. Mine isn't rigid, and it's a single bevel, but when I got into these knives and saw that there were dedicated chicken knives on offer I knew a honesuki or garisuke (one spelling) would be on my short list. Just so cool having that special knife when I go to cut up a chicken. Personally, I use it for a bunch of things, as I have posted, but having a purpose-built tool can really be part of the fun in this category.
David
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

I'll vote for a honesuki/hankotsu as well. A good petty will just have to brittle an edge. I think the $80 honesuki with rosewood handle is a great value. Right profile, right grind, holds an edge quite well (better than 2 others I had). Kanehide I think?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Captaincaed wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:07 pm ...A good petty will just have to brittle an edge...
Not if you know how to use it.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I use a 150mm Yuki petty to fabricate chickens. If I had a home ski I would use it, but I have limited space to work and can’t really have a single purpose knife.
Airik

Post by Airik »

[YouTube][/YouTube]I use a 5.5” FC61 Miyabi Prep Knife instead of honesuke/boning knife.No chipping issues have occurred. It’s more versatile in a pro environment.
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 pm
Captaincaed wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:07 pm ...A good petty will just have to brittle an edge...
Not if you know how to use it.
Horses for courses, for me. A fine edged petty isn't my first choice for boning. May work well for others.