Kanehiro VS Makoto Sujihiki

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Jason183

Kanehiro VS Makoto Sujihiki

Post by Jason183 »

Hi, I’m looking for 270 mm hollow grind edge Sujihiki in either AS Stainless clad or R2 steel, with good edge retention and ease of sharpening. So I narrowed it down to either Kanehiro AS 270mm or Makoto Sakura sg2 270mm Sujihiki. I’m not sure if they’re hollow grind but by looking at their choil shot picture it’s what I’m looking for. I see there’s Makoto Sujihiki available on diff websites but I’m wondering if I should wait for Kanehiro instead? I like the toothy cutting feel on the Kanehiro AS gyuto and I did some research some ppl said sg2 is the chippier version of R2?
If anyone owns both Sujihiki lmk your experience, Thanks

1)Pro or home cook? Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Sujihiki

3) What size knife do you want?
270mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
Less than 300

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
AS stainless clad or R2

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Either

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Shibata Kotetsu R2 slicer(convex grind), Super sharp but not comfortable with k-tip, decide to switch back to pointing tip suji

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Push/pull

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes
Jason183

Re: Kanehiro VS Makoto Sujihiki

Post by Jason183 »

I’m also interested in white #1 Steel(also high thin grind), if there’s any for less than $500.
gladius

Post by gladius »

R2 and SG2 are basically the same; perhaps the difference is between stamped vs forged.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0

Consider the Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Sujihiki 270mm <<. I have the gyuto 240mm and it is an excellent performer.
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

gladius wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:11 pm R2 and SG2 are basically the same; perhaps the difference is between stamped vs forged.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0

Consider the Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Sujihiki 270mm <<. I have the gyuto 240mm and it is an excellent performer.
Nice, looks like it’s back on stock now, I will consider it too.

I also found this tanaka yoshikazu sujihiki 270mm white 1 on JNS, anybody have hand on experience on this one?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jason183 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 pm

I also found this tanaka yoshikazu sujihiki 270mm white 1 on JNS, anybody have hand on experience on this one?
—-
I have the 210 gyuto and it is super; especially for the price. Pick it up if still on sale.
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

gladius wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm
Jason183 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 pm

—-
I have the 210 gyuto and it is super; especially for the price. Pick it up if still on sale.
Ok, I think I’m gonna go for it, Only 1 available now, haven’t try white 1 before, I wanna see what the ultimate sharpness feels like. BTW what’s the HRC on this knife? I don’t see it on JNS
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jason183 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm Ok, I think I’m gonna go for it, Only 1 available now, haven’t try white 1 before, I wanna see what the ultimate sharpness feels like. BTW what’s the HRC on this knife? I don’t see it on JNS
---
Good choice and at that price it is a steal!
The HRC is not disclosed but the HT is very good and it feels hard on the stones.
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

gladius wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:23 am
Jason183 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm Ok, I think I’m gonna go for it, Only 1 available now, haven’t try white 1 before, I wanna see what the ultimate sharpness feels like. BTW what’s the HRC on this knife? I don’t see it on JNS
---
Good choice and at that price it is a steal!
The HRC is not disclosed but the HT is very good and it feels hard on the stones.
Hi, I’m kinda confused right now, most ppl said white 1 has better edge holding ability than white #2, but I saw some website says White #1 has the worst edge retention, even CKTG white 1 steel descriptions said “ These knives take an extremely fine edge, but do not tend to have the edge retention of other alloys”. Is that true or not?

So I was wondering even if white 1 heat treated to 65 HRC, it still won’t hold the edge longer than a white 2 with 62 HRC?
[URLtarget] [/URLtarget]
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

I tried the white #1 Sujihiki today, Ootb sharpness isn’t good so did the quick touch up on stones, it does felt really hard. I compared it with my W2 and HD2, it’s only a slightly better and smoother cutting feel Out of the three, and consider it’s Brittleness, hd2 and White 2 still remains 2 of my favorite steel in terms of smooth cutting feel, toughness, and ease of sharpening.
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

After 3rd week testing in the kitchen with YT white 1 suji, It’s still sharp, no sharpening required, stays sharper longer than my Shibata Kotetsu slicer(63HRC). So I would say white 1 steel has better edge retention than white 2 from my personal experience. Idk why On japanny website only rated with 3 stars I guess it really depends on blacksmith, there’s really no disappointment in Yoshikazu Tanaka’s heat treat. I’m glad I bought his Suji, this is one of the kind Suji that I’ll be keeping it forever, TY @Gladius again for the recommendation.