Workhorse for friend

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Altadan

Workhorse for friend

Post by Altadan »

I've a friend, home cook, who's in the market for a carbon workhorse.

1)home cook
2)Gyuto
3) 210
4)unknown
5) Carbon or clad (I'd recommend clad...)
6)no preference, but he does handle-grip
7)I don't know, but he wants something "decent"
8)knife skills "good"
9)prefers push/pull cutting
10)He sharpens (but I'm not yet sure one what, I'll check)

He'd prefer a workhorse over a laser, but if it ain't beefy it'll still be alright.

My first thoughts were a
- Tanaka Nashiji, or even a Sekiso.
- Itto Ryu hammered
- Kanahide TK

Generally thinking of Sanjo knives, but anything should work. I couldn't think of any western-handled workhorses. Can you?

Thanks for the help
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
gladius

Re: Workhorse for friend

Post by gladius »

Budget?

Take a look at a Doi or Gihei.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

gladius wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:31 amBudget?
Really don't know :roll:

I just noticed the Tanaka B#2 KU is available, and Yusaku stock handle is also available... though I'd still recommend he wait for something clad (even elsewhere), like wakui or something.

Let's cap it at $250
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

What do you think of this one?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haasgy21.html
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Qapla' wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:58 am What do you think of this one?

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haasgy21.html
Thanks!
I'll add it to a list for him ;) It crossed my mind, but not having ever read any recs for it here, (and the fact that it's more factory, and pricey) I moved on... but that's me. It's a nice looking knife.
Though, not very thick anywhere along the heel/spine, is it?

So far this is a list I put together for him,

All recommended, and in order of cost (I tried keeping it to workhorse class):

0) Dauvua (Thailand); carbon, can be treated like a beater. Sharpens fairly well. Very fun knife to use (mine was “borrowed” indefinitely…!). Quality control is not their strengh, but nice handles.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/dalespgy21.html

1) Kanehide TK (Seki city, Japan), this is a nor frills working (Carbon) knife. Not necessarily very thick at the heel, but will do anything you want, for a very good price.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/katkgy21.html

2) Shigeki Tanaka san (Miki, Japan); carbon (Blue #2) with a “kurouchi” black finish over the iron cladding. The blade road is reactive, and so is the rest of the knife (except the black protects it). Nice all-roudner profile. Rough spine & heel, can be relieved with sandpaper. Get’s wickedly sharp and holds edge well. (this one can be had with a nicer handle from the Australian shop, below)
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html

3) Similar to the above No.2 (and similar price). I’ve never used it, but heard good things.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yubl2gy21.html

4) Itto-Ryu (made by either Mr. Wakui or Mr. Yoshikane, Sanjo, Japan); stainless clad carbon (White #2). I’ve never tried it, but I’d warmly recommend it. Heard enough good things, and I like it’s construction and hammer finish (only the handle is cheapo).
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/itryuwh2gy21.html

5) Similar to above No. 4, but different finish, nicer handle, and comes from Australia
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/coll ... red-finish

6) Goko, (Kashiwa city, Japan), stainless clad carbon (White #1), workhorse knife. Sharpens easily. Never used it, but would recommend. Not as pretty as some. It’s in stock.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto210mm.html

7) Tanaka; stainless clad carbon (Blue #2), my best recommendation for you. Comes from Australia, though shipping might be free for that price (currently not in stock, but sign up and get notified)
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/coll ... nless-clad
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Altadan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:02 am Thanks!
I'll add it to a list for him ;) It crossed my mind, but not having ever read any recs for it here, (and the fact that it's more factory, and pricey) I moved on... but that's me. It's a nice looking knife.
Though, not very thick anywhere along the heel/spine, is it?
I don't know very much specifics about it, as I haven't used that knife. The other one of that type (i.e. western-handle stainless-clad blue-super) I was going to suggest was the JCK Deep Impact, but that's currently sold out.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Every Harukaze I've owned or used is an excellent cutter, Dan. The AS is no exception. A bit rounded and I wouldn't call it a workhorse, but it can do the job. Really nice tip.

You know what I think of Tanaka. The Nashiji sounds like a better fit in this case, unless your friend likes to rock a lot of stuff.

The Ittu splits the difference. Easy to sharpen, pretty good looks and versatile. The Masakage Yuki is in the same league.

If it were avaiable, the Makoto Ryusei would be my choice. Excellent all-round knife with stainless cladding and good looks that don't detract from performance. A little muscle is sacrified relative to Tanaka or Ittu, but not much.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

jbart65 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:39 am Every Harukaze I've owned or used is an excellent cutter, Dan. The AS is no exception. A bit rounded and I wouldn't call it a workhorse, but it can do the job. Really nice tip.
Are you referring to the Harukaze AS wa-gyuto, or to the linked western hammered AS?
jbart65 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:39 am
The Masakage Yuki is in the same league.
That came to mind too. How's the muscle on that one? I've never handled a Yuki.

EDIT: I also thought of adding a Watanabe to the list, but that sorta costs more than I suspect he'd want to pay.
Have you handled one of those, Jeffry?
bruin

Post by bruin »

I’ve used one Yuki 240 gyuto and it was medium thick at the spine but quite stiff. I’d say not quite all the way a workhorse, but it could fulfill that need. Really nice grind and good OOTB edge.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Last edited by Jeff B on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 am ALL DAY LONG. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gibl2gy21.html
You know, I thought so too! I even went snooping around, but... it's hard to get used to the notion of paying more for what COULD, at one-time, be had for less
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Agree with Bruin on the Yuki.

Dan, I used the Harukaze AS with wa handle. Very similar from what I can see to the western handled one. I've used or own three different Harukazes and they are similar. The ginsan has a somewhat different profile and grind, but it's in the same family.

Watanabe. I've got a custom profiled 180 nakiri stainless clad B2. Best nakiri I've ever used. Helluva knifesmith. Great heat treat, superb edge, lean but muscular.
Jeffry B
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Kanehide, Gihei and Doi.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Makoto ryusen is a solid all arounder that impresses most.

I like the gihei and enjoyed owning one, but it is heavier than most and the tip isn't as approachable as others.

I do love the Kanehiros...i just feel like the price point is a bit high.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

delmar wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43 pm Makoto ryusen is a solid all arounder that impresses most.

I like the gihei and enjoyed owning one, but it is heavier than most and the tip isn't as approachable as others.

These days the Gihei are offered for similar price to the Kanehiro, hm?

Anyway, word came back from friend that he needs to review what I suggested (as well as this discussion, which I linked him to), and then he'll likely dip his feet slowly before he makes any major investment (a knifenut embryo? :lol: ), so... maybe the Kanahide TK or Tanaka KU. We'll see.

Thanks so much for all the help!
delmar

Post by delmar »

Altadan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:46 pm
delmar wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43 pm Makoto ryusen is a solid all arounder that impresses most.

These days the Gihei are offered for similar price to the Kanehiro, hm?

Anyway, word came back from friend that he needs to review what I suggested (as well as this discussion, which I linked him to), and then he'll likely dip his feet slowly, so... maybe the Kanahide TK or Tanaka KU. We'll see.

Thanks so much for all the help!
And I'd take the kanehiro all day long over the gihei, especially with pricing in gihei's going up. I like the knife, bit the flat spot and tip have me feeling like I am using a Santoku. Its worse in the 240, but the 210 felt like that to me. I grabbed the 240 I owned quite a bit for things I would use a naikiri for. But if I had garlic, shallots or any other fine work on the baord to do, the gihei would stay in the drawer.

Now the Kanehiros have that handmade feel, solid but not heavy and very clean anesthetics. I owned both the ginsan and AS 240s and really enjoyed them. It was weird for me - solid knives, good looking, good performing....but for what they cost, I found myself gravitating towards other knives. I guess their luster faded a bit when I considered their price. Does that make sense?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

delmar wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Now the Kanehiros have that handmade feel, solid but not heavy and very clean anesthetics. I owned both the ginsan and AS 240s and really enjoyed them. It was weird for me - solid knives, good looking, good performing....but for what they cost, I found myself gravitating towards other knives. I guess their luster faded a bit when I considered their price. Does that make sense?
Perfect sense. I have never owned one for just those reasons. Once you get so close to the $300 area, you look at other knives... :lol:
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

IMO the Kanehiros are well worth the money. If I could only have one all-round knife, the AS might be it.

interestingly, I recall my Gihei as having a good flat spot AND some belly for rocking. But it's been awhile ...

If you friend is a toe dipper, hard to beat the Harukaze ginsan. Weird to think of $130 as entry level, but it's the best knife for the money on CKTG in my view.
Jeffry B
gladius

Post by gladius »

Agreed the Kanehiro knives are worth the coin, though I've noticed the newer Katos (Kanehiro, Yuki, etc.) appear ground thinner than the knives of past years so would not consider these workhorses.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Glad to hear the perspectives. So much of this is subjective - one's cast-off can be another's treasure.

The gehei does have some belly for rocking...a bit of a quick transition, but its there. The tip just wasn't very approachable for me. Bada$$ at chopping and push cuts, though.