What is Your Oldest Kitchen Knife?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
TheLegalRazor

What is Your Oldest Kitchen Knife?

Post by TheLegalRazor »

My oldest knife is this 8" Henckels. I purchased it new in 1990, making it 30 years old. This was long before I got into Japanese knives, and it was an upgrade from an 8" Victorinox. I don't recall what I paid for it, the type of steel, or the name of the series.

The knife does not get much use today. However, for many years it was an amazing, durable, daily workhorse. Among its many accomplishments is going through countless bone in roasts and racks of ribs, and never getting a chipped edge or broken tip. I've never polished it. Although the photo does not show it, the knife has scratches from my early years on the 1k, learning to sharpen.

20200725_200530.jpg
Last edited by TheLegalRazor on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo
jmcnelly85

Re: What is Your Oldest Knife?

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I found a 8 inch flexible wusthof slicer that based off the logo would’ve put it somewhere in the 1950’s-60’s for 25 cents at a local thrift store. Took about an hour on the stones and a fair amount of sandpaper and mineral oil to make it look like something worth more than 25 cents. Absolute beast against protein.
SSuchan

Re: What is Your Oldest Knife?

Post by SSuchan »

My oldest kitchen knife is a Chinese cleaver that my Mom bought for me in Chinatown 34 years ago. I stopped using it about 5 years ago as it required thinning that would result in a major mod. An interesting tidbit here. It came with a plain unsealed handle like we see on the CCKs. I gave a quick rub with some tung oil every couple of years and it never cracked. I probably could have done Tru-oil and forgotten about it.

My oldest non-kitchen knives is a small collection of pocket knives that i accumulated about 40 years ago. Some of them are still in use.
salemj

Re: What is Your Oldest Kitchen Knife?

Post by salemj »

Interesting question. It makes me realize I don't have any old knives. I think that, technically, the oldest knife in my kitchen is actually this little Victorinox petty I bought in Switzerland for 2 francs. At the time, I also bought my first Japanese knife, a Masamoto VG, but I have since sold that knife. The second oldest knife still in my collection would then be my Konosuke HD 240mm Funayuki-Gyuto.

My collection started with a set of three Henckels I bought in college, which essentially means it was really was my first set of knives ever. But I have since sold all of those or gave them away, along with several other knives.

Interesting question!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Oldest kitchen knife is one of a few I made up as kits 50 years ago. I gave the smaller (shorter) knife to my sons years ago but kept this 12" carbon steel knife and use it a lot. I seem to recall that it was made from spring steel I thought it was 1090 or 1095 steel. I cleaned the patina off of it a few years ago when I first discovered bar keepers friend and didn't want to use it on my new Japanese knifes first. It sits in my knife block gets used and gets a quick wipe and put away.
Attachments
IMG_4713.JPG
IMG_3434.JPG
cliff

Post by cliff »

If you'll count NOS, I have a Nogent Sabatier. Other than that, I have a hand-me-down Wusthof
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I found an old Forgecraft butchers knife in really great shape in New Mexico. Beautiful hickory scales, nice tight grain, perfect shape. All the steel needed was a little polishing and one pass 1K / 3K.

Based on the markings on the steel it’s at least early 1950s. Possibly earlier but I’m having trouble confirming whether they were produced before then.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I have a Forgecraft filet knife that I got from my paternal grandmother and a fixed blade hunting knife that was my maternal grandfather's. No idea how old they are but my grandfather's knife looks ancient and I never knew him to use it so he put all those miles on before I was around. Wouldn't surprise me if either or both of those knives were 80 years old.

I also have some of my dad's folders which would be older than I am and my first knife, a swiss army knife that I took apart, broke, and can't bring myself to throw out yet :roll:

Stuff I bought new, I have a Zhen kit paring knife I put together from Woodcraft about 15 years ago and a Mac santoku, my first knife from Mark that I bought about 10 yrs ago.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

cedarhouse wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:10 pm No idea how old they are but my grandfather's knife looks ancient and I never knew him to use it so he put all those miles on before I was around. Wouldn't surprise me if either or both of those knives were 80 years old.
Hi Ryan. Can you post a shot of the "Forgecraft" stamps on the blades? Based on the style of script I might be able to help get you dated if it's 1950 or later.

I've heard stories about Forgecraft being produced as early as 1900. But they're just stories. Wish I knew for sure.

The markings on my butchers knife don't completely square up with the 1950s markings I've seen but the style of script seems earlier than 1960s. For all I know I might have a 100 year old knife.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:08 am Hi Ryan. Can you post a shot of the "Forgecraft" stamps on the blades? Based on the style of script I might be able to help get you dated if it's 1950 or later.

Don't know if you can see it clearly. It is a bit tough to get good lighting.

I have no idea the production history of the forgecraft knives. I know this had been in my grandmother's drawer forever and it looked old when I was young.
IMG_1532.jpg
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I'm going to put it at either early 50s or early 60s. Mid to late 50s the g had a curl to it. I'm tempted to call early 50s since it looks pretty well struck but it's hard for me to tell from the picture.

When I get. a chance I'll snap. a shot of mine next to a penny. If you're interested you can take a crack at comparing it yourself.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

With the exception of maybe Ken, I think I have you all beat. Pre-Civil War Slicer by JW Onderdonk with silver bolster and ivory handle:
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

Here's mine. The one on the far let Chicago cutlery 150mm with black handle.
The first knife I ever bought with my own "money" .. more like points from a grocery store, back when you can still get stuff for points.

I learned to sharpen on it, I used it for thinning practice too.

This is also my wifes favorite knife ...
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:45 am I'm going to put it at either early 50s or early 60s. Mid to late 50s the g had a curl to it. I'm tempted to call early 50s since it looks pretty well struck but it's hard for me to tell from the picture.

When I get. a chance I'll snap. a shot of mine next to a penny. If you're interested you can take a crack at comparing it yourself.

Awesome feed back. Thank!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:57 am With the exception of maybe Ken, I think I have you all beat. Pre-Civil War Slicer by JW Onderdonk with silver bolster and ivory handle:
Strange, not sure where the image went...it is even missing from Imgur. Reposting:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

My oldest knife was my Fathers but it was his military knife and its older than me. My oldest kitchen knives are some Gerber chef knives. You guys have me beat.
Ken
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

ken123 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:10 pm My oldest knife was my Fathers but it was his military knife and its older than me. My oldest kitchen knives are some Gerber chef knives. You guys have me beat.
Ken
I thought you had a 600 year old Japanese blade?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

No. That was a picture taken when I visited the Moritakas many years ago.
I doubt it has left their possession.

Ken

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:10 pm
ken123 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:10 pm My oldest knife was my Fathers but it was his military knife and its older than me. My oldest kitchen knives are some Gerber chef knives. You guys have me beat.
Ken
I thought you had a 600 year old Japanese blade?