Stone advice

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Fredward

Stone advice

Post by Fredward »

Hey guys so I am just getting into sharpening. I already bought a Shapton glass 320 and a Ninawa Chosera 800 based on recommendations/reviews from the Burrfection YouTube channel before I found this place. It I think there was just too much information there and it was too scattered. Now as I read the knife planted sharpening class articles and videos and as I was searching for which fine grit stone to buy I’m rethinking my choices. I bought them on amazon so I can easily return them if I go a different direction.

Seems like the top recommendation for a solid new setup would be the Chosera/pro 400, 1000, 5000.

Info about me is I just got a vg10 gyuto and a white #1 Nakiri, i also have a Henkle and Mercer That will be the first ones to sharpen since the new ones are already sharp.

So my question is should I ditch the Shapton, should I ditch the 800, both? Or stick with those and just buy a 3 or 5k. Im just thinking the 320 is coarser than I wanted.

I know there’s tons of info on noob stone choice and it’s been asked a million times. And I guess I already know the answer I just wanted to talk it out and chat/get peoples thoughts.

Thanks!
gladius

Re: Stone advice

Post by gladius »

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Either Shapton Pro or Chosera are fine sets: Shapton Pro are slightly faster and stronger cutters while the Chosera polish slightly finer and are larger but cost more.

You can keep the 800 (a good stone) and add the 400 and a 5k and you are set.

Alternatively I like the Shapton Pro 220, 1k and 5k set.
Last edited by gladius on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

The stones you have are just fine.
Usually we recommend people start off with stones in the same series, as they feel similar or at least have a progression of feel. It just removes a variable when learning.
Functionally, you're alright. And both Shaptons and Choseras are hard stones, the SG moreso. They aren't extremely different.
A 320 stone isn't going to be your final edge, I see no issue there. It's a bit of a matter of taste.
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

The stones you have are perfectly fine. You are way over thinking it. It's not the stone, it is the stone user. Practice, practice, practice and practice some more.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

^^Exactly^^ Don't overthink the stones. Any stone you find at a retailer like CKTG is going to be a good stone. You will eventually develop different tastes and favorite stones over time but it's more about you than the stones right now. All you need is a 3-5k to add to what you have and you're good to go. And don't forget a flattening plate and stone holder too.

The Master of all Masters in sharpening. https://www.youtube.com/c/HalifaxSharpenerPete/videos
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well the two stones you got are somewhat close to each other. You'll develop a taste for even coarser stones for repairs. Given what you have you could skip a 1k and go with a 1.5k or 2k stone. Keep what you have and see what you like about each of them. Its a good start. Learn to master these coarser grits first.

Ken
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I started with Choseras: 400, 1k, 5k. I've since added the 800 and 3k. I definitely would not be returning your stones you purchased.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

Thanks everyone. This helps. I hear you about not overthinking it, but let’s be honest, that’s half the fun when starting a new hobby. Or at least it is when your a gadget nerd.

So I now realize I was trying to ask if the glass 320 and Chosera 800 were too close together in grits, and if I should have stuck with one line of stones. But sounds like I’m on a good enough track and can just add a Chosera 3 or 5k

I really don’t want more stones than I need because I travel for work and try to keep it minimal
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Fredward wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:31 pm Thanks everyone. This helps. I hear you about not overthinking it, but let’s be honest, that’s half the fun when starting a new hobby. Or at least it is when your a gadget nerd.

So I now realize I was trying to ask if the glass 320 and Chosera 800 were too close together in grits, and if I should have stuck with one line of stones. But sounds like I’m on a good enough track and can just add a Chosera 3 or 5k

I really don’t want more stones than I need because I travel for work and try to keep it minimal
The Glass 320 and Chosera 800 are not too close. The Chosera 800 finish is about equal to the Glass 1k.
I'd add the Chosera 3k and add something higher down the road if you want to go higher later. The Chosera 3k will put a great working edge on your knives and is an excellent stone when you just need a touch up, one of my favorite stones.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ews111

Post by ews111 »

Definitely keep the Chosera 800!!!!! I'd just add a Chosera 3000 and you'll be set! Several passes on a strop will take an already great Chosera 3000 edge to a mirror finish.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well this is interesting. For the steels you are sharpening either stone should do. If anything you can experience a difference in stone brands. I routinely use a 320 Nubatama platinum followed by a 600 platinum if I am using them on harder steels but for softer steels I would use either a 1k or 1500 platinum next.
Pay attention to the stones you have to get best performance out of them. Cheating by jumping to higher grits prematurely will give you lesser edges. People using 1/6k stones typically produce poorer work. A generalization yes but one I have seen over the decades of teaching sharpening.

Ken
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

Thanks everyone!. Looks like I’ll go with my original though, the Chosera 3k. I might switch the glass for the Chosera 400. Not sure I like the feel of it