210 gyuto workhorse and 240 upgrade recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
2pulis

210 gyuto workhorse and 240 upgrade recommendation

Post by 2pulis »

Looking for a recommendation for a low cost 210 gyuto that won’t stress me out when friends and family use.

Also looking for a carbon steel replacement for my Richmond SRS15 240 Gyuto. The SRS-15 is a great knife and my first entry into J-knives, but I really like the “feel” and aesthetics of carbon knives.

1)Pro or home cook? Home cook

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)210 and 240 gyuto (see details above)

3) What size knife do you want? 210, 240

4)How much do you want to spend? <$100 for workhorse, up to 250 for 240 performer

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Carbon or carbon clad

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Probably western for workhorse and Japanese for 240

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Kurosaki AS Laser 210 (current go-to), Tetsuhiro 175 AS gyuto, Tanaka Sekiso Damascus 150 Petty (second most-used), Richmond SRS-15 240 gyuto

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?Fair

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Rocker and push/pull mostly

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Decent with Edge pro

Please also add any additional pertinent information:

For 210, considering fujiwara FKH, tojiro shirogami ITK

For 240, really like the looks of Masakage Yuki; any others to consider?
cedarhouse

Re: 210 gyuto workhorse and 240 upgrade recommendation

Post by cedarhouse »

For the 210, the Fujiwara was the first to pop into my head. I've never used their stainless but I owned one of their carbon knives for a while. Good knife.

The most direct competitor to the Fujiwara, in my imagination is the Tojiro DP. Definite worth considering.

The ITK, I think I had a petty and nakiri from this line. They have good bones but I am pretty turned off by the choil shot of the gyuto. I tend to think of these as fun project knives. You don't have much skin in the game but you might end up with a real jewel.

The beater I have around the house is a MAC santoku. Thin, mass produced, decent steel, well priced, and soulless. Might be just what you need ;)

I just perused the site to see what other options are out there, I do not like western handled knives without bolsters but the Takayuki Inox could be intriguing. Takayuki is probably the higherst end maker so far on this list but I have no personal experience.

Upshot, I think the default pick here is the Fujiwara or Tojiro. The MAC is a solid pick too. The Takayuki could be fun.

The Yuki is a solid knife. At first blush I had a few others that I might throw at you, tops is the Kanehiro, though it pushes on your price range, but after reviewing some notes, I'm not sure you need to over extedend yourself for the Kanehiro. Get the Yuki if it speaks to you. Its a good knife.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I was gonna suggest the Fujiwara FKM (which I've gifted, used, and sharpened - all good vibes), and the kanehiro that would slightly push your budget. Cedarhouse covered all the bases though, so I'll just say:
+1 on what he said 😎
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
gladius

Post by gladius »

$135 Kanehide PS60 Gyuto 210mm (Out of stock)
$205 Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240mm

Combined these are within your budget, easy maintenance, easily sharpened and both are great performers.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I was also thinking the Kanehide PS60 gyuto for the 210.
2pulis

Post by 2pulis »

Thanks for the comments; really appreciate the input. I also considered the Kanehide PS60, but really want to stay under $100 for a beater. Any thoughts on Daovua knives? Look very rustic, but how would they compare to the Fujiwara?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

2pulis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm Thanks for the comments; really appreciate the input. I also considered the Kanehide PS60, but really want to stay under $100 for a beater. Any thoughts on Daovua knives? Look very rustic, but how would they compare to the Fujiwara?
I have a petty and it is pretty fun, but they are very different from a knife like a Fujiwara. Much less quality control, and may be more suited to a project knife. Food release (at least on some of them) is outstanding. Here's a thread with a lot more info about Daovua:
http://chefknivestogoforums.com/viewtop ... =2&t=12274
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

2pulis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm Thanks for the comments; really appreciate the input. I also considered the Kanehide PS60, but really want to stay under $100 for a beater. Any thoughts on Daovua knives? Look very rustic, but how would they compare to the Fujiwara?
You know what, I had a 210 Daovua I really really liked - and as Drewski pointed out, food release was surprisingly good!
It could both rock and chop with aplomb, and was generally a delight to use. Not very reactive, either. Beater extraordinaire, really!
You got my vote on that one :ugeek:

p.s
I loaned mine out to a friend, but.... he considered it "gifted" :x
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
2pulis

Post by 2pulis »

Thanks all; your feedback is similar to what I was thinking too. I pulled the trigger on the Fujiwara FKH and the Yuki, but also went after a few Daovuas too (pipeline 165 nakiri, honesuki, and 210 gyuto) just to check them out.
bruin

Post by bruin »

2pulis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm Thanks all; your feedback is similar to what I was thinking too. I pulled the trigger on the Fujiwara FKH and the Yuki, but also went after a few Daovuas too (pipeline 165 nakiri, honesuki, and 210 gyuto) just to check them out.
Wow, give knives! Have fun! Let us know how they work out for you. I’ve used a Yuki 240 a bit and thought it was great.