Field Skillet #10 Seconds

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
stevem627

Field Skillet #10 Seconds

Post by stevem627 »

Recently I was fortunate enough to get a Field #10 cast iron skillet second (looked brand new to me) in a PIF (Pay It Forward) offer from a member here (Nakneker). I promised to do a review and after a little over a month I feel we’ve had enough use to give some comparison.

Our arsenal of skillets (mind you I’m almost 65 so we have had and still have quite a number of skillets) right now includes a Lodge cast iron, a Martha Stewart enameled cast iron, the Field #10 cast iron skillet, a Mauviel 9.5 inch black carbon steel, Matfer Bourgeat black steel Paella, Blanc Creatives 11 inch Heritage skillet, an All-clad 12 inch tri clad, a Cooks Standard 11 inch tri clad 4 quart saute, a couple of T-fal non stick, and a Santa Barbara Forge large roaster. I feel we’ve tried everything and still have a lot to choose from to compare.

My opinion of the Field skillet is that for cast iron it’s a fantastic choice. The construction quality is everything you would want from a boutique cast iron skillet. It is considerably less weight than most cast iron and performs just as well. We’ve tried bacon, steaks, pizza, cornbread, pork chops, fish, sautéed pepper and onions with sausages, eggs of several preparations and all were perfect. Seasoning was very easy and quickly progressed. We liked the handle a lot since it is shorter and makes putting the skillet in the oven easier. We preferred the skillet over the Lodge based on better performance, lighter weight and better overall appearance. If cost is a concern the Lodge is unparalleled in value. I don’t think many people on this forum are looking for inexpensive solutions as much as performance and aesthetics. Field has the performance down, but aesthetically it’s nice looking but just a cast iron skillet. Once I dug into looking at cast iron I found that older cast iron was essentially quite similar in styling and weight to the Field. I think the biggest advantage Field has in this choice (especially now) is that it’s an off the shelf high-quality solution easily acquired. My wife and I will enjoy doing some antique and thrift store shopping once times get back to somewhat normal to find some vintage cast iron. Cast iron has a place in the kitchen repertoire. We have found the enameled cast iron skillet only somewhat redundant to the cast iron brassiere and not necessarily as easy to handle and store so it’s relegated to storage for the most part. The Lodge will still be great for when we have people over (whenever that happens again…) and we want two pizzas or a lot of corn bread, but it will be relegated to the storage area.

There are reasons for most all the different types of pans we have. I don’t want to be too verbose and bore anyone but if anyone is curious enough or doesn’t know why someone would want so many type of skillets I can expand on my thoughts. Our top choices in order are Tri clad steel pan (I don’t think All-Clad is necessarily the only choice when considering price but it’s not REAL expensive), Santa Barbara Forge large carbon steel roaster (fabulous performance, size, and BEAUTIFUL eye appeal) , Field cast iron, Blanc Creatives skillet (beautiful and super tossing skillet with low sides – no longer made they replaced their styling with something that to me looks like a nicer version of a Made In) a mass produced type carbon steel pan (I don’t think the brand makes a lot of difference in the quality carbon steel – I’d like to try Made In actually).
Sorry if this is too long but, like many people, I have way too much time on my hands currently.

Thanks so much again to Nakneker for doing this PIF which really boosted my morale during difficult times.
Last edited by stevem627 on Fri May 01, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gastro gnome

Re: Field Skillet #10 Seconds

Post by gastro gnome »

Happy to see this review Steve. As you may have been able to tell due to all my replies in the other thread, I am into cast iron/carbon steel and fond of the Field in particular.

I don't think your pan choices seem excessive. My list is probably even longer! Just the cast iron/carbon steel consists of:

Matfer Bourgeat 8.5
Matfer Bourgeat 10.25
Paderno 10.25
Darto 9.5
Wagner #8
Field 10
Lodge 12"
Field 12

I should give away the Paderno and I don't use the Matfer Bourgeat 8.5 much anymore. I could probably just get by with one large and one small pan, but they are fun.

Anyway, glad to hear that you are getting good use out of the Field. I think it's a really good product.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Nice review Steve! It sounds like your putting it to use, I hope it provides a life time of use for you. I really enjoy my Fields, they rank high in my kitchen, such a solid product and a great company.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
gladius

Post by gladius »

I gave away my Lodge #10 and replaced it with the Field #10 which should arrive Friday. Is the seasoning good enough or does it need more?
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I think the combination of the smooth finish and the seasoning makes it likely good enough to cook with out of the box. But I season all new pieces in the oven a few times before use so I can't speak to actually trying this.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Good review Steve - BTW I'm 75 and I now have a full set of Field Skillets some of which I use every day.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Enjoyed the review! Not too long by any stretch.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gladius wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 am I gave away my Lodge #10 and replaced it with the Field #10 which should arrive Friday. Is the seasoning good enough or does it need more?
I have four fields, they come with a couple coats of their seasoning but each one needed more to really get where they need to be. I would plan on seating it a bit more. I think you’ll enjoy it though, They are wonderful skillets!
gladius

Post by gladius »

nakneker wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:02 pm I have four fields, they come with a couple coats of their seasoning but each one needed more to really get where they need to be. I would plan on seating it a bit more. I think you’ll enjoy it though, They are wonderful skillets!

—-
Thanks. I seasoned it once before frying onions yesterday per recommendation. I like it so far and despite reduced weight, conducts and retains heat well. I caramelized onions again today. I am already planning on getting a #6. :D
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I didn't have to do much other than use a butter/avocado oil mixture in the pan for first uses. It was close to ready to go out of the box, but, seasoning is always a moving target depending on what you put it a pan. Other than non-stick pans, I always add some sort of quality oil and/or butter.

I can totally attest to the fact these are probably as good as a cast iron pan can be and its going to make me search some thrift stores for older cast iron now that I now know are slick and light. If you don't want to shop a lot of stores, just go with a Field and be done with your search. The pricing is good and like all cast iron they will last FOREVER if you don't do anything stupid with them.

It's funny but every time my family is over for holiday visits (like Sunday dinner this week with my quarantined daughter visiting) they "help out" and do things that make me cringe. She took a T-Fal non stick pan and used it to saute some asparagus. (I don't ever use a non-stick pan BTW). I get chided by my family because I have exact pans and knives I use for specific tasks or products, and I have verbalized my reasons while they are helping out. Being adult children, they HATE for me to tell them to not use the pan or knife they choose and always suggesting something different. They say I'm too particular. My issue with her using the T-Fal is that she cleaned it up while still pretty hot and rinsed it with COLD water -- but I just bit my tongue since they are cheapish pans.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

. They say I'm too particular. My issue with her using the T-Fal is that she cleaned it up while still pretty hot and rinsed it with COLD water -- but I just bit my tongue since they are cheapish pans.
[/quote]

I feel your pain. I had a 240 Anyru get severely misused. I was nice and explained that my knives and my pans on the left side of the kitchen are no touchy. I keep a dozen knives for general use on the right side and everything they would ever need.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

nakneker wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:54 pm . They say I'm too particular. My issue with her using the T-Fal is that she cleaned it up while still pretty hot and rinsed it with COLD water -- but I just bit my tongue since they are cheapish pans.
I feel your pain. I had a 240 Anyru get severely misused. I was nice and explained that my knives and my pans on the left side of the kitchen are no touchy. I keep a dozen knives for general use on the right side and everything they would ever need.
[/quote]

I don’t worry so much with my cast iron and cabin steel pans. If they let se their seasoning it’s pretty easy to reseason them.

My good knives I’ve put in a special drawer ( no touchy-feely) on these knives.

I have a bunch of really short R2 and other stainless in the knife block.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.