Kohetsu Togatta HAP40 Vs Makoto Sakura sg2 240 Gyutos

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
JimInRocks

Kohetsu Togatta HAP40 Vs Makoto Sakura sg2 240 Gyutos

Post by JimInRocks »

1)Pro or home cook? Apprentice chef and avid home cook

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want? 240mm

4)How much do you want to spend? $250 usd max

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Prefer stainless

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Definitely wa handle

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Hitohira AS Santoku, Sakai Jikko R2 petty, Shiro Kamo 210, and many more 😂

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Chopper and push pull

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes but still learning and practicing so I am no master sharpener

Hey everyone, I have just got my apprenticeship as a chef in a fine dining restaurant, I have a small collection of knives already but want to get a Gyuto dedicated for work, as I am yet to have a laser I decided that is the route I would take, as I am getting a beater knife as well (DaoVua Kiri cleaver, looks awesome and cheap!).
Now after many many many hours of sitting on the website researching and thinking, I have concluded I want a semi stainless/stainless blade, 240mm in length (I have a 300 Gyuto and two 210’s for home use) with a Wa handle, good edge retention, not after a super fine edge, I need it too last, and finally, most importantly, I need it to have a significant flat section, I am almost exclusively a push pull and chopper, I simply hate rocking (I can’t do it well) but I am getting the Kiri cleaver, with a big belly, to suit that purpose if I say, have a bunch of herbs to process.

I am irrefutably stuck between the Makoto Sakura sg2, with it’s tall profile and elegant aesthetics, and the Kohetsu Togatta HAP40, with its fine tip and very good steel.
If people want to throw another knife into the mix they believe is close if not better for around the same price of $330 AUD (from Australia) please let me know! I am leaning towards the Makoto because I am more comfortable with a tall blade, but everyone rants about the KS profile.... please help!😂😭
cwillett

Re: Kohetsu Togatta HAP40 Vs Makoto Sakura sg2 240 Gyutos

Post by cwillett »

I used the 210mm version of the Makoto for a year and a half. I never really liked it. It cut ok. Fit and finish were not good. Edge retention was about on par with quality white #2. The laser kanji looked cheap. The choil hurt my fingers during longer sessions. I eventually gave it away as a Christmas present. I’d look at something else, but I think people around here generally like the knife.
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

Okay fair enough, thanks mate I am hearing mixed things about it....
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I like kohetsu stuff very much - have many of their blades. They seem to be geared towards performance rather than aesthetics, and the handles are pretty cheap (I've had some of mine re-handled - Bensbites made them into great kitchen units), but they are very good in a professional setting and would be great knives for home use as well
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have the SG2 from the passaround a few years ago. The stock handle is fine, but I rehandled it because that’s what I do.

I really like the knife, I am grabbing my custom reground cheaper knives.

The dao knives are fun, but the kiri needs serious thinning.
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

Was going to get re handled no matter how good the handle is, so glad to hear it’s not crash hot so I have an excuse if I get it :lol:
Glad to hear some people have good experiences, I looked at the passaround thread and it seemed pretty split, is HAP40 really that much better than the SG2/R2?
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

Where about is the Kiri balanced may I ask? Thinking about thinning and adding a heavier handle to bring it to a pinch grip balance
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

JimInRocks wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 am Where about is the Kiri balanced may I ask? Thinking about thinning and adding a heavier handle to bring it to a pinch grip balance
It’s a very blade heavy knife. I love it. If you look at my Instagram @bensbites you can find lots of photos.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Here is a good knife for you. Good stainless steel, in your price range, mono steel construction, cuts great and has a nice stabilized walnut handle. It's a great work knife: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapswahagy24.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:03 am
JimInRocks wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 am Where about is the Kiri balanced may I ask? Thinking about thinning and adding a heavier handle to bring it to a pinch grip balance
It’s a very blade heavy knife. I love it. If you look at my Instagram @bensbites you can find lots of photos.
Looks like great work mate you have another follower! Good to see someone using the Kiri as I want to!
How is the Edge retention on your SG2?
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 pm Here is a good knife for you. Good stainless steel, in your price range, mono steel construction, cuts great and has a nice stabilized walnut handle. It's a great work knife: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapswahagy24.html
That does look pretty good, I appreciate the price difference greatly and it seems to have a good profile, are the others worth that $100 more I wonder?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

cwillett wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:17 am I used the 210mm version of the Makoto for a year and a half. I never really liked it. It cut ok. Fit and finish were not good. Edge retention was about on par with quality white #2. The laser kanji looked cheap. The choil hurt my fingers during longer sessions. I eventually gave it away as a Christmas present. I’d look at something else, but I think people around here generally like the knife.
You describing your experience with the Makoto W#2 and he is asking about the Sakura SG2, two totally different knives.

I think the "KS" profile is overrated but Hap40 steel does have amazing edge retention. SG2/R2 steel will have much better edge retention than the Gin5 in the PS60 that Mark suggested. Working in a pro environment edge retention will matter in the end, unless you like to sharpen a lot.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm
cwillett wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:17 am I used the 210mm version of the Makoto for a year and a half. I never really liked it. It cut ok. Fit and finish were not good. Edge retention was about on par with quality white #2. The laser kanji looked cheap. The choil hurt my fingers during longer sessions. I eventually gave it away as a Christmas present. I’d look at something else, but I think people around here generally like the knife.
You describing your experience with the Makoto W#2 and he is asking about the Sakura SG2, two totally different knives.

I think the "KS" profile is overrated but Hap40 steel does have amazing edge retention. SG2/R2 steel will have much better edge retention than the Gin5 in the PS60 that Mark suggested. Working in a pro environment edge retention will matter in the end, unless you like to sharpen a lot.
I don’t mind sharpening just don’t have the love for it yet, need to get more practice in. So it seems like the extra money does count then.... I prefer the profile of the Makoto, and maybe it’s just the KS fanboys have blown the Togatta out of proportion
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I'm not a pro, but I feel like this thread is just screaming for the standard Kohetsu HAP40
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy24.html
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Drewski wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm I'm not a pro, but I feel like this thread is just screaming for the standard Kohetsu HAP40
Love mine - at home and at my "learning" job. One of the few knives I've ever had that can do a dozen boxes of veg and not need even a stropping.
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

Drewski wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 pm I'm not a pro, but I feel like this thread is just screaming for the standard Kohetsu HAP40
Look it seems pretty amazing on paper, I like the Togatta over the normal profile for the flatter edge which suits my cutting style, what is the point of the upswept handle?
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

It looks like most people recommend the Kohetsu HAP40 so that may be my pick, I will give it a bit longer to see if any one else has other knives or points to suggest
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm You describing your experience with the Makoto W#2 and he is asking about the Sakura SG2, two totally different knives.

Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I was describing my experience with the 210mm SG2 Makoto. I compared its edge retention to the edge retention of a great white #2 knife that I have and found them to be about the same.
JimInRocks

Post by JimInRocks »

cwillett wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:49 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm You describing your experience with the Makoto W#2 and he is asking about the Sakura SG2, two totally different knives.

Sorry my post wasn't more clear. I was describing my experience with the 210mm SG2 Makoto. I compared its edge retention to the edge retention of a great white #2 knife that I have and found them to be about the same.
Oh that’s okay, well I think you all have persuaded me to the Kohetsu, I don’t need a pretty knife, I just need a great one and this seems to be it :D thanks for your help guys, great source of knowledge here
delmar

Post by delmar »

Pretty knives attract 5 finger discounts in workplace. Unless you are 100% sold.in security of your tools, subdued and subtle are good aesthetic attributes for a knife at the job.

Sounds like Kohetsu HAP40 for the win. Good choice.