Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
nakneker

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by nakneker »

Blu skillets. I learned of them a couple years ago thanks to Cynthia, aka LaVieestBelle here, one of the nicest and most helpful people I’ve met. Anyways, she raves about them so I set out to get a set, took almost two years but I have a complete set now, over kill but I like it. I also bought 7 seven inch gratins for individual cornbread dishes at family meal time. We built a new house this year and it’s just about time to start using these and the fields. Thanks again C for your help, can’t thank you enough! I also had some help from several friends getting this done, really difficult to get. If you click on the pictures the right theirselves.
26BA0D1D-2CDD-4476-B2E4-470F2C38F0CE.jpeg
1957488C-1EA6-45B7-97F8-0D8DA6D3EED5.jpeg
610EDC0D-8265-47FD-B05E-CD59EF497543.jpeg
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow! Thats an amazing set! They all look brand new.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Now THAT is a set! :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:59 pm Wow! Thats an amazing set! They all look brand new.
I’ve been amassing the set over the last two years in anticipation of building a new house that would have the room for these and my cast iron. Well we finally moved in last month and I also finished off the set yesterday. Gonna season them a bit more and put them into service.
Last edited by nakneker on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

nakneker wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 pm Blu skillets.
Yowzas! Gorgeous collection. Let us know how you like the high handles after some use. I'll get one of these some day. It'll be interesting in a year to hear what you have to say about most useful styles and sizes. Congrats on the house and pans!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:22 pm Now THAT is a set! :ugeek:
Who is Sean trying to kid? That's at least two sets.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Lol I take full blame. Sean and I enable each other like there’s no tomorrow!

These are my absolute favorite carbon steel pans. The 10” never leaves the stove top. The high set handles are noticeable but for me not a problem at all. Rather like them.

Drewski....just get one.

Sean, happy cooking.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Drewski wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:46 pm
nakneker wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 pm Blu skillets.
Yowzas! Gorgeous collection. Let us know how you like the high handles after some use. I'll get one of these some day. It'll be interesting in a year to hear what you have to say about most useful styles and sizes. Congrats on the house and pans!
Thank you. I’m curious to see which ones get used the most too. I did break in the 13 inch gratin and a 10 inch skillet today, the house isn’t as busy as it use to be with the kids grown but we will have all seven home for Christmas and half them are hitched so it’ll be opportunity to cook and enjoy these. I’m already rethinking having one of each, I’ll probably cut about half of those loose with time.
LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:18 pm Lol I take full blame. Sean and I enable each other like there’s no tomorrow!

So true but we have fun even with my dyslexia we still get it done! Seattle 2020!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Cutuu wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:49 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:22 pm Now THAT is a set! :ugeek:
Who is Sean trying to kid? That's at least two sets.
:lol: :lol:
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Nakneker I’m quite envious of that arsenal. It must have taken A LOT of work to get all those regardless of the investment.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

stevem627 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:30 pm Nakneker I’m quite envious of that arsenal. It must have taken A LOT of work to get all those regardless of the investment.
It was hard to do. I’m lucky that I had a son who could attend the local sale. I had some success on the online sale but when 600 pieces sell out in less than 5 minutes it’s tough and those sales don’t come around but a couple times a year. We’re finally starting to use some but to be honest I can see me selling half of those the coming year. I get caught up in the hunt, it’s a bad habit. Thanks for the good words!
Daniel-J

Post by Daniel-J »

I have a problem finding a small and comfortable wok frying pan. My wife sent these reviews today, says the options are good. I don't know much about these things. Will they work well in quality?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Daniel-J wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 am I have a problem finding a small and comfortable wok frying pan. My wife sent these reviews today, says the options are good. I don't know much about these things. Will they work well in quality?
I'd go with that Mauviel carbon #1 on the list. That should work great.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:58 am
Daniel-J wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 am I have a problem finding a small and comfortable wok frying pan. My wife sent these reviews today, says the options are good. I don't know much about these things. Will they work well in quality?
I'd go with that Mauviel carbon #1 on the list. That should work great.
Curious why. At 3mm thick it is going to be more heavy than a traditional wok. I like woks light and thin so I can toss food easier.
Last edited by Kalaeb on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

The recommendation might depend on if you have a gas, electric flat top, coil, or induction range.
MagneticStorm

Post by MagneticStorm »

I stumbled across this discussion a few weeks ago and immediately wanted a carbon steel pan. But $300?!!! $200?!! For just one pan?! I searched through Etsy and came across someone that is hand hammering carbon steel skillets in Utah. His prices are $90-$125 with shipping included and he hammers them on a log, old school style. I just got mine today and it has a ton of character!! Came preseasoned and ready to cook.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/772670095/ ... ed-2&frs=1
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

MagneticStorm wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 pm I stumbled across this discussion a few weeks ago and immediately wanted a carbon steel pan. But $300?!!! $200?!! For just one pan?! I searched through Etsy and came across someone that is hand hammering carbon steel skillets in Utah. His prices are $90-$125 with shipping included and he hammers them on a log, old school style. I just got mine today and it has a ton of character!! Came preseasoned and ready to cook.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/772670095/ ... ed-2&frs=1
Very cool! How flat do these sit?
MagneticStorm

Post by MagneticStorm »

These have a continuous subtle curve, almost like a skillet/wok hybrid. I think it might take a machine hammer to make a perfectly flat bottom the way cast iron has. You could say that it has about 6" of flat on the 12" skillet
bruin

Post by bruin »

MagneticStorm wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:04 pm These have a continuous subtle curve, almost like a skillet/wok hybrid. I think it might take a machine hammer to make a perfectly flat bottom the way cast iron has. You could say that it has about 6" of flat on the 12" skillet
Sounds like it’s be great for sautéing... I might have to pick one of these up. Thanks for the posts
MagneticStorm

Post by MagneticStorm »

It's great for sautéing. It deglazed beautifully. It's stunning to look at and feels like using a piece of art when you're cooking. I'm talking to him about making me a 13.5" pan with helper handle.

This is what he wrote me about the 12" pan:

The center of the pan is a little thicker than the edges because I start with a 12" by 1/8th" thick plate and hand hammer it from center to edge and then as I do the dishing I focus on the edges which thin out a bit. The wooden stump ensures that I'm dishing it without expanding it to much but also makes it so that the plate is 13" wide when I start dishing. The pans are a bit lighter that way and the taper gives the pan more structure

I preseason every pan so that you can cook right out of the box. I use a peanut free olive or coconut oil to ensure that no one with an allergy goes into shock.