Welcome Chris!

Chris Meikrantz (cjmeik) lives in Augusta, GA and does Knife Improvements - Specializing in kitchen cutlery, using traditional techniques. Makeitsharper@gmail.com

https://www.instagram.com/makeitsharper/

Moderator: cjmeik

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Welcome Chris!

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Good luck with the sharpening business Chris! There's plenty of dull knives out in the world that need help. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
lsboogy

Re: Welcome Chris!

Post by lsboogy »

Thank you Chris - I am getting into this stuff more and more.

Chris thinned a knife for me recently, and at first I thought I wanted a bit more. He told me it was a good carrot cutter and my gosh was he right. I did cabbage and carrots for slaw for a large function yesterday using a Richmond Ultimatum AEBL knife that I was getting disappointed with until Chris got ahold of it. The more I use it the more I like it. I am beginning to understand grind now - have ultra thin (many Kikuichi's and others that are less than 2mm but do not have the old Sabatier profile I love), and I had purchased this knife as a first from Mark. Profile is wonderful, but I started getting more into a few Kohetsu'
S I got off the site and they have been my go to knives for a while. I had relegated the Ultimatum to a camping knife (we eat and cook like kings camping - and it's one of the few stainless knives I own), but after his work this thing is going to be my hard veg knife for a while - he has taken a wonderful knife that did not do what I wanted it to and turned it into one that will be in the kit all the time.

I told him I need to figure out how to communicate with him, as I am a good home cook but certainly not a professional, and we are learning. What he did with this knife is amazing. He's got another, and will have several more for me - difference in performance is stunning.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Best of luck in your endeavor Chris.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The skill is definitely there Chris, hope it all goes well!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cjmeik

Post by cjmeik »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:11 pm Good luck with the sharpening business Chris! There's plenty of dull knives out in the world that need help. :)
Thanks, Mark! And thanks for providing such valuable platform for us to share our interest in knives. This forum has been instrumental in me getting to this point with my sharpening and I couldn't be more grateful.

I just returned back to reality after a week in Hatteras and am looking forward to getting some content populated here in the next few weeks.
lsboogy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:11 pm Thank you Chris - I am getting into this stuff more and more.

Chris thinned a knife for me recently, and at first I thought I wanted a bit more. He told me it was a good carrot cutter and my gosh was he right. I did cabbage and carrots for slaw for a large function yesterday using a Richmond Ultimatum AEBL knife that I was getting disappointed with until Chris got ahold of it. The more I use it the more I like it. I am beginning to understand grind now - have ultra thin (many Kikuichi's and others that are less than 2mm but do not have the old Sabatier profile I love), and I had purchased this knife as a first from Mark. Profile is wonderful, but I started getting more into a few Kohetsu'
S I got off the site and they have been my go to knives for a while. I had relegated the Ultimatum to a camping knife (we eat and cook like kings camping - and it's one of the few stainless knives I own), but after his work this thing is going to be my hard veg knife for a while - he has taken a wonderful knife that did not do what I wanted it to and turned it into one that will be in the kit all the time.

I told him I need to figure out how to communicate with him, as I am a good home cook but certainly not a professional, and we are learning. What he did with this knife is amazing. He's got another, and will have several more for me - difference in performance is stunning.
Wow, thanks for the kind words, Andrew. I thought it was pretty sporty when I sent it off to you and I'm really glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks also for being so trusting and easy to work with. Sometimes the knife needs to tell you what to do and I am grateful that you give me the creative license to just "make it happen."
snipes wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:11 am Best of luck in your endeavor Chris.
Thanks, snipes!
Jeff B wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm The skill is definitely there Chris, hope it all goes well!
Thanks, Jeff! I've said it before but I'll say it again: your advice has played a valuable role in progressing my sharpening to where it is today. Thank you!