Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
XexoX

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by XexoX »

Phunguyen18 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:06 am Hi Guys,

Just founded this forum after doing some intensive research k. Carbon steel pan. After all the research, I am close to pulling the trigger to get the SB Forged...

Should I start off with their 11 inch medium size skillet or go all out and just get one of there full set?

I really like the Blanc creative handles, but since they started to hand spun their pan, I just look to finished for me. Can anyone offer review on the Blu skillet or Blanc Creative with SB forged?

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. Wish I could help, but I don't have any of the pans you are asking about.

Best of luck.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
flowerpower0186

Post by flowerpower0186 »

I want this "farmhouse" carbon skillet so bad I can't stand it. I especially love the handle.

https://smithey.com/collections/carbon- ... se-skillet
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

flowerpower0186 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:05 am I want this "farmhouse" carbon skillet so bad I can't stand it. I especially love the handle.

Wow that's gorgeous! Might have to talk the wife into getting me one too.
snipes

Post by snipes »

flowerpower0186 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:05 am I want this "farmhouse" carbon skillet so bad I can't stand it. I especially love the handle.

I'm really struggling to understand the value here. I'm all for paying a premium for a premium product that provides a better experience, but something marketed as a farmhouse tool and then charging almost $300 for it is head scratching to me. Is the value in that cooks better? Will last longer? Better materials? Or is it because it's pretty and probably hard to get? I'm generally interested in the value proposition here to those who covet one of these particular pans?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

snipes wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:19 am

I'm really struggling to understand the value here. I'm all for paying a premium for a premium product that provides a better experience, but something marketed as a farmhouse tool and then charging almost $300 for it is head scratching to me. Is the value in that cooks better? Will last longer? Better materials? Or is it because it's pretty and probably hard to get? I'm generally interested in the value proposition here to those who covet one of these particular pans?
I've a sense that it's the handmade aspect of these pans. You can put a name of an individual on it, or of a small team. There's more... Soul(?) In such a product (?)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

The same can be said for pretty anything. Do these perform 4 times better than a Debuyer... probably not. In addition to their cost being higher, you are buying an emotional response and supporting small craftsman.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Good question, but its similar to Damascus on knives or custom handles, window dressing...To me its a looker with some personality. Sitting on my stove or hanging from the wall its going to look good no matter what. And will the food I make in it taste better? maybe a bit just because of the experience. It is worth over $200 more than my mass produced Matfer? no. But everyone likes to splurge once in awhile for something nice!
snipes

Post by snipes »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Good question, but its similar to Damascus on knives or custom handles, window dressing...To me its a looker with some personality. Sitting on my stove or hanging from the wall its going to look good no matter what. And will the food I make in it taste better? maybe a bit just because of the experience. It is worth over $200 more than my mass produced Matfer? no. But everyone likes to splurge once in awhile for something nice!
Bob,
The Damascus comparison is a good one. I hadn't thought about it that way. I certainly enjoy a premium knife and can justify why it costs more...I also don't own any Damascus blades so my biases are reconfirmed. Not ready to lump in the custom handles though. :)
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

If someone is looking at a handcrafted / forged pan its for the aestetics of the product in these cases of carbon steel. We have mass produced carbon steel and they are tools. The pieces hand made by these craftsmen are what I'd describe as functional art. They are inspiring and beautiful to look at. If you are interested in value the craft made carbon steel isn't something to buy.
Banzai_Burrito

Post by Banzai_Burrito »

gastro gnome wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 am I've had a good experience with my Darto pan thus far. Seems more nonstick than my small Matfer in its current state (although that pan has not given me a many problems). The scratch on the cooking surface that I discovered upon arrival has not impacted performance.

Darto had a liquidation sale for seconds yesterday and almost everything sold quickly. The 27 cm pan is the only one still left. They refer to it as a 2nd because they inadvertently made this one 4 mm thick on the bottom instead of 3. They won't be making a pan with this thickness again. They also recently raised their prices which are now pretty much on par with Solidtecnik. If I was looking to buy another one-piece construction pan in this price range, I'd probably go with Solidtecnik given the fact that it is more likely to come with proper packaging (at least a plastic bag around the pan) and would probably have better (or at least English-speaking) customer service.

All that being said, the early results have been good with the pan I received.
Just a heads-up, Darto is selling the 4mm thick pan now. Its on their site as a pre sale at the moment