Straight razor for shaving

Post your shave related topics here.
Enievi

Straight razor for shaving

Post by Enievi »

I'm thinking of buying for a straight (cut throat) razor . It has the advantage that provided you take care of it will last for years and won't need replacing like standard cartridge razor blades. And there's something intriguingly Edwardian in style about it. By all accounts it proves a good shave, although I have to admit the thought of using to for the first time seems a bit intimidating! So if anyone has tried a straight razor is it worthwhile? Although in the long run it's cheaper, a cheap one still csts about $80. Thanks.
Altadan

Re: Straight razor for shaving

Post by Altadan »

Have you factored in the stones' prices, too? And the Japanese natural ones you will likely want to try... Hahaha

I haven't tried it (I keep a beard), bit if I'd get into it, it would be for reasons similar to my jknives... And not because I had an actual "need," rather, just a strong "want" 😎😂
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yes, yes, yes. I love straight razor shaving, took a little time for me to learn. But it feels so natural now. Also, I bought multiple ones all same style, so I could probably sell you one pretty cheap, if interested.
SSuchan

Post by SSuchan »

Enievi wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:59 pm I'm thinking of buying for a straight (cut throat) razor . It has the advantage that provided you take care of it will last for years and won't need replacing like standard cartridge razor blades. And there's something intriguingly Edwardian in style about it. By all accounts it proves a good shave, although I have to admit the thought of using to for the first time seems a bit intimidating! So if anyone has tried a straight razor is it worthwhile? Although in the long run it's cheaper, a cheap one still csts about $80. Thanks.
I have been using a straight razor for about 30 years. I found the 'lift and cut' system employed by most cartridge razor systems really irritated my skin. This is because they generally pull the hair up and then cut it. When the hair is released it is actually retreats below the surface of your skin. When it grows back it can cause a lot of bumps and irritation (bumps are particularly problematic of your facial hair grows in curly). I also found the cartridges getting way expensive.

One thing I will tell you for sure about the straight razor shaving is that if you think wading through the sea of conflicting information is tough in the knife world is hard or confusing it is much worse in the straight razor world. Some of the information regarding honing is borderline voodoo. People have progressions that involve multiple synthetics, naturals, compounds and different leathers. Such excess is unnecessary. I don’t claim that it is not possible to get a ‘next level’ shave from that kind of stuff but it is nowhere near that complicated to get a close, comfortable shave.

Regarding the razor I would stick with a standard 5/8 round point razor from a reputable company. This is usually Boker or Dovo for beginners. I am not sure about your price point, but sales are frequent. Avoid any used razors or restoration projects at first. If you are planning on sticking with it the cost of sending it out for sharpening can quickly outpace what you will have to spend on stones. Nevertheless, I would recommend getting the store you buy from to do your first honing (factory razors don’t usually come fully honed).

The cost of stones will depend on what you already have for knives. For setting a bevel I usually go through a progression of 1,2,4, & 8k (you could easily skip the 2k) but once that bevel is set, I never have to go back beyond 4k for refreshing the edge and the 4k is usually when the edge is pretty far gone. This is a personal preference, but I like Shapton glass for that purpose. They are extremely consistent in particle size, wear slowly and cut fast. Again, personal choice. There are many stones that can do the same job. It is possible to shave right from the 8k but most people usually use what they refer to as a ‘finisher’ to give them that extra bit of sharpness and smoothness. Many people use expensive naturals, but many also use synthetics. The Naniwa 10k or 12k (12k generally preferred) is a popular synthetic. I have gone through a lot of natural stones. For sure some of them provide a very keen yet smooth edge but for all the buying and selling I’ve done I’ve done to get there I wouldn’t recommend it. The number of pros who use the Naniwa 10k as a finisher before sending razors to clients is a testament to that.

After that you need a basic strop for cleaning up and realigning you edge pre-shave. There is a basic choice between a hanging, paddle or bench-type strops that feature a galaxy of different leathers. They usually come with a rougher secondary component. Linen, cotton, synthetic webbing, etc. I have 50$ strops and 300$ strops. Nice to have but in a blind test I’d only be guessing as to which is which. They all do the same job.

Beyond that there are numerous compounds, and sprays containing everything from polishing compounds to diamonds particles ground down to the fractions of microns. They can be helpful is providing a smoother shave and prolonging an edge between honing sessions, but they are unnecessary for a good shave.

Brushes and creams have also been made overly complicated. People wax poetic about creating lather and things like how much cushion a certain soap or cream gives. Bottom line even the most basic of these items are fine for shaving.

In conclusion it doesn’t have to be complicated or lavishly expensive. If you go about building your kit wisely, you’ll only have to purchase most items once and over time your average daily cost per a shave will be well below disposables. Even with my buying and selling and owning multiple versions of the same product I'm very likely still ahead of disposable costs and, I find shaving with a straight much more satisfying. If you ever have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Greetings Tony and welcome to the forum.

You might want to start with a shavette before committing to expensive gear and see if you like it - if you do then proceed from there. Feather makes a nice Kamisori style that is quite nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Japanese ... B0060QYUP4

When the blade gets dull simply replace it.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I had over 30 SR's at one point. I am down to a handful, but never use them. I tried, but switched over to a Merkur Slant 37C razor and Gillette Black Platinum blades and a soap my local barber makes. Awesome combo, much quicker than the Straight and less blood involved and no honing needed!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

gladius wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm Greetings Tony and welcome to the forum.

You might want to start with a shavette before committing to expensive gear and see if you like it - if you do then proceed from there. Feather makes a nice Kamisori style that is quite nice.

Agreed. I have multiple straights, but at the end of the day with three small kids and a busy job I just don't have the time to devote to keeping them honed. A shavette provides a good shave and is substantially cheaper than cartridge shaving.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:28 am
gladius wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm Greetings Tony and welcome to the forum.

Agreed. I have multiple straights, but at the end of the day with three small kids and a busy job I just don't have the time to devote to keeping them honed. A shavette provides a good shave and is substantially cheaper than cartridge shaving.
Once, i started using cbn for honing, it's always been a quick breeze to maintain my straights.