What did you cook today?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ronnie_suburban

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Chappychap wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 pm Tonight was my third run at roasted beet salads, and I was inspired by a recipe I saw in ‘Hugh’s Three Good Things’ for beet, walnut and feta. It was a welcome change from all the wok'ing this last week . . .

. . . Would I make it again? Yes, it's now added to our weeknight meal options list.
Very nice. Looks like fun with the brush technique on the plating. I was getting a lot of beets in my CSA and eventually burned out on them. I started giving them away every week but your salad reminds me of how much I really do like them.

This morning I had some additional time, so instead of the usual (yogurt + cereal), I reheated the end of my 'weekly' pot of beans, as well as the last of some breakfast sausages I cooked over the weekend. Topped it with a couple of eggs . . .

Plated Up
White beans and eggs (and a jalapeno from the bean pot) with breakfast sausage. Garnished with parsley and cotija.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 pm
Chappychap wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 pm Tonight was my third run at roasted beet salads, and I was inspired by a recipe I saw in ‘Hugh’s Three Good Things’ for beet, walnut and feta. It was a welcome change from all the wok'ing this last week . . .

. . . Would I make it again? Yes, it's now added to our weeknight meal options list.
Very nice. Looks like fun with the brush technique on the plating. I was getting a lot of beets in my CSA and eventually burned out on them. I started giving them away every week but your salad reminds me of how much I really do like them.

This morning I had some additional time, so instead of the usual (yogurt + cereal), I reheated the end of my 'weekly' pot of beans, as well as the last of some breakfast sausages I cooked over the weekend. Topped it with a couple of eggs . . .

Plated Up
White beans and eggs (and a jalapeno from the bean pot) with breakfast sausage. Garnished with parsley and cotija.
That looks remarkably close to an English breakfast... you've inspired me to get the sausage, bacon, egg, Heinz and fried toast on at the weekend. So wrong but so right.

Bibimbap for lunch today. Gotta love practicing katsuramaki whilst on a conference call, whilst actively participating in the dialogue :lol:. The Kurosaki Raijin 240 does a great job of that. Hope the person that chipped theirs gets out back to a condition they're happy with.
2B77D789-AF94-4BE8-8AD7-D5EE70A915EF.jpeg
ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:33 pm That looks remarkably close to an English breakfast... you've inspired me to get the sausage, bacon, egg, Heinz and fried toast on at the weekend. So wrong but so right.
Yes, exactly! A few years ago, when I first wondered can I do this?, I realized that precedent had long been set. Not that this concoction is an exact analog for English Breakfast but beans and eggs (alone or accompanied) is a really satisfying combination that fills me up but doesn't bog me down. As much as I love it, if I threw some toast into the mix, I'd be dozing off within an hour.
Chappychap wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:33 pm Bibimbap for lunch today. Gotta love practicing katsuramaki whilst on a conference call, whilst actively participating in the dialogue :lol:
The bibimbap looks really tasty. And lol, you're a company man! A rep at our company's bank still teases me about the time I was making a pot of soup during a training call. Hey, if you want to talk after 5pm, something's gotta give! :D
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Minestrone time again! Mr Watanabe was hired for this dinner.
[URLtarget][/URLtarget]
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:19 pm As much as I love it, if I threw some toast into the mix, I'd be dozing off within an hour.
Isn't that half the fun???
ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:19 pm The bibimbap looks really tasty. And lol, you're a company man! A rep at our company's bank still teases me about the time I was making a pot of soup during a training call. Hey, if you want to talk after 5pm, something's gotta give! :D
Thanks Ronnie. And I completely agree... if meetings are booked within the lunch window, don't be shocked if I'm cooking or eating. :lol:
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm Minestrone time again! Mr Watanabe was hired for this dinner.
[URLtarget][/URLtarget]
I hear such great things about that Watanabe nakiri. Looks like you're putting it to use well. Nice rangiri cut on the carrots.
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:44 pm Minestrone time again! Mr Watanabe was hired for this dinner.
Nice, Bob! Love that nakiri, too.

Not the greatest planning over here but a roundabout route to more eggs for dinner tonight. Because good versions are getting trickier and trickier to find, I decided make my own egg foo young. I did some poking around on the internet and using information from a few different sources, put together a plan. Considering it was my first attempt, it went pretty well. First things first, I decided to make the sauce . . . :?

Sauce Mise En Place
Salt, flour, corn starch (ended up not using it), msg, granulated sugar, homemade chicken stock, toasted sesame oil, dark soy sauce, vegetable oil, onions & garlic and white pepper. After the onions and garlic brown in the oil, the flour is added to create a roux. After that, everything else gets added. When it gets to the desired thickness, the sauce is strained. I decided to hold off adding the corn starch and I'm glad I did because the flour was enough to thicken the sauce and I ended up not needing it at all.

Next up, prepping for the EFY . . .

Mung Bean Sprouts
This is about two pounds, roughly cut up with the spatula. Other than some scallions, these are the only vegetables I used. I briefly considered adding some thinly sliced cabbage and may do that next time.

Blanching
Per one youtube video I watched, I blanched the sprouts in my wok for about 3 minutes, after which I drained them and pressed them dry pretty vigorously in a colander. At that point, they had softened a bit but were still plenty crunchy.

Char Siu BBQ Pork
Decided last night to take some of the leftover char siu sauce I made a few months ago and sous vide some chunks of pork shoulder in it (19 hours @ 145F). When it was done, I let it cool off, then grilled it over lump charcoal for about 15 minutes on the indirect side of a two-stage fire.

EFY Mise En Place
Shrimp, char siu bbq pork, toasted sesame oil, vegetable oil, mung bean sprouts, granulated sugar, msg, white pepper, eggs, scallions, flour and salt. Needless to say (and not surprisingly) many of the ingredients in the sauce also appear in the egg foo young.

Char Siu BBQ Pork & Konosuke HD Petty, 210mm
Cubing the pork during the prep. This is a fun knife and somewhat of a strange one, given its length and overall profile.

EFY Batter
All in. I ended up using 6 of the eggs, and adding a bit more flour along the way.

Wok-Frying The Patties
I gently placed the patties in the oil (~350F) using a 1/2-cup ladle to curl them out. It worked out pretty well, though they were not exactly uniform from patty to patty.

EFY Draining
6 eggs, 2 pounds of bean sprouts, a cup of diced char siu bbq and 8 shrimp yielded 10.75 patties.

Plated Up
With Zojirushi'd jasmine rice and leftover cabbage. Garnished with scallion tops and homemade chili oil, per my friend Gary Wiviott's recipe. The one thing I'd be sure to do differently next time is be even more aggressive -- both with the seasonings and the scallions in the patties. Even so, these were really good. I'll admit I had 3 of them. :oops:
=R=
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Super cool dish Ronnie I've often seen those on menus and confess I'd not gotten around to trying them. Will have to next time. Interesting to see the approach with the pork, with SV followed by grill. I can imagine the meat was very tender.

Mrs. Chappy wanted to cook tonight so unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to this thread :lol:. Instead I spent the energy reorganising my pantry cupboard. I've acquired so many random ingredients that it was a little chaotic and I was forgetting what I had, and so not using things. Now, sections are organised into sources of salt, sweet, acid, and oils/thickeners/canned goods. I never thought I was an OCD type of guy, but the facts on the ground are starting to make me question that assessment. On the plus side I also managed to free up space to make the Matfer chinous more accessible, which was on my to do list after the curries and purees recently. So I'll take that as progress, even if I didn't get to practice.
ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm Super cool dish Ronnie I've often seen those on menus and confess I'd not gotten around to trying them. Will have to next time. Interesting to see the approach with the pork, with SV followed by grill. I can imagine the meat was very tender.
It's a guilty pleasure and not something I ever really thought of as "authentic," whatever that word actually means. But even a cursory search of youtube suggests that is very much is. In any case, 10 months in and I'm barely making a dent in my homecooking bucket list. I really do enjoy a good version and since they're getting harder to find, I figured why not give it a shot?

I've made char siu bbq pork a couple of times since the pandemic started. Both times, I followed paths provided by Chinese Cooking Demystified (one of my favorite youtube channels). The first was lengthy, highly detailed and required a multitude of ingredients. The second was essentially a pantry version and was super easy. This time it was kind of a combination and it worked well (and plenty leftover that didn't go into the efy, which will make the family happy).

I like using sous vide for char siu because I believe that charcoal-grilled pork shoulder works best for the dish but that's a difficult needle to thread. Typical grilling time would leave the meat "done" but very chewy. Otoh, sous vide allows the meat to be tender -- but still sliceable and not falling into shreds -- while also imparting a charcoal-grilled flavor. And by virtue of the process itself, no marination is necessary, since it's effectively achieved during the time in the circulator.
Chappychap wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm Mrs. Chappy wanted to cook tonight so unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to this thread :lol:. Instead I spent the energy reorganising my pantry cupboard. I've acquired so many random ingredients that it was a little chaotic and I was forgetting what I had, and so not using things. Now, sections are organised into sources of salt, sweet, acid, and oils/thickeners/canned goods. I never thought I was an OCD type of guy, but the facts on the ground are starting to make me question that assessment. On the plus side I also managed to free up space to make the Matfer chinous more accessible, which was on my to do list after the curries and purees recently. So I'll take that as progress, even if I didn't get to practice.
At least you put the time to productive use and set yourself up for some nice future cooks. That has to feel good. I'll definitely be taking tomorrow night off, as we have Week 2 of our 3-week supper club subscription from a local restaurant group. We did a 4-week subscription with them back in November/December that was pretty good. On the nights I don't cook, it definitely feels strange, even a bit disorienting. Yet somehow, I think I'll survive it. :lol:
=R=
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:22 am At least you put the time to productive use and set yourself up for some nice future cooks. That has to feel good. I'll definitely be taking tomorrow night off, as we have Week 2 of our 3-week supper club subscription from a local restaurant group. We did a 4-week subscription with them back in November/December that was pretty good. On the nights I don't cook, it definitely feels strange, even a bit disorienting. Yet somehow, I think I'll survive it. :lol:
Yeah, my thinking is that by grouping these ingredients together by category (salty, sweet, stocks, etc), it'll be easier to get creative. E.g. I need to add salt to a dish; instead of grabbing the same soy or fish sauce out of convenience/muscle memory, being confronted with an organised set of options will remind me to experiment with all the ingredients I buy and then try to figure out a use for. That's the hope anyway!

I know what you mean on the nights without cooking feeling weird too. Tonight is takeout night and whilst I'm good to go along with that (missus enjoys it), I kinda just want to cook. I'll just cook Oyakodon at lunch instead.

Also as an aside, I saw something last night that I'm thinking of trying. Might be of interest to folks here too, as we were talking about demi glace a while ago. Adam Ragusea has formulated a quick Demi glace that actually looks like it may make sense. Worth a watch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WLUMS7Ung
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

...and Oyakodon it was for lunch today. Raijin 240.

Sugar, soy sauce, mirin, dashi, sake seasoning with onions and spring onions:
E876A06F-8EBD-46B9-8AB3-042578B346DF.jpeg
Cook the seasoning, onions and chicken together before brewing up a half beaten egg, and hey presto! Parent and child (Oyakodon) rice.
B385A048-3F03-4AB0-8A37-894B1D485536.jpeg
Topped with my new shichimi togarashi:
2559C0CB-1FB3-4AEA-9743-3723E83FFD82.jpeg
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Chappychap, I use shichimi on LOTS of things. It's fantastic on our pizzas and I keep it on the table in a shaker to use as my "pepper" - love the stuff.

The shoyu looks great, but get rid of the cooking sake and look for a cheap sake at a decent liquor store.

So as to not waste posts in this thread...you are correct Ronnie. The Junmai Ginjo fits the bill fine. I just saw the "cooking" sake and I didn't even look past is and the VERY good Shoyu. ;)
Last edited by stevem627 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

stevem627 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:12 pm Chappychap, I use shichimi on LOTS of things. It's fantastic on our pizzas and I keep it on the table in a shaker to use as my "pepper" - love the stuff.

The shoyu looks great, but get rid of the cooking sake and look for a cheap sake at a decent liquor store.
Thanks for the tip on the sake... any recommendations on brand?
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I certainly don't profess to be any type of sake expert (bourbon is another matter) but we use HAKUTSURU JUNMAI SAKE that we get from TotalWine. Cooking wines are generally not worth getting and aren't a lot less expensive. "If you won't drink it don't use it" is the general idea.
ronnie_suburban

stevem627 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:12 pm Chappychap, I use shichimi on LOTS of things. It's fantastic on our pizzas and I keep it on the table in a shaker to use as my "pepper" - love the stuff.

He's got the carton of junmai ginjo right there. That should be more than adequate, even for drinking, let alone cooking, no?

Nice looking lunch there btw, Chappy. I hope you were on a work call while you prepped it! :D
=R=
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm

He's got the carton of junmai ginjo right there. That should be more than adequate, even for drinking, let alone cooking, no?

Nice looking lunch there btw, Chappy. I hope you were on a work call while you prepped it! :D

Ahh I think you were taking about my mirin Steve. Haven't quite managed to crack buying great mirin yet but I saw this and thought 'at least it's not aji mirin' and bought it. It just says cooking sake in the right side of the label. It's this one

https://www.gourmetfoodworld.com/kikkom ... sake-11708

On the actual sake, thanks for the tip. This is Kuromatsu-Hakushika - Sake Junmai Ginjo, but I've tried the Hakutsuru - Superior Junmai Ginjo and I thought it was good, at least for my uneducated palate. Must get it again for cooking with!

And Ronnie, no calls today :lol:. Honestly being able to cook whilst on calls is one of my favourite unexpected time savers from this crazy period -- I'm eating better and practicing a skill that gives me energy, when I'd otherwise be stuck in an office cafeteria eating rubbish food. Big win.
ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:30 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Ahh I think you were taking about my mirin Steve. Haven't quite managed to crack buying great mirin yet but I saw this and thought 'at least it's not aji mirin' and bought it. It just says cooking sake in the right side of the label. It's this one
Good mirin has been difficult for me to locate. Even at Mitsuwa Marketplace, the "best" I found there contained corn syrup and dextrose. The best I've been able to do is find a few brands that contain only rice, koji and yeast (no syrups or additional sweeteners). About to try the Eden, which I haven't opened yet. Ingredient list is solid (Water, Rice, Koji (Aspergillus Oryzae), Sea Salt), so that's a plus. We shall see.
=R=
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:41 pm About to try the Eden, which I haven't opened yet. Ingredient list is solid (Water, Rice, Koji (Aspergillus Oryzae), Sea Salt), so that's a plus. We shall see.
Saw your message and couldn't help but laugh at the similarity in pantry ingredients again.
1768D93F-9BFA-4135-852B-027461DDECAA.jpeg
Joking aside though the Eden is pretty good. I find that brand to be solid generally. I just got the other mirin because I found it in a random Japanese boutique and my on the spot research indicated it may be worth trying. The Kikkoman one has sake in it so I believe it's a slightly different type of mirin (type 2. here I believe https://www.justonecookbook.com/mirin/). Haven't done a head to head yet. Next I think I may be able to source the real deal at a Japanese supermarket in the area I just discovered. Just got to get through two bottles of Eden and Kikkoman before I can justify going :lol:
ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 pm Saw your message and couldn't help but laugh at the similarity in pantry ingredients again.

Joking aside though the Eden is pretty good. I find that brand to be solid generally. I just got the other mirin because I found it in a random Japanese boutique and my on the spot research indicated it may be worth trying. The Kikkoman one has sake in it so I believe it's a slightly different type of mirin (type 2. here I believe https://www.justonecookbook.com/mirin/). Haven't done a head to head yet. Next I think I may be able to source the real deal at a Japanese supermarket in the area I just discovered. Just got to get through two bottles of Eden and Kikkoman before I can justify going :lol:
It's getting to the point when it's more surprising if one of us doesn't have something than if both of us do! :D

I was thrilled when I found the the last bottle of Takara mirin at Mitsuwa, which is the Japanese market in our area. So, thrilled that I didn't bother to read the label -- and didn't discover until I got home with it that it contains multiple sweeteners and is made in California (even though the label has Japanese characters). :o Still, it was a lot less sweet and cloying than the ubiquitous Kikkoman mirin. And unlike the Eden, it does actually contain alcohol (sake). In any case, I'm looking forward to cooking with the Eden in the near future.
=R=
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:52 pm
Chappychap wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 pm Saw your message and couldn't help but laugh at the similarity in pantry ingredients again.

It's getting to the point when it's more surprising if one of us doesn't have something than if both of us do! :D

I was thrilled when I found the the last bottle of Takara mirin at Mitsuwa, which is the Japanese market in our area. So, thrilled that I didn't bother to read the label -- and didn't discover until I got home with it that it contains multiple sweeteners and is made in California (even though the label has Japanese characters). :o Still, it was a lot less sweet and cloying than the ubiquitous Kikkoman mirin. And unlike the Eden, it does actually contain alcohol (sake). In any case, I'm looking forward to cooking with the Eden in the near future.
I think you'll like the Eden. My only reservation previously has been the price. But unless I find my unicorn at the Japanese supermarket, it'll be the one I go back to.

Related note on Japanese cooking, has anyone here true cooking with a donabe? I've used it to make dolsot bibimbap but that's as far as I've adventures. Just starting to realise that it is capable of so much more.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to- ... ur-donabe/

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ ... eramic-pot