What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

mauichef wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm More pickles!

Now I have the bread and pickles down, I just need to figure out cheesemaking!
Clearly, it's time to invest in a cow! :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm
mauichef wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm More pickles!

Now I have the bread and pickles down, I just need to figure out cheesemaking!
Clearly, it's time to invest in a cow! :lol:
I was thinking about a goat actually. A light green '67 8-)
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I prefer '65 vintage Goats myself. I prefer the square grill look. Just my OG opinion. whatever - it's got to have a 389 with triplits, or it don't count.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Mike9 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:30 pm

I prefer '65 vintage Goats myself. I prefer the square grill look. Just my OG opinion. whatever - it's got to have a 389 with triplits, or it don't count.
Yes I agree. Not sure why I said a 67. I know the wife wants a square grill :D
Tri pack.....no other way !
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

20200915_195513~2.jpg
Seared Scallops and Corn Soup with Sunflower Microgreens and Bourbon Smoked Chili Powder.

A friend of mine has gotten into farming microgreens and my brother brought the bourbon smoked chili powder as part of a housewarming gift when he visited last weekend.

This is a good example of needing a wider shallower bowl in my opinion. They were large scallops but I still could only put so much soup in and still have the scallops be the center piece.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Ok,I love bread and butter pickles, can someone post a link or recipeto their fav ones?
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm Ok,I love bread and butter pickles, can someone post a link or recipeto their fav ones?
Seconding this request. I will take pics moving forward so I can contribute. Just recently I've gotten into lacto fermenting pickles (cucumbers) which is a gateway to all kinds of awesome pickled produce such as kimchi etc.
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm Ok,I love bread and butter pickles, can someone post a link or recipeto their fav ones?
Email sent.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Paul282 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 pm 20200915_195513~2.jpg

Seared Scallops and Corn Soup with Sunflower Microgreens and Bourbon Smoked Chili Powder.

A friend of mine has gotten into farming microgreens and my brother brought the bourbon smoked chili powder as part of a housewarming gift when he visited last weekend.

This is a good example of needing a wider shallower bowl in my opinion. They were large scallops but I still could only put so much soup in and still have the scallops be the center piece.
This dish looks delicious. I think if you search for soup bowls, you'll find what you're looking for. In my experience, they tend to be wider and lower than other bowls.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

It looks like circumstances have lined up for a few days of eating leftovers, though I suppose that could change. So, not much cooking this week which, I hope, will be kind of nice. In the meantime, even though they're not technically "done," I checked in on the batch of bread and butters that I started on 8/29. Ms. Ziedrich says to let them go at least 21 days. Even though today is only Day 19, since they were just sitting in the fridge, I decided to try them out and I'm very pleased with the results (so far) . . .

Bread & Butters, Day 19

Great flavor, not overly sweet, and great snap and crunchiness. These are the Bread And Butters My Way from The Joy of Pickling, a recipe (and book) that I highly recommend. The hot red peppers I added worked out very well. They imparted a touch of spiciness into the entire batch and gave up enough of their heat that they are extremely pleasant to eat on their own.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Enjoying our leftover leg of lamb . . .

Leg Of Lamb Sandwiches
Thinly-sliced legmeat, toasted sub roll, tsatziki-esque sauce, homemade okonomiyaki sauce (a leftover from way back), crumbed feta, red onion, lamb gravy, olive oil & red wine vinegar-dressed iceberg lettuce.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 pm
bruin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm Looks great! Cured fish can be hell on an edge, I’ve had edges maybe too keen to start dull after one side.
I think a more skilled knifesman would have done way better with it than I did. It stubbed a bit but the fish just wasn't as inherently fatty as other king salmon I've had in the past, so there was some built-in resistance. Next time I slice some up, I'm going to try using a thin and flexible boning knife.
I thought that last fish, as wonderful as it was, was only a 7/10. No doubt, it was a fine specimen. The piece of it I cooked -- the portion that wouldn't fit in the curing vessel -- was tremendous. But at the end of the entire process, I wasn't entirely happy with the cold-smoked portion of that side. Yes, it was really tasty but it lacked the fattiness and unctuousness (sorry :lol:) that are signature traits of the best batches I've made in the past. While we quickly and happily snarfed down the rather large portion we didn't give away, the shortcomings gnawed at me. I had to take another shot, and I needed better starting stock.

I called a connected friend who was able to hook me up with this . . .

Ora King Salmon & Makoto AS Ryusei Gyuto, 210mm
You can clearly see the striations of fattiness running throughout the fish. This seemed ideal. Following my usual recipe and method (detailed somewhere upthread), I cured the fish for a scant 24 hours, pressing it with just a couple of pounds (not the brick), after which I rinsed it and dried it before cold-smoking it. This time, I took extra precaution with the smoking, 8 feet of extra precaution, to be exact . . .

Revamped Cold-Smoking Rig
As much duct tape as I've unrolled in my life, never was there a more precisely targeted application for it as this. :D I figured that adding extra distance between the fire and the fish could only improve things. I'm not sure it had much impact (smoke during every previous session has been cool to the touch), but it was nice not having to monitor the fluctuations in the fire's intensity or continually make adjustments during the process. Not that this is ever 'set it and forget it,' but the process wasn't quite the razor's edge that it has been in the past. In the end, I think the apple wood produced a gentle smoke for about 4 hours after which I retrieved the fish, vacuum-sealed it and stowed it away in the fridge.

Earlier this week, after 6 months and 1 day, I finally entered a store for the first time. I donned an N95 mask and stopped in for some bagels at one of our better local spots. Then, I headed home to make a lunch of the Ora . . .

Cold-Smoked Salmon on Sesame Bagel with Homegrown Tomato, etc.
As I've always said, the finished product can only be as good as the fish you start with allows. This fish was spectacular and I'm happy to report that I didn't f*ck it up. As for the slicing, I didn't break out a serious knife for this but the texture and fattiness of the fish made all the difference. I used a very old but freshly sharpened Henckels boning knife and it went through the fish seemingly without friction.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

In honor of the US Open, it was a 'right down the middle of the fairway' steakhouse-style dinner tonight . . .

Shallots & Konosuke HD Petty, ebony, 120mm
. . . And miles to go before I sleep. Both planned side dishes contain shallots, plus thanks to our CSA farm, we're long on them.

Mushrooms & Saji G3 Ginsan Nakiri, 165mm
Brand new nakiri, which I'm trying out right now. I'm determined to get familiar with this type of blade, which is one I use very rarely.

Shallot Flambe'!
Hot times over at Chez Suburban! :) Sauteed shallots and Laird's 100 proof apple brandy. I poured the brandy into the pan while it was well away from the burner. Once the bottle was closed up and stowed, I gently tipped the pan over the burner and . . . whooosh! The flames burned for about 30 seconds (or maybe it just seemed that long).

Sauteed Cremini Mushrooms With Flambe'd Shallots
Trying to put at least a little twist on a dish we have a lot around here. Generally, I think the family prefers them the way I usually make them with red, garlic and demiglace but that's not nearly as dramatic. :lol:

Oiled and Seasoned NY Strips
More closely trimmed than I would have liked but very nicely marbled.

NY Strips Grilling
About 30 seconds over the coals on each side (twice) to mark them and then over to the indirect side, covered, until they were finished. I pulled these when the center steak reached 110F.

NY Strips, Grilled
Ready for their 10-12 minute rest.

Potatoes Romanov
Baked, chilled and grated russet potatoes, grated sharp white cheddar, sour cream, minced shallots (raw), salt, black, white and cayenne pepper. Garnished with chives and a touch more cayenne. The core ingredients are all fluffed together using two forks, then baked, to mimic the interior of a twice-baked potato. I'd never made these before but I will definitely be making them again. They were delicious and truly a crowd pleaser.

Plated Up
NY Strip, potatoes Romanov, and sauteed mushrooms with flambe'd shallots.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

More great additions to the "Ronnie Cooked Again" thread! :geek: :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:27 pm More great additions to the "Ronnie Cooked Again" thread! :geek: :D
I think it needs to be re-titled as that ;)
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

mauichef wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:27 pm More great additions to the "Ronnie Cooked Again" thread! :geek: :D
I think it needs to be re-titled as that ;)
Actually it should be "Ronnie and Ray, cooking again" because you post here a lot as well. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Nah! Ronnie pushes out some serious grub every day. Damn, that man cooks!!!!! Plus I love the blow by blow.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Here's our Friday Tour de France breakfast .....

Spicy Fried Polenta with Crispy Prosciutto, Creamed Spinach, Tomatoes and Poached Eggs.

ronnie_suburban

mauichef wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:58 pm Here's our Friday Tour de France breakfast .....

Spicy Fried Polenta with Crispy Prosciutto, Creamed Spinach, Tomatoes and Poached Eggs.

Talk about a breakfast of champions! So nice, I needed to see it twice. That looks great, Ray. :)

I took a rare night off on Friday, as our socially-distanced backyard happy hour ran into what would have otherwise been cooking time. So, it was some middle-of-the-road delivery for dinner. For lunch, it was the last of the leftover egg rolls and a bit more of the cold-smoked Ora king salmon . . .

Cold-Smoked Salmon & Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Sujihiki, 270mm, Ebony
As it turns out, the Kono could easily handle the smoked and cured fish. Who knew?! :P

For a multitude of reasons, it was great having people over, including that I was able to send them home with some of the fish.
=R=
Renvers

Post by Renvers »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:17 am As it turns out, the Kono could easily handle the smoked and cured fish. Who knew?! :P
Nice. Is that the OOTB edge or did you touch up?