What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jeremyl

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by jeremyl »

Drewski wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Bob Z wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 pm This one is for you Jeff B! Flour water salt yeast dough made into pizza, with too many toppings but thats how i like it!
This is my iteration from the FWSY book. San marzano tomatoes, mozza, basil (salami on the uncooked one). With less toppings the dough really puffs up.
Very nicely done. May I ask your method (and which dough?). I did the levain pizza dough with Shepherds Grain low-gluten flour. Baked on a thick
cordelite stone at 550F. Stone was preheated and flashed under broiler. 5min bake + 3min broil. I've been doing much more bread and only did pizza a couple times. First time was same recipe but I didn't have my stone yet (just got it yesterday for $5 on OfferUp) so I did a cast iron. Felt I liked the dough better that time (tho it was older dough - maybe 3 days in the fridge that time).

My friend got a 1/4" steel and is getting a very nice char. I'd like to get the rise you are getting. My wife was very happy with this one but I wanted more rise and char. First pic is on the stone yesterday. Second is cast iron a couple weeks ago (with morels I foraged).
pizza2.jpg
pizza1.jpg
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:17 pm Ronnie I'm getting fat just looking at your pictures....
Yep.. Now I'm gonna get fat and go broke. Thanks CKTG.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

jeremyl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am
Jeff B wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:17 pm Ronnie I'm getting fat just looking at your pictures....
Nice looking pizzas, Jeremy. I've got serious morel envy!
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

jeremyl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:07 am
Drewski wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Bob Z wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 pm This one is for you Jeff B! Flour water salt yeast dough made into pizza, with too many toppings but thats how i like it!
This is my iteration from the FWSY book. San marzano tomatoes, mozza, basil (salami on the uncooked one). With less toppings the dough really puffs up.
Very nicely done. May I ask your method (and which dough?). I did the levain pizza dough with Shepherds Grain low-gluten flour. Baked on a thick
cordelite stone at 550F. Stone was preheated and flashed under broiler. 5min bake + 3min broil. I've been doing much more bread and only did pizza a couple times. First time was same recipe but I didn't have my stone yet (just got it yesterday for $5 on OfferUp) so I did a cast iron. Felt I liked the dough better that time (tho it was older dough - maybe 3 days in the fridge that time).

My friend got a 1/4" steel and is getting a very nice char. I'd like to get the rise you are getting. My wife was very happy with this one but I wanted more rise and char. First pic is on the stone yesterday. Second is cast iron a couple weeks ago (with morels I foraged).
I followed the recipe for "Saturday Pizza Dough" or "Same Day Straight Pizza Dough" (if memory serves, don't have the FWSY book infront of me) to a tee. It was one of the first recipes in the pizza dough chapter, and was one that is started in the morning and baked later on the same day. I'm usually a "lots of toppings" guy, but with this, it was nice to savour the amazing flavour of the crust.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I find that 1-2 day old dough tastes and works best for pizza, and no rolling pin!!!!
This video has some good ideas on how to work the dough etc. If you want more rise, make a smaller pizza or thicker dough. I like new york style thin crust but make a thicker crust for my wife...
Also have a steel baking stone but think im going back to a stone one because they are a bit larger and lighter.

There are several other doughs made here at the page you can ck out.
https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-vide ... za-at-home

pIzza for my wife with more crust (my attempt at white sauce veggie supreme round table pizza)
Attachments
IMG_0570.JPG
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

jeremyl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:08 am
Welcome to our FUN house! :)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I had to go grab a beer looking at all these pizza's! We need a Pizza & Beer thread. 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Meat +3 over at Chez Suburban last night . . .

NY Strip Steaks
From Zier's in Wilmette, IL. Dave Zier is truly a beef rockstar.

Grilling Indirect
Very hot fire and enormous steaks. So, after I marked them over the coals for a few seconds on each side, I cooked them indirect (covered) for quite a while, probably around 13 minutes . . . until they reached about 115 F.

Meat +3
Grilled Asparagus, Tomato-Shallot Salad and finally, the last of the leftover spanakopita (huzzah!). Long ago I vowed I'd never eat June tomatoes ever again because, at least around here, they're fibrous, watery and flavorless. But we received a bunch of them in our CSA box and I couldn't let them go to waste. I did my best with these but the result wasn't great.

The Pay-Off
These delicious steaks were so huge that the three of us ended up eating about one and half, total. A good portion of the leftovers were deployed in sandwiches earlier today.
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Dam F the pizza, im going to get steak tomorrow!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie, you're killing me dude! Where do you live, I'm moving in. 8-)
turko

Post by turko »

Crispy Baked Pasta With Mushrooms, Sausage, and Parmesan Cream Sauce
(https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html)

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love one dish meals like that.
turko

Post by turko »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:43 pm Love one dish meals like that.
Had to boil the pasta in another one, but still this one was quite good. Def recommended.
ronnie_suburban

Took another pass at Chicken Parmesan, this time with much better results . . .

I again used a Santa Barbara Forge Carbon Steel Roaster and some peanut oil. I'm finally getting the hang of this vessel, which is relatively new. I had to resist the temptation to turn the flame up, and be patient while the oil came up to temperature. I think I did pretty well, managing to maintain ~350F through the entire cook.

First up, gratuitous mise + knife shot . . .

Sauce Mise
Sliced garlic, Fresno chili and bacon . . . and a Richmond Artifex 210mm that I bought used from a CKTG forum member. :)

Ten Crispy Thighs
Last time I made an egregious error and used boneless, skinless breast meat, which should be illegal. This time, it was boneless, skinless thighs which, unsurprisingly, worked out much better. They were moist and flavorful. Here, it was a fairly standard dry-wet-dry prep, with seasoned flour, seasoned eggwash and not-seasoned-enough panko bread crumbs.

Fried Eggwash
I can't remember where I learned this but at the end of the frying session, I dumped the unused eggwash into the oil and let it cook up. Delicious!

Plated Up
With roasted broccoli and a sidecar of slaw from a local "bbq" place where the bbq isn't actually bbq (don't get me started) but the slaw is pretty good. Overall, this was a big improvement over last time. If I do it again, I need to season the panko more aggressively. I also need to simplify the sauce a bit. The recipe I followed included bacon. While I love bacon, I thought the smokiness was a distraction in the finished dish. Next time, either no meat or pancetta.
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Ronnie: I usually add some Parmesan (or parm-romano mix) to the panko for my chicken parm, definitely adds some flavor.
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:17 am Ronnie: I usually add some Parmesan (or parm-romano mix) to the panko for my chicken parm, definitely adds some flavor.
Yeah, that's what I typically do (plus add some dried oregano and/or basil) when I make my own breadcrumbs but I neglected to do that here. Next time for sure.
=R=
turko

Post by turko »

Panko crust on the recipe I posted above:
Panko, parmesan, chives, parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt pepper. 👌
ronnie_suburban

turko wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 am Panko crust on the recipe I posted above:
Panko, parmesan, chives, parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt pepper. 👌
Nice. I think for this dish, I'd need mainly dry but I could certainly riff off of that.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

One more pass at mapo tofu. I think I finally have it dialed in . . .

Mapo Tofu w/Ground Pork
=R=
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Finally found a use for one of those all-clad deal buys... One does not simply cook on a 14.5 inch pan 🤗

Shashuka (aka "eggs in purgatory") with (multicolored) Tom's, carrot, and yellow bell pepper
Shashuka
Shashuka
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld