Deep Fryer

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Carter

Deep Fryer

Post by Carter »

I'm looking for recommendations for a home countertop deep fryer. I need it to run on 120V, prefer single basket width (for space concerns), and one that will maintain and retain heat. A cover for the oil would be nice and simplicity/ease of cleaning is a factor, but performance is key.

I have looked at most of the home models on Amazon, anywhere from $30 to $100, and I have looked at some of the restaurant supply houses at stainless units up to about $250...above that, many go to 240V.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Carter
gladius

Re: Deep Fryer

Post by gladius »

On the rare occasion I deep fry, I drop a block of lard in my Griswold Chicken Fryer.

One of these may work for you if you occasionally fry...

Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks G...I have similar cast iron fryer and a Staub 8.5qt oval cocotte that work well, but I am looking for a dedicated fryer.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I figured - you must do quite a bit of frying. Hopefully you are using quality saturated fat that is stable <== for frying...

https://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/
Carter

Post by Carter »

gladius wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:37 pm I figured - you must do quite a bit of frying. Hopefully you are using quality saturated fat that is stable <== for frying...

https://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/
I would like to fry more, but fry better. I can do an ok job on stove top, but would like something that has better temp control and rebounds back to temp quicker. Depending on what I am cooking, I use lard or peanut oil, for most deep frying.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I have a waring pro and it's excellent for the house. It cones with a single basket and dual baskets. It keep cosistent heat excellently. Frying with it is an absolute joy imo. I think its a great value also. I think it was around $70 and maybe i got it on sale or black friday or sonething similiar.
loco_food_guy

Post by loco_food_guy »

Hey Carter,

I have a Waring turkey fryer. Its larger than most of the models out there but not so big that its out of place when I put it on my counter top to cook something. The exact dimensions are 17" w x 17 1/4" h x 20 1/2" d. I am a chef and use this fryer for work successfully all the time. The problem that i have had with MOST models is how quickly they lose heat as soon as even small amounts of food are added and how long they take to climb back up to temp. That is what i absolutely love about this model. It holds so much oil that you really can fry food without fear of the heat dropping by 200 deg instantly. The one drawback this unit has is the magnetic plug that connects to the back of the unit can disconnect easily if the fryer is bumped into or if its plugged in with the cord extended to far out . My solution to this problem is using a small extension cord and I rarely have a problem when I do this. This fryer retails for about $250.
https://www.ginnys.com/turkey-fryer--ro ... n-_-156816
[URLtarget][/URLtarget]
datster

Post by datster »

Carter,
We bought this one a while back, very easy to clean and does a great job of storage with the oil.
https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Filtration ... B00NQ7QFGM
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks for all the recommendations. I ended up going with the one Datster recommended. It got good reviews and the ease of clean up was a compelling reason. When I originally pulled up the link from Datster, Amazon had it listed at $105....I keep the page active on my computer but did nothing....yesterday I took a second look and the page had a countdown timer for a flash sale, the price $60.....bam! pulled the trigger, figured hard to go wrong at that price.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Looks like a good choice Carter
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

After trying a few indoor models, I found them cheaply made, too messy, too small, wasteful of oil, etc. The best option I have found is a portable outdoor propane burner with a large cast iron skillet. It also has enough BTU to really wok/sear.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jason H wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:47 pm After trying a few indoor models, I found them cheaply made, too messy, too small, wasteful of oil, etc. The best option I have found is a portable outdoor propane burner with a large cast iron skillet. It also has enough BTU to really wok/sear.
I have a good outdoor setup and it works well for serious frying, but I am looking for something for the kitchen and that contains/stores the oil. I have lots of shallow and deep cast iron that gets used on the stove or on the big outdoor burner....not sure if this T-fal unit is really what I am looking for or not, but worth the try, since I have never had a dedicated fryer. We are re-doing our kitchen in a year and a built in fryer is a consideration at that point.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Carter wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 am Thanks for all the recommendations. I ended up going with the one Datster recommended. It got good reviews and the ease of clean up was a compelling reason. When I originally pulled up the link from Datster, Amazon had it listed at $105....I keep the page active on my computer but did nothing....yesterday I took a second look and the page had a countdown timer for a flash sale, the price $60.....bam! pulled the trigger, figured hard to go wrong at that price.
I’m looking for one now. How has this unit worked out for you?
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Ut_ron wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 pm
Carter wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 am Thanks for all the recommendations. I ended up going with the one Datster recommended. It got good reviews and the ease of clean up was a compelling reason. When I originally pulled up the link from Datster, Amazon had it listed at $105....I keep the page active on my computer but did nothing....yesterday I took a second look and the page had a countdown timer for a flash sale, the price $60.....bam! pulled the trigger, figured hard to go wrong at that price.
I’m looking for one now. How has this unit worked out for you?
I like it for occasional frying (1-2 times monthly), it works well, is easy to clean and I am generally surprised at the amount of oil recovered at the end of each session (more than I would have thought). I would buy again.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Thanks just what I wanted to hear 😀
Carter

Post by Carter »

Ut_ron wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:58 pm Thanks just what I wanted to hear 😀
This is the unit, grab it:
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Carter wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:18 pm
I have one of these and love it. Definitely agree with how surprised I was with the amount of oil recovered. It's a breeze to clean too.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 am
Carter wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:18 pm
I have one of these and love it. Definitely agree with how surprised I was with the amount of oil recovered. It's a breeze to clean too.
The All-Clad version of this was on sale for under $100 in the last factory seconds sale.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Ah didn’t go through the full list 😞