Tomato Season is on!

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
lsboogy

Tomato Season is on!

Post by lsboogy »

Up here in the tundra, our growing season is relatively short, so many of us (me included) grow a bunch of Heirloom tomatoes to make up for it. I spend some time harvesting today, and Jen took of for Wisconsin to see her parents for a couple days, so I'm basically pigging out on great tomatoes all day and night - went to the store and got some fresh pulled mozz tonight so I can have some Caprese for breakfast (basil is also going crazy). Going to sleep with visions of ??? going through my head.
Bensbites

Re: Tomato Season is on!

Post by Bensbites »

Awesome! The last year we did a big tomato garden, I pulled all the green ones as the planter were dying and made green tomato salsa. I have another friend that suggested cooking the moisture out of the green tomatoes and using them on pizza.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

It's been wonderful. We're having a fantastic season here. Local farmers market's been bringing in some burrata.... A little nice olive oil and some arugala.... Heaven.

In about another 2 weeks it will be my annual sauce weekend! It loses a little in the freezer but it's still better than anything out of a jar or fresh with store bought and when it's fresh there's nothing like it.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

We planted a lot of tomato plants. San Marzanos, heritage, salad, etc. I roast my plumbs with garlic bulbs then peel and run through the food mill. I freeze them flat in bags.