Tao Charcoal Burner

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Drewski

Tao Charcoal Burner

Post by Drewski »

I'm wondering if anyone has used these or has any valid opinions on them. They look really interesting. I do not have a gas range that I can use a wok on, and these seem like a cool option. Already I am thinking it would be a lot of setup for a short time of use.
https://importfood.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=195
Bensbites

Re: Tao Charcoal Burner

Post by Bensbites »

A while back I went deep into research on proper woks. I am sure that will work, but I would start with a charcoal chimney.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am A while back I went deep into research on proper woks. I am sure that will work, but I would start with a charcoal chimney.
Like the thing people use to get the charcoal burning? (I'm a gas grill guy :roll:) Just put a wok on top of the chimney once its going?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Drewski wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:13 am
Bensbites wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 am A while back I went deep into research on proper woks. I am sure that will work, but I would start with a charcoal chimney.
Like the thing people use to get the charcoal burning? (I'm a gas grill guy :roll:) Just put a wok on top of the chimney once its going?
Exactly.

Kenji already did the research and has a better write up than I am capable of.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the ... grill.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

So, no one has used one of these?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Something like a propane fish cooker seems more practical to me.
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

I've never used one but it seems unnecessary and enough of an inconvenience that for most people, after the novelty wear off, it wouldn't get used.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

playingfetch wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm I've never used one but it seems unnecessary and enough of an inconvenience that for most people, after the novelty wear off, it wouldn't get used.
Guessing the charcoal imparts some flavor that other cooking methods or devices wouldn't. But it seems like it'd be a hassle building a fire every time you wanted to use your wok. This is one of those items that you hope a friend buys, so you can borrow it. :D
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

Charcoal imparts flavor when grilling, but I don't know if it would if it was just an open flame heat source under a metal pan. It's an interesting question, though.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
ronnie_suburban

playingfetch wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:00 am Charcoal imparts flavor when grilling, but I don't know if it would if it was just an open flame heat source under a metal pan. It's an interesting question, though.
I've cooked in pots over many campfires and that food is always smoky. I suppose cooking time would affect the level of smokiness. You're not exactly long-cooking in a wok, so that could mitigate the effects.
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:15 pm
playingfetch wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm I've never used one but it seems unnecessary and enough of an inconvenience that for most people, after the novelty wear off, it wouldn't get used.
Guessing the charcoal imparts some flavor that other cooking methods or devices wouldn't. But it seems like it'd be a hassle building a fire every time you wanted to use your wok. This is one of those items that you hope a friend buys, so you can borrow it. :D
Ah, how do you grill then Ronnie? I mean, seems a hassle to fire up that charcoal ever time you want to grill, which seems almost every day with you. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:15 pm
Ah, how do you grill then Ronnie? I mean, seems a hassle to fire up that charcoal ever time you want to grill, which seems almost every day with you. :mrgreen:
LOL, I do love to grill! Normally, I go out back, light a chimney full of lump charcoal and cook. That typically takes 10-20 minutes from loading to the start of cooking, depending on a number of variables. But that's how I've always done it, so I'm accustomed to doing it that way, and to how long it takes. With a wok, I'm used to putting it on the stove and turning a knob. So, adding 10-20 minutes before the actual cook -- plus adding in the outdoor aspect -- wouldn't be a deal-breaker but it would require some getting used to.
=R=
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Sometimes the side burner on a gas grill is a bronze ring and they can really get a wok up to temperature quickly. Look for one someone is throwing out as they hardly ever get much use. You could rig up a foot controller for it like the Chinese restaurants use. And it's already set up for LP.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

I have to get one of these setups for my eggs

ronnie_suburban

I thought this Alex video/scheme was also interesting . . .

=R=
bLoebs

Post by bLoebs »

J Kenzi Lopez Alt / Amazingribs seem to also be fans of that method, fwiw ^ Seems to be a concentrated heat source, not a flavor enhancer (though who knows). If you're done cooking before your charcoal is done you can save it for next time. I always light thee charcoal then go in and prep or YouTube some bbq vids to get me excited. Easy way to pass the time!