Olive Oil Suggestions

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Fredward

Re: Olive Oil Suggestions

Post by Fredward »

salemj wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:05 pm
Fredward wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 am If I’m cooking with it I couldn’t in a million years tell the difference between the cheapest and a pricy import. But that may be a minority opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️
You know, I think the definition of "cooking" here is complicated. I bet you could absolutely tell a difference if you drizzled the oil on top of a hot pizza straight out of the oven as a finishing touch (or perhaps even before it went in), and the same goes for many other dishes where you might finish with an oil used during cooking (not to mention raw things, like hummus, which are often finished with some oil on top but also made with the oil). I guess what I'm saying is that the oil keeps a lot of its fragrance and uniqueness up to a point, but I agree: for longer cooking applications or when the oil isn't a primary flavour, then I think you are actually in the majority, which is why many chefs recommend not even using extra virgin for many cooking applications to begin with! I think most people here are referring to finishing oils, and not higher-heat or longer cooking applications when it comes to the subtle differences.
Yeah that’s exactly what I meant. Thank you for the clarificarion
cliff

Post by cliff »

I tend to use fancy oil for finishing soups and other dishes but usually use oil with a higher smoke point to cook. I'll keep a good one in the fridge for quite awhile and just use a little at a time. I'm working on an Agrumato Extra Virgin pressed with lemons
marcel

Post by marcel »

Can you recommend a quality olive oil dispenser?
Just enjoy my life, people and you.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

marcel wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:43 am Can you recommend a quality olive oil dispenser?
As dark a wine bottle as you can find with one of these works great for me:

Olive Oil Spout for Olive Oil Dispenser - UK Patented Oil Pourer - Mid Flow Shut Off for Accurate Measurement - One Handed Open & Close Cap Keeps Oil Fresh and Prevents Oxidization - Green 2 Pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07X614J38
Attachments
718D4008-6FD5-42D2-B754-84FFE4F22CEF.jpeg
marcel

Post by marcel »

Wow. Thanks! Looks great. I've bought Tablecraft 16 oz Oil & Vinegar Cruet.
Just enjoy my life, people and you.