What did you cook today?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Bob Z

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by Bob Z »

I will prolly never run into those carrots but they look interesting, are they like other carrots or sweet or? would ya buy em?

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Mike9 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:15 pm
Bob Z wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 pm
Looks great I love a good chowder also! What are the quarters or maybe they are nickels for? keep the burners level?
I have a 30+ yr. old 12" aluminum commercial skillet that is wonky so I use coins for shims under the grate - either I'm sentimental, or just a cheap bastard. :lol:

That is I'm guessing a 40+ yr. old Southbend range. I bought it in 1997 and to this day I have never had to buy a part for it. I paid $800 for the range and the commercial hood and it was already set up for LP. Not too shabby 8-)
Truly lust worthy! Nice one Mike!

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Sous Vide Porchetta.

XexoX

Post by XexoX »

mauichef wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:36 pm
Sous Vide Porchetta.

Yum! Good to see you posting, you were kinda AWOL for a bit.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.

ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Bob Z wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 pm
I will prolly never run into those carrots but they look interesting, are they like other carrots or sweet or? would ya buy em?
As far as I could discern, other than their shape, they were pretty much like the other carrots we get via the CSA. Certainly more aroma than grocery store carrots but overall, their cute appearance was their most distinctive attribute.
mauichef wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:36 pm
Sous Vide Porchetta.
Beautiful, Ray!
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That's a gourmet meal at my house Ronnie. :)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

ronnie_suburban

Once again, my pesky day job and some other unavoidable nonsense had me away from the kitchen during what is typically my prime dinner prep window. But because I foresee some carry-out coming up over the weekend, I felt like I needed to cook something tonight. The result: tonight's dinner was the wurst! :P

Plated Up
Charcoal-grilled sausages (hot Italian, mild cured/smoked pork), Mrs. Suburban's household-renowned roasted cauliflower and homemade coleslaw.
=R=

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 pm
The result: tonight's dinner was the wurst! :P
But hey, who's bitte.

Looks like great meal.

gladius

Post by gladius »

A head of cabbage called out to me today wanting to volunteer for a slaw
so I obliged (hey if dead people can express their opnions then why can't cabbage heads talk). I selected my "Toy" which I haven't used in a bit, and a "wow" moment followed. I touched it up on a fine Aoto and Tsushima stone and the Toyama fell though product with authority. The length and forward weight made slicing cabbage effortless. Lasers are nice but so are big boys like my "Toy".

The slaw paired well with a roast beef and cheddar on sourdough and Bubbies pickles.

Last edited by gladius on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

gladius wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:03 pm
A head of cabbage called out to me today wanting to volunteer for a slaw
so I obliged (hey if dead people can vote then why can't cabbage heads talk). I selected my "Toy" which I haven't used in a bit, and a "wow" moment followed. I touched it up on a fine Aoto and Tsushima stone and the Toyama fell though product with authority. The length and forward weight made slicing cabbage effortless. Lasers are nice but so are big boys like my "Toy".

The slaw paired well with a roast beef and cheddar on sourdough and Bubbies pickles.

No politics please Gladius. This is not the right forum for that and it's one of the things I like about it.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html

jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Thanks Mark - There is enough turmoil in the country right now!

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Panang curry with some chicken legs I needed to use up tonight. Helped by my Toyama 180 nakiri - the previous post reminded me that I hadn't used mine in a while either.

As I eat this I realise I'm starting to be a fan of sous viding the meat before hand; it frees me up to do other things but more importantly it's fall off the bone tender but the time I mix it in with the curry to meld briefly before serving. Tonight I added a step to pat the legs dry then briefly fry them to crisp them up and add browning; think that made a difference too.

Now if only I hadn't made this curry way hotter than I can handle *sweats* :lol:
Attachments
7D568593-E5C0-400E-9ADD-8BCA749CBDE0.jpeg
8AD10CE8-5579-49D3-8243-252FCA60CFCF.jpeg

ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:21 pm
Panang curry with some chicken legs I needed to use up tonight. Helped by my Toyama 180 nakiri - the previous post reminded me that I hadn't used mine in a while either.

As I eat this I realise I'm starting to be a fan of sous viding the meat before hand; it frees me up to do other things but more importantly it's fall off the bone tender but the time I mix it in with the curry to meld briefly before serving. Tonight I added a step to pat the legs dry then briefly fry them to crisp them up and add browning; think that made a difference too.

Now if only I hadn't made this curry way hotter than I can handle *sweats* :lol:
Love the sous vide >> frying sequencing/technique you describe. Makes really good sense. I'm sorry if I missed it earlier but can you please share your penang recipe? The fact that it's that hot has really piqued my interest. Thanks!
=R=

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Yeah the only thing I had to contend with re: sous vide is that I don't think I dried the chicken well enough before frying, because it spat like a crazy person. Ended up needing to use a splatter guard to protect my eyesight! Oops.

Recipe is here: https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/panang-curry-paste/

ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 pm
Yeah the only thing I had to contend with re: sous vide is that I don't think I dried the chicken well enough before frying, because it spat like a crazy person. Ended up needing to use a splatter guard to protect my eyesight! Oops.

Recipe is here: https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/panang-curry-paste/
Ah, Pailin. I like her recipes and her youtube channel, too. I have something planned for sometime in the next few days that I saw on her channel. Thanks!
=R=

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I didn't feel like pizza after planting garlic so I made as simple of a meal as I cold think of. I had thawed out a package of home made Italian sausage so I browned them off in a little evoo. When they were cooked I added minced onion, garlic and parsley to the pan along with some anchovy oil and 4-5 anchovy fillets. I had two egg whites from making mayo the other day so I added grated cheese and pasta water to that to temper then added that to the pan before adding the el dente pasta to finish. Topped with fried breadcrumbs it was pretty freakin' good.

ronnie_suburban

Thought it might be carry-out tonight but that kind of fell through, so another on-the-fly, quickie dinner. Had some green beans on hand and wanted to do something a bit different, so into the pantry I went . . .

Thai Pantry Items
In addition to a couple of freshly smashed cloves of garlic, I used a small glob of the sour tom yum paste and a big glob of the sweeter chili paste. Hard sear the green beans in peanut oil, add the garlic, then a bit of water, turn down the heat and cover until they just about reach the desired softness. Once there, uncover, crank the heat back up, add the pastes, stir to combine and reduce until thick.

Plated Up
Charcoal-grilled chicken thighs, "Thai" tender-crisp green beans and more of the never-ending homemade coleslaw. I really hope those two thighs weren't from the same bird! :P
Last edited by ronnie_suburban on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
=R=

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
...I really hope those two thighs weren't from the same bird! :P
You call that meal "Crippled Chicken"? :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

So after a lazy week my mini challenge to myself tonight was:

A) Don't order takeout again for heaven's sake
B) Use up the last remaining fresh produce in the fridge (red peppers and olives)
C) Apply the Japanese principles of Washoku that I've been reading about to a non-Japanese meal (link: https://kbjanderson.com/washoku-the-harmony-of-food/)

With the help of my Yu Kurosaki Reijin 240, I ended up making mortadella balanzoni with butter, sage and hazlenuts, with balsamic melted peppers, chilli and olive bruschetta:
65321B4A-AB7C-4E4C-AAB4-56EBA503D850.jpeg
C4807DFE-D075-4C2F-91F5-D0772B4FE8D1.jpeg
60A3C59A-18E5-420C-8A7A-9005969B7C89.jpeg
Write up of Washoku challenge:
1) Five colours: managed to get red, yellow, green, black in. White too if you count the bread (or plate :lol:)
2) Five preparation techniques: managed to get four in (fryed brown butter sage sauce, toasted bread, sweated peppers/olives, boiled pasta). If you count 'raw' then I think we can squeeze in parmesan and honey, so five.
3) Five flavours: between the dishes/looking across the meal, hit salty, sweet, sour and spicy (balsamic peppers also had some chilli). Not sure I hit bitter.
4) Senses: managed to get a variety of textures in there, crunchy, soft, chewy, mainly, tried to up my game with the presentation for visual sense.
5) Seasonality: complete fail on sourcing the freshest ingredients from the local area. But sage is kinda autumnal/winter-ey, right? And the MOST local ingredients surely are the ones you need to use up right there in your kitchen, right?? :lol:

Joking aside, turns out applying the Washoku principles to non-Japanese meals is a pretty fun challenge for anyone looking to mix things up a bit and challenge themselves.

Dishes from Evan Funke (balanzoni - but add honey!) and The Tuscan Sun Cookbook (bruschetta).

ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:17 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm
...I really hope those two thighs weren't from the same bird! :P
You call that meal "Crippled Chicken"? :P
Well, at the very least chicken with a limp. 8-)

Chappychap wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:37 pm
Joking aside, turns out applying the Washoku principles to non-Japanese meals is a pretty fun challenge for anyone looking to mix things up a bit and challenge themselves.
Your meal looks great. The Washoku principles are fascinating but these days, I'm not sure I need any additional challenges getting meals on the table. Staying provisioned and mixing it up as best I can have been major challenges in and of themselves, the likes of which I'd never could have possibly imagined. :o
=R=