What did you cook today?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ronnie_suburban

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Thanks to a friend who again felt like sharing some A-5 Wagyu, I found myself with a nice slab, about a third of which became dinner tonight . . .

A-5 Wagyu Beef
Used about a third of this slab. I vacuum-sealed the remainder for later use.

A-5 Slices & Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto, 240mm
Did my best to keep them all about the same size. I don't often reach for this knife because I don't typically do well with oval handles. But cutting this beef -- and later, some onion -- I was reminded of what a glorious cutter it is, so maybe I'll try to use it more often in the future.

A-5 > Onions
Lightly-salted, a quick, two-side sear on carbon steel and last, diced onions cooking in the rendered fat.

Green Beans, Dijon Mustard & Red Miso
On another burner I seared these green beans very hot and hard in a touch of peanut oil. Once they got some color, I dropped in two cloves of crushed garlic and let it saute for just a few seconds, after which I added about 60ml of hot water and covered the pan. Once the beans had softened up just a bit, I incorporated the dijon and the miso. Once they came off the heat, I added just a few drops of toasted sesame oil.

Plated Up
Seared A-5 wagyu beef with sauteed onions, leftover pommes puree and leftover pan sauce and dijon-miso green beans.

Relief
Always happy when it comes out the way I intended it, especially with beef like this.
=R=

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I'm catching up from the other day - chicken gumbo - what's not to like right??? Here's my roux - it's your basic "two beer roux", but it was 10am so I had to go from memory.

Everybody into the pool - (sounds kind of funny these days)

With Jasmin rice - oh so good . . .

ronnie_suburban

Friday is our CSA delivery day, so instead of putting everything away, we just decided to FIFO it with a pot of soup tonight . . .

Mise & Takamura Chromax Gyuto, 210mm
Shallots, onions, turnips, trio of 'greens' (kale, turnip and red frill mustard), garlic, potatoes, hot Italian sausage and carrots. It had been a while and wow, I'd forgotten just how damned sharp that Chromax is!

Sausage & Greens Soup
This was a great use of a bunch of items from this morning's delivery, as well as two large bricks of chicken stock that were occupying some prime real estate in my freezer. And, the soup was really delicious. The sausage was spicy, the stock was rich, the veggies were sweet and the greens were bitter, so it ended up being nicely balanced. Winter is coming, so soup, stew and chili are going to be on our menu more and more, I think.
=R=

ronnie_suburban

Mike9 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:39 pm
I'm catching up from the other day - chicken gumbo - what's not to like right??? Here's my roux - it's your basic "two beer roux", but it was 10am so I had to go from memory.
Looks great, Mike. I used to live in NOLA and am planning/hoping to make some of the local specialties in the near future. I've got a few on the radar already.
=R=

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

That's funny 'cause I would never live South of Mason Dixon. The humidity would kill me I'm originally from Michigan and yeah I'm one of those guys who hate weather over 75F.

ronnie_suburban

Mike9 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 pm
That's funny 'cause I would never live South of Mason Dixon. The humidity would kill me I'm originally from Michigan and yeah I'm one of those guys who hate weather over 75F.
Haha, I was young and it didn't bother me at the time. But yeah, it sure would now. I'm definitely a cold weather, low humidity guy. I remember seeing gents walking around outside in 3-piece suits on 100+ degree days -- when the humidity was near 100% -- who weren't even breaking a sweat. I could barely ride an elevator without getting drenched. But I was young and it amused me more than anything else.
=R=

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I took up pasta and ravioli making during the summer (before moving on to bread baking). Now I make it homemade about once a week. I've gotten fast enough to make it start to finish in 45 minutes or less (depending on 4 to 6 servings), including cleanup. Cooking takes 2-3 minutes at most.

(Photos below)

I started out using a hand-cranked Marcato, but I hate the design. Works quite well, mind you, it's just that the handle crank keeps falling out! I still use it to cut pasta sheets into angel hair, but I use my Kitchenaid attachments for the most part. The KA attachments do almost an equally good job and are much faster.

I recently made my first flavored pasta, spinach fettuccine. Working with pasta dough is a lot easier than working with bread dough. No yeast, of course, and just 30 minute of resting time is needed.

The trick is getting the egg to flour proportions right. After a lot of experimenting, I use 1 large egg per 3/4 cup flour. I use a ratio of 3 to 1, double zero Italian tipo flour and semolina. Both Caputo brand bought in bulk from italianstore.com

I start out adding a bit less of the flour called for, adding as much as needed to get dough to a consistency of playdough. Neither sticky nor dry. I find it easier to do in a big metal bowl or Cambro tub instead of using the KA, though the KA and a food processor both do a great job. Whatever time I save using my machine I lose in cleanup, and doing by hand gives me a much better feel for the state of the dough. Only takes 6-10 minutes to knead.

Some people add egg yolks along with eggs, but I find such pasta dough recipes too eggy. Fine if I were trying to making egg noodles, but not what I like best for homemade pasta. It's more expensive too.

Most store-bought pastas, btw, are made of just semolina flour and water. I haven't made a pasta like that yet, but I will.

Some critics says homemade pasta is just boiled dough. True enough, but the texture cant be beat. It simply can't.

The dough It has to be wrapped when not being rolled. Otherwise it will dry and crumble.

Pasta dough doesn't like cold surfaces. Going to make myself a food-grade wood board.

The trick to getting dough not to stick to anything is to keep lightly flouring with a small flour shaker.

Once you create sheets, let them dry on each side for 10 minutes until they start to feel a bit leathery. Helps prevent them from jamming or gumming up the pasta cutter.

If the pasta sits too long - more than an hour - it will soften. Don't cover with plastic. Sprinkle lots of semolina on the pasta if dinner won't start in less than an hour. Keep the strands as separated as possible and let them dry.

Use Semolina for sprinkling. It doesn't cause the pasta water to foam and cloud and add off taste to the cooked pasta.

Pasta freezes well for up to a month. Freeze right away unless you plan to eat soon. Best to cook homemade pasta within an hour unless you are able to let it dry.
Jeffry B

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Looks great Jeffery 👍👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.

ronnie_suburban

jbart65 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 am
I took up pasta and ravioli making during the summer (before moving on to bread baking). Now I make it homemade about once a week. I've gotten fast enough to make it start to finish in 45 minutes or less (depending on 4 to 6 servings), including cleanup. Cooking takes 2-3 minutes at most.
Really, really nice. Thanks, for sharing your recipe, method and tips.
=R=

TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Outstanding job on that pasta!
Ricardo

TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Seared tuna and conch fritters. Kato AS/iron cladding.

20201017_183033.jpg
Ricardo

Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I thawed out some ground Wagyu and made Oklahoma Onion Burgers - born out of the great depression when meat was expensive and onions were cheap. These were 1/4 pound balls of beef and an equal amount of shaved onion. Put the meat in the pan, salt, pepper and onions on top then smash it flat. When ready flip, top with American cheese and stack your buns so they steam (Martin's Potato buns btw.). We topped ours with sliced pickle and a dab of ketchup. Oh my this is a delicious burger and next time I'll make them 3oz instead of 4 - yes that filling.

I forgot to take a picture of the finished product . . . again. LOL

ronnie_suburban

Still working through the tadka dal, for brunch this morning I topped some of it off with a couple of sous vide eggs . . .

Tadka Dal & Sous Vide Eggs, chives and cotija

Eggs were cooked at 167F for 12 minutes, in their shells, directly in the water bath. I'd never done this before and it worked out pretty well. They poured out of their shells easily, cleanly and without any breakage. I prefer pan-cooked eggs (over-easy or sunny side-up) because that method allows for imparting more flavor. But as a method for poaching eggs traditionally, sous vide is a really great alternative.
=R=

ronnie_suburban

Tonight it was a long-time, pantry favorite of mine: Chorizo-Bean Dip . . .

Mise En Place & Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto, 210mm
Serranos, onions, garlic, poblano (only had one) and jalapenos. Really digging this ultra precise blade and getting used to its oval handle, which is not my favorite format. I seeded most of the chiles but left the ribs and seeds in a few of them to make sure there was some heat.

Chorizo
Sauteing it to render out some fat and crisp it up a bit.

All In
After the chorizo had rendered out a bit, in went the onions, chiles and garlic.

Pantry Components
Waaay back in the day, when I was a bachelor and first starting making this dish for myself, it was strictly comprised of these items, plus the raw chorizo and grated cheese. I mixed it all together, topped it with the cheese and baked it for an hour. Over the years it got a little more elaborate, via the inclusion of the fresh items and some preliminary cooking (as pictured above). Not sure I actually improved it one bit by making these changes but maybe I'll make it the old way again sometime soon and compare it.

Baked Chorizo-Bean Dip
Everthing mixed together, dumped into a 13 x 9" casserole, topped with grated chihuahua, cheddar and cotija. Baked for an hour at 350F, covered for the first 30 minutes.

Plated Up
With tortilla chips and warm flour tortillas (both El Milagro) and homemade escabeche.

This dish really scratches the itch. My family is completely indifferent to it but sometimes -- maybe once a year -- I just have to make it for myself.
=R=

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

jbart65 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 am
I took up pasta and ravioli making during the summer (before moving on to bread baking). Now I make it homemade about once a week. I've gotten fast enough to make it start to finish in 45 minutes or less (depending on 4 to 6 servings), including cleanup. Cooking takes 2-3 minutes at most...
Similar journey to you re: pasta and bread, including making epic batches for freezing and feeding the fam. Kudos (and great post) for the spinach pasta, it looks like it turned out well.

I love my KitchenAid but this summer I tried hand rolling properly using a mattarello after watching some YouTube content by Evan Funke and then reading his book, 'American Sfoglino'. Hand rolling is less fast for batching of course, but the texture is better and the process can new meditative. But I'm usually still done within the hour.

If that's of interest out Nonnas Wood Shop on Etsy. Best value mattarellos I could find this side of Italy. I tried pasting a link but there's something odd going on with Etsy for me right now.

And if you like spinach pasta and choose to delve into Evan Funke's world, check out his recipe for balanzoni with butter, sage and hazelnuts. Mind blowing. Especially if you as a little honey.
Attachments
BFD02A72-FC8D-4725-A70E-CC743A77D1ED.jpeg
FEB39368-7BBB-405A-896E-829718B2D77E.jpeg
F883D489-A834-4E0F-8C8B-9E2BDE3C19D6.jpeg

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Rolling out pasta by hand? Not for me! (-:

I am interested in seeing if there is a notable difference, though. The stuff that comes out of my roller is pretty damned good texturally. Be curious to know why hand rolling would produce a better texture than manual rolling. Pasta gets beat up more?

But yes, I do go from one thing to another. Try to master something for 3 months, 6 months, a year. Keep doing it now and then but move on to a new mountain to climb! (-:
Jeffry B